ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22583 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »

I'm trying to choose the best method when only using one single sub.
That's what my configuration was for.
I think you are over thinking this; it's actually fairly straight forward.
Just L and R sends, no aux sub.

Run full range left and right channel into the A and B inputs of both your amps.
Use the internal crossovers for the outputs for tops and subs.
On the left amp, the left channel goes to the top. (L to L)
On the right amp, the right channel goes to the top. (R to R)
On both amps, the left and right channels are summed internally and sent to the sub with the other output channel than the tops. (L+R to sub).

You will get stereo mains and mono subs, whether you are running one sub on either side or two subs.
You would mute the sub out you aren't using.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »

Run full range left and right channel into the A and B inputs of both your amps.
On both amps, the left and right channels are summed internally and sent to the sub with the other output channel than the tops. (L+R to sub).

You will get stereo mains and mono subs, whether you are running one sub on either side or two subs.

Thanks Dave....I see that now.
Couldn't get my head around it - maybe I needed a diagram....
Or maybe it is because  I had to make the decision to have my little 13 year old dog go to sleep today and I am not thinking clearly - it has been a very very sad day for our family.
I'm super cut up right now and wanted to distract myself by thinking about my rig - sorry I should have understood this earlier..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »

Or maybe it is because  I had to make the decision to have my little 13 year old dog go to sleep today and I am not thinking clearly - it has been a very very sad day for our family.
I'm super cut up right now and wanted to distract myself by thinking about my rig - sorry I should have understood this earlier..

:( :( :'(
So sorry.  It sucks losing a pet.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »

Sorry to see this Debbie... I understand.  It is one of the most stressful decisions some of us have to make. 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »

Debbie, sorry for the loss.

If distractions are helpful then we're here to help.

But by all means; put this on the back burner if it feels necessary.

All the best,
Nathan

^^ this is what I was trying to get at earlier.

Except forgo the 4 cables constantly. You only need two cables when running stereo.
You need 3 cables when running one sub.

If I'm thinking this through properly...
This actually works out well as you don't need multiple presets or to even think about maintaining sub/top ratio.
The +6dB gained from summing L+R makes up for the loss of the 2nd sub.

It becomes automatic.
No messing with console settings or summing the alt outs.
No aux subs.
No 100ballion presets.
KISSaint

In Armonia+
Config > Input > Ch. Settings > [Make analog first]
Config > Matrix > Ch. 2 (sub) > [analog 2 level up]

Single sub:
Stage Right (house left)
mixer_L-out > T602(Left)_Ch1 > Main L

Stage Left (house right)
mixer_R-out > T602(Right)_Ch1 > Main R
mixer_L-out > T602(Right)_Ch2 > Sub (summed R & L)

Stereo Subs:
Stage Right (house left)
mixer_L-out > T602(Left)_Ch1 > Main L + Sub L

Stage Left (house right)
mixer_R-out > T602(Right)_Ch1 > Main R + Sub R
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2019, 01:41:32 AM »

Have you considered running a single PRX sub with the SM80s for your smaller jobs?

Paul Miller

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 05:05:10 AM »

Debbie I'm so sorry you had to put your dog to sleep. This Danley business can wait, just take care of yourself. I'll be keeping you and little doggo Dunkley in my thoughts.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »

With all those factors I would just use the crossovers in the amp and run the rig in stereo.  As I mentioned earlier I am sure you have all your inputs high passed appropriately to keep the mud out of your mix so the aux fed some seems like a diminishing return once this entire picture is factored in.
I agree with the Scott's assessment of diminishing returns on all of this.

Debbie,

Understanding your desire to not lose any content when only using one sub, but are you actually panning anything that has a lot of sub content in it in the first place? Except for a stereo keyboard, or pre recorded stuff; I don't see that you're really going to lose much sonically only using one sub in a stereo configuration.

I'm thinking that most things that are typically panned would be high passed enough to either not be in the subs, or in the case of small room;  where you typically would be only using one sub aren't in the FOH enough to notice, like drums.

Before you get too complicated and start running all these addition cables to your amps you might want to set up your next gig in stereo, then try try turning off one sub in the stereo configuration,of course  turning  it up to compensate for the lost volume and then see what you're actually losing sonically.

Depending how you typically set you HPFs, you may find you're not losing anything.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:09:35 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »

I agree with the Scott's assessment of diminishing returns on all of this.

Debbie,

Understanding your desire to not lose any content when only using one sub, but are you actually panning anything that has a lot of sub content in it in the first place? Except for a stereo keyboard, or pre recorded stuff; I don't see that you're really going to lose much sonically only using one sub in a stereo configuration.

I'm thinking that most things that are typically panned would be high passed enough to either not be in the subs, or in the case of small room;  where you typically would be only using one sub aren't in the FOH enough to notice, like drums.

Before you get too complicated and start running all these addition cables to your amps you might want to set up your next gig in stereo, then try try turning off one sub in the stereo configuration,of course  turning  it up to compensate for the lost volume and then see what you're actually losing sonically.

Depending how you typically set you HPFs, you may find you're not losing anything.

Thanks Scott - good idea and good points.  That would be an easy and fast test for me - will do.

BTW - Thank you everyone for all the kind comments regarding my sweet little Bella. She certainly stole my heart.
I have owned dogs and cats all my life and have loved and still love each and every single one of them but sometimes one takes all of your heart - Bella was the one.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »

Sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog.

When you feel up to being distracted by gear...
One other benefit of doing the sub signal summing internally in the amps is that you would still have your alt output free for record/delay/etc.
Dave's pencil cad drawing is the best explanation yet.
No extra cabling required, as no matter how you do this (summed at mixer/aux fed/summed at amps), there will be two signal cables required to each amp. With your D snake and console on opposite sides they are just short jumpers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.