ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for recommendation for a hardware dmx controller for intelligent lights.  (Read 4187 times)

Mal Brown

This is for me in my band, running sound, doing lights, playing bass and singing...

I'm thinking Midi in for footswitch control of scene swapping.
Would like to be able to handle 24 8 channel intelligent fixtures plus a 2 to 4 14 or 16 channel moving heads.  Those will be inverted pairs.

The Blizzard ProKontrol is sooo close.  No midi in and I really want a foot switch for black out and then scene 1 which is the between songs scene.

so...what's the best you've found for this sort of thing.

Thanks!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

duane massey

Elation/ADJ Showdesigner 1. Nothing else compares in the price range. Not for a novice, but incredibly powerful for an experienced programmer.
(edit) Actually, the Showdesgner 2. Just re-read your post and realized how many fixtures you want to operate. The SD 1 would work, although programming would be slightly more challenging if you want individual control over each fixture.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:52:43 PM by duane massey »
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

So...what's the best you've found for this sort of thing.

A professional-grade light console.  Assuming that you’re not looking to make that sort of investment though, I’d look towards the ChamSys QuickQ or similar (model dependent on output capability).  I’ve gone on this tangent in other threads, but I cannot stress enough the importance of getting a proper console when looking to really step up in lighting.  The cheap sub-$1000 boards are great until they’re not.  While they can often be shoehorned if needed, having the right programming tools at your fingertips is so much nicer and makes the lighting design process substantially easier.  My ETC Congo Kid would run that rig without breaking a sweat, but sadly it’s a discontinued product.  What’s your budget?

Mal Brown

I have an M-Touch, laptop and Onyx rig for sound co use.  so far it doesn't do Midi so no foot switch...  I am not overly versed in Onyx p, yet... getting there but it's kinda big and bulky.  really assumes that a user already speaks theater as well...

I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck under say $500.  If I could do it in $300 that would be even better...  The Prokontrol is $320 ... only thing it lacks is of course the midi...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

I honestly can’t think of any hardware boards under $500 worth owning with the intention of driving a 28 fixture rig with short of getting very lucky on the used market.  Heck, there are even very few boards under $5000 that I’d want to use!  DMXIS can do MIDI and is under $500, but it’s not hardware.  Not to repeat myself, but given the complexity of even the “average” fixtures on the market these days, having a quality controller/console is really a must in my opinion to get the most from your investment. 

Mal Brown

well this is a band that is basically a winery, second time around wedding band. mUsic for drinking yuppies...  Most of my fixtures are 8 channel.  just a few movers that go beyond that.  for the band, I am heavily scene dependent... The proKontrol allows you to set the dmx address  of a fixture  button ... more fixtures  and scenes on the top layer.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

duane massey

well this is a band that is basically a winery, second time around wedding band. mUsic for drinking yuppies...  Most of my fixtures are 8 channel.  just a few movers that go beyond that.  for the band, I am heavily scene dependent... The proKontrol allows you to set the dmx address  of a fixture  button ... more fixtures  and scenes on the top layer.
For $700 you can get a Showdesigner 1. 99 pages with 16 scenes per page. Each scene can include chases, and the speed(s) of each chase can be stored as part of the scene. You can have more than 16 fixtures by using the "multi" function which allows you to have control over 2 or more fixtures, which would be very simple with the 8-channel fixtures you have. Although it does not contain any "automatic" features for LED par fixtures it is very easy to build your own from scratch. You can call up 99 scenes via midi note.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

The ETC Smartfade ML will do what you want *I THINK*.

I'm not a user of the SFML. but I have one here at the church (That I would be willing to sell) and I found this online....
From the above info you will see that you can only control the fader masters of MEMORY channels, change memory fader banks, Memory bumps,  master control faders (Live Next Bump & Grand Master), go to a step in the Stack or reset, start or pause the Stack or activate Blackout.

This means that if you want to control just a single DMX CHANNEL via midi you will first need to record that single channel to a memory location, then activate that memory by the memory bank and fader midi messages. 

Upshot is that you still need to do all your programming on the SFML, then trigger those memories or the stack via MIDI messages.

You may find this interesting:

http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/smartfade-touchosc-layouts.aspx

I made this layout for Touch OSC more as a wireless remote for SFML - it works entirely on midi m

The Smartfade consoles are getting cheap on the used market. I would make you a good deal.

For anyone else watching this, I have a Smartfade ML, and a non-ML. I'll sell either for cheap money. If you need a "pro-ish" light board, hit me up.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

Mal, I’d highly consider taking Tim up on his offer.  The Smartfade is a decent board that’s far better than most boards at its price point - especially used.  The Smartfade can also work with a computer to aid in programming, which really makes it hit above its weight.  Barring something else turning up I think this is definitely your best option.  Good luck!

Mal Brown

Thanks!  PM sent to Tim.  Seems like an interesting board from what I'm reading
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Looking for recommendation for a hardware dmx controller for intelligent lights.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:25:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.