ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend some under-500 dollar home studio monitors.  (Read 4592 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Recommend some under-500 dollar home studio monitors.
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 03:01:52 AM »

This is my first choice actually. I really don't know much about headphones because I rarely actually use them. Even live. But the Grado name consistently keeps coming up year after year with top marks.

I have had my Shure SRH440's for a few years and have barely used them. Mostly checking IEM packs or troubleshooting. I never use them for mixing really.

Mixing over cans is a different experience, IMHO.  If Dick Rees were still participating here I'm sure he could fill us in - much of his live work was direct-to-2 track for broadcast and all were mixed in part on GK UltraPhones.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »

There are many good choices for monitor speakers and headphones. But no matter which you ultimately choose, I wholeheartedly recommend getting a copy of this software from Sonarworks:

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

This is a sound driver that can correct your speakers for your mixing room so that you hear as flat a response as possible. You can purchase their special calibrated reference mic, or you can use one of your own. I had one left over from an old Peavey VSX26 (for the built-in RTA function). Any similar calibration mic will work.

Using this software driver makes a world of difference in the quality of your output mix when using a PC and near-field monitors in less-than-acoustically-perfect rooms.

I have the Scarlett 2i2 interface, JBL LSR305 speakers and a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones. I purchased the Sonarworks package and calibrated my speakers to be "flat". Sonarworks comes already with built-in presets for a number of popular headphones. You can easily switch the EQ correction back and forth between your speakers and headphones.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.