ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22249 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »

If your left and right side amps each have two inputs, run L and R main feed to both inputs on each amp.
On the Right side, feed the right input through to the top, and sum the L&R to the sub.
On the Left side, feed the left input through to the top, and sum the L&R to the sub.
This will work for any situation; single sub on either side, or both subs.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »

If your left and right side amps each have two inputs, run L and R main feed to both inputs on each amp.
On the Right side, feed the right input through to the top, and sum the L&R to the sub.
On the Left side, feed the left input through to the top, and sum the L&R to the sub.

Bingo! This is simple enough that even I could remember how it works from one gig to the next. The input matrix on the Powersofts makes it easy to configure. This is assuming you're OK with mono, and not aux-fed, subs. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »

Yes it would be nice to remain consistent in both amps that way.   I believe I need to make a change to the channel input section though as in the photo I provided. This was what Chris posted in the other thread as one of the steps to help me set the DSP so that I could use one channel only to feed both outputs. If I am needing to use both inputs per amp for the single sub configuration, then I will have to adjust those settings and save as a preset I guess..... if turning up channel 2 will prevent channel one from feeding both outputs when I need to use 2 subs then I'll need a separate pre set for the single sub configuration.
Either that or always run 2 inputs per amp regardless of 1 sub or 2 sub set up.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »

Bingo! This is simple enough that even I could remember how it works from one gig to the next. The input matrix on the Powersofts makes it easy to configure. This is assuming you're OK with mono, and not aux-fed, subs. --Frank

Oh I didn't read it that way.... I need stereo tops.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »

Oh I didn't read it that way.... I need stereo tops.

I don't know the QU, does it have a matrix function?  If it did I would send the L&R stereo to each side as discussed with a high pass as a last measure safety feature.  Then I would run on mono matrix for the sub.  I don't think the aux fed subs give you any real advantage, especially on smaller gigs.  You are already going to have a HPF on the inputs that don't feed require reinforcement of the subwoofers.

I also take it from your statement that the D-Snake has duplicate outputs of the QU?  So the matrix can appear on both sides?  The 1/4 is not an issue as long as it is TRS balanced and you remember to add a TRS to xlr to you standard pack.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »

I don't know the QU, does it have a matrix function?  If it did I would send the L&R stereo to each side as discussed with a high pass as a last measure safety feature.  Then I would run on mono matrix for the sub.  I don't think the aux fed subs give you any real advantage, especially on smaller gigs.  You are already going to have a HPF on the inputs that don't feed require reinforcement of the subwoofers.

I also take it from your statement that the D-Snake has duplicate outputs of the QU?  So the matrix can appear on both sides?  The 1/4 is not an issue as long as it is TRS balanced and you remember to add a TRS to xlr to you standard pack.

Yes I can take from either the mixer or the D snake outputs - the snake has all XLR ins and outs. The mixer has all XLR other than TRS alt outs. I take TRS>XLRM and XLRF cables with me every show.

I do have a couple of matrices but only in stereo i believe.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:03:49 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »

Yes it would be nice to remain consistent in both amps that way.   I believe I need to make a change to the channel input section though as in the photo I provided. This was what Chris posted in the other thread as one of the steps to help me set the DSP so that I could use one channel only to feed both outputs. If I am needing to use both inputs per amp for the single sub configuration, then I will have to adjust those settings and save as a preset I guess..... if turning up channel 2 will prevent channel one from feeding both outputs when I need to use 2 subs then I'll need a separate pre set for the single sub configuration.
Either that or always run 2 inputs per amp regardless of 1 sub or 2 sub set up.

Yes, always 2 inputs to each side.  This makes it so you don't have to change ANYTHING to run any of your sub configurations.
It gives you stereo tops and mono subs, in any setup.
No matrix, no aux fed, just L&R feeds to both amps.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 10:07:38 PM »

Yes, always 2 inputs to each side.  This makes it so you don't have to change ANYTHING to run any of your sub configurations.
It gives you stereo tops and mono subs, in any setup.
No matrix, no aux fed, just L&R feeds to both amps.

I think I'm a little confused. I've got to get the mono summed feeds to the subs from somewhere so I need to use aux or alt outs - no? Also L& R feeds to BOTH amps? yes ... I am confused - my brain hurts now.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »

I think I'm a little confused. I've got to get the mono summed feeds to the subs from somewhere so I need to use aux or alt outs - no? Also L& R feeds to BOTH amps? yes ... I am confused - my brain hurts now.

That's why I asked you if that board has a matrix.  The matrix would do the summing then you route the matrix to your output.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »

So what you're doing is feeding L and R to the two inputs on the Powersoft.  Then in the DSP of the Amp you're telling it to sum those two inputs and output that signal to your sub channel and take Only input 1 for your Left top [or input 2 for Right] and feed that out of the second amp channel to your tops.

I wasn't sure that the PowerSoft could mix it's inputs but apparently you can, so this is a good simple solution.  If you decide you want to run stereo subs on a gig, it's just a routing change in your amps which i presume have presets for exactly this kind of situation....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.