ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for recommendation for a hardware dmx controller for intelligent lights.  (Read 4186 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA

Are you open to using a laptop? This really sounds like a great application for DMXIS.

I'm in a similar situation- I run sound, play guitar, sing backups, and run lights.
For lighting, I use a small laptop (Lenovo X130e) running DMXIS. Depending upon the gig, I use either a midi foot controller to change scenes or I use a dual foot switch connected directly to the DMXIS hardware to select scenes.

Geert Friedhof

Maybe the Work LS-1 or LS-core would work for you?

Mal Brown

Are you open to using a laptop? This really sounds like a great application for DMXIS.

I'm in a similar situation- I run sound, play guitar, sing backups, and run lights.
For lighting, I use a small laptop (Lenovo X130e) running DMXIS. Depending upon the gig, I use either a midi foot controller to change scenes or I use a dual foot switch connected directly to the DMXIS hardware to select scenes.

Rich, which midi controller footswitch are you using ?  I'm half into and out of Onyx.  it seems that I may be able to interface a midi footswitch there...  The fcb-1010 looks like a lot of switch in every conceivable way.  The thing is huge...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Maybe the Work LS-1 or LS-core would work for you?

Blizzard sells these and just left one at the shop for use to play with.  I am planning on doing a user report as soon as I am up to speed on it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail

This is for me in my band, running sound, doing lights, playing bass and singing...

"Hi, my name is Joe, and I work in a button factory. . ."

I was at LDI last week looking for a lighting control solution. Here's what I learned. . .

ChamSys QuickQ seems to be the lowest common denominator for a full-featured pro lighting desk. The software is identical all the way up the line and through the MagicQ desks. The only difference is the number of hardware controls. The desks interface with visualization software (included, for offline designing) and have pro features like RDM, palettes and effects (built in routines for movers and color chases and such). You can plug in an external monitor and mouse. They have a tablet/phone app for running shows and you can put the console on your existing wi-fi show control network. You can add a USB foot switch on the QuickQ 10 and you get MIDI on the 20.

I think most LDs know how to use a ChamSys console. Important for hiring people in. The pricing is 50% cheaper than any other pro console from a reputable manufacturer.

ETC was great to talk to. If I were going to choose my support team it would be these guys. The ETC ColorSource consoles are very nice. No external monitor, MIDI or network control on the base units but they have USB support for normal devices. The ColorSource AV consoles add network and external monitor support with some video capability. I didn't get into the network controls on these consoles. Looks like their control software app is browser based like the Ui24r.

Video to give you an idea why you want effects in your lighting console. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbysjbCXmI

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Geert Friedhof

QuickQ is a $2000-3000 solution. For movers you would want at least the QuickQ 20.

BTW i've been using MagicQ for 10 years now. I'm a big fan. I too am looking for an affordable hardware based solution, for small gigs that do not require a LJ, but still make it easy to manage the led lights and movers.
I don't want to rely on a tablet ($400, luminair for $100), or computer to send the artnet (to an artnet node for $200-300). I only want control signals. I don't like LJ-ing, especially if the controller is one of those simpletons. It also has to fit in my 6u DL32-X32core racks.

Hence my interest in the Work LS1core. A small (1u option) controller with web based control for $500-600. Full native usb midi controller support. Support seems decent. It's like an U24r for lighting. I don't know of any other product that comes even close to that. Please educate me, prove me wrong.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

QuickQ is a $2000-3000 solution.

That it is, but I see it as one of the few available hardware options that bridges the $200 DJ controllers and the $7000+ consoles.  For some reason we have yet to see a revolution in affordable lighting control like the X32 did to audio.  I don’t think the QuickQ will be that product, but at least it’s a very viable option to those needing more horsepower but don’t have the budget for a mainstream professional console. 

ETC was great to talk to. If I were going to choose my support team it would be these guys. The ETC ColorSource consoles are very nice.

I second this.  As both an ETC user and owner I can vouch that their support is second to none.  One word of caution with the ColorSource boards is that they have a relatively low fixture capacity.  ETC budgets device count as well as channel (output) count on these boards, so it’s important to ensure you’re sizing the product correctly before making a purchase.  ETC now also owns the Hog Series of consoles, so that’s another excellent option for a mainstream console with ETC backing (although at a mainstream console price).  Looking back on the SmartFade option, despite being a discontinued solution ETC will support their legacy products indefinitely. 

Rick Powell

You might get lucky and find an original Elation or ADJ ShowDesigner that works for cheap. MIDI inputs and it can program movers. I found mine for $150 on eBay. The ShowDesigner 1 is a step up and can be found used in the 400-500 range. The only caveat is that the original ShowDesigner is long discontinued and some parts might be hard to find if ever needed (although I did get some replacement faders awhile back).

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

That it is, but I see it as one of the few available hardware options that bridges the $200 DJ controllers and the $7000+ consoles.  For some reason we have yet to see a revolution in affordable lighting control like the X32 did to audio.  I don’t think the QuickQ will be that product, but at least it’s a very viable option to those needing more horsepower but don’t have the budget for a mainstream professional console. 

Yeah. This market is full of DIY computer-based setups right now. Most Churches are running some form of PC and Fader solution. I have 3 MagicQ setups running here. All three have touchscreen all-in-one PC's. 1 has the bigger controller, one has the mini faders and the other is a PC only. It's nice in that I can train people how to use one and they can grow into the others, but I would have loved a 2000 dollar full console back when I was buying.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Looking for recommendation for a hardware dmx controller for intelligent lights.
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.