ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22581 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »

Debbie;

How is the new system? Still going out with it? Haven't heard much and was wondering how you like it now that you've had it for awhile. Hoping to see some pictures and video's.

Kindest regards;

Douglas R. Allen

I had a bunch of small shows over the holidays and we are taking some time off to work in a new singer in the band so I haven't used the system as much as I want to - it is eating me alive!!!!
However, the shows we have done so far I have absolutely LOVED the results.  I don't have to work very hard to get a good sound but more importantly I can get a good sound in a not so good sounding rooms.
One thing that won't affect most but is a good indication of how feedback resistant the SM80's are....as you probably know, I sing from the FOH position through a wireless headset mic in our main band and in the past this has caused me pause when it comes to FOH positioning.
I find I have to be closer to the stage than I would like so as to reduce vocal latency and to 'be part of the band' yet if I am too close, I risk feedback from my mic  ...but then  of course I would prefer to be in a decent mixing position farther back - so I have to make compromises and walk back using my iPad regularly to check the sound.  Finding that sweet spot has been tough. However, because the Danley system is more feedback resistant - perhaps the Dual Concentric design? - I can position myself anywhere I want to now and I get zero feedback problems...... An added benefit I didn't know I would get but for me has been a HUGE bonus.

The bass through those TH118's is rich and so defined so happy hubby in that department.
Vocals cut through well - I think I just had to get used to the sound of not hearing a horn. I have dialed in those mid to upper frequencies now and boy does it sound good.
I am doing what others said might happen and I am finding myself working at slightly louder levels than before (oops) YET I get no complaints because the sound is so darn good.

I will get some pickies soon. I've never been much of a picture taker - once I get to a show, I get in the zone and I forget about everything else I'm afraid...

Next show for me where PA is needed is mid Feb where I will only use one TH118 but I can get pretty loud in there so that will be a good blow out for me.

I have an outdoor show coming up in March where I have been using the SRX800 system for 5 years and before that for about 3 years I used the SRX700 system so I'll be able to compare apples to apples using just 1 x TH118 and 1 x SM80 per side.  I'll definitely get some picks at that one.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Fruits

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »

The bass through those TH118's is rich and so defined so happy hubby in that department.

I will get some pickies soon. I've never been much of a picture taker - once I get to a show, I get in the zone and I forget about everything else I'm afraid...
Hmmmmm, if memory serves, it was hubby who first suggested getting a Danley system.  Methinks he had a hidden agenda.
I should point out that the word pickies is easily misread as pickles!!!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2020, 04:12:21 PM »

Hmmmmm, if memory serves, it was hubby who first suggested getting a Danley system.  Methinks he had a hidden agenda.
I should point out that the word pickies is easily misread as pickles!!!
Hah - yes, it was hubby who suggested the Danley. And there I was thinking it was for ME!

In fact when I type 'pickies' - spell check corrects too pickles...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:46:11 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2020, 04:44:34 PM »

Because we all know how well *sound* shows up in pickles... er, pictures.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2020, 04:52:59 PM »

Debbie;

Thanks for the reply!
Looking forward to the pictures and even a low quality cell phone video should you find someone to do a quick one in the crowd. Glad it passes the "hubby approval" also.  :)

Thanks again;
  Douglas R. Allen

I had a bunch of small shows over the holidays and we are taking some time off to work in a new singer in the band so I haven't used the system as much as I want to - it is eating me alive!!!!
However, the shows we have done so far I have absolutely LOVED the results.  I don't have to work very hard to get a good sound but more importantly I can get a good sound in a not so good sounding rooms.
One thing that won't affect most but is a good indication of how feedback resistant the SM80's are....as you probably know, I sing from the FOH position through a wireless headset mic in our main band and in the past this has caused me pause when it comes to FOH positioning.
I find I have to be closer to the stage than I would like so as to reduce vocal latency and to 'be part of the band' yet if I am too close, I risk feedback from my mic  ...but then  of course I would prefer to be in a decent mixing position farther back - so I have to make compromises and walk back using my iPad regularly to check the sound.  Finding that sweet spot has been tough. However, because the Danley system is more feedback resistant - perhaps the Dual Concentric design? - I can position myself anywhere I want to now and I get zero feedback problems...... An added benefit I didn't know I would get but for me has been a HUGE bonus.

Vocals cut through well - I think I just had to get used to the sound of not hearing a horn. I have dialed in those mid to upper frequencies now and boy does it sound good.
I am doing what others said might happen and I am finding myself working at slightly louder levels than before (oops) YET I get no complaints because the sound is so darn good.

Next show for me where PA is needed is mid Feb where I will only use one TH118 but I can get pretty loud in there so that will be a good blow out for me.

I have an outdoor show coming up in March where I have been using the SRX800 system for 5 years and before that for about 3 years I used the SRX700 system so I'll be able to compare apples to apples using just 1 x TH118 and 1 x SM80 per side.  I'll definitely get some picks at that one.

John L Nobile

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »

I don't get to use my SM80's very often anymore but they always impress. Next Saturday I'm going to deploy them as sidewash. They work really well for that as well. I have 5 teenage singers (at least I hope they're singers). They want a clean stage. I put one SM LPM in each corner and the SM80's for sidewash. Clean and great coverage.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »

Because we all know how well *sound* shows up in pickles... er, pictures.

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »

Or, 'I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle'.  ;D
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:40 AM »

Pickles or it didn’t happen!  ;D
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:40 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.