ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: small speaker recommendation  (Read 5143 times)

Steve Loewenthal

small speaker recommendation
« on: November 10, 2019, 01:21:26 PM »

I am wanting to acquire a small speaker to upgrade from my Mackie SRM150.
The primary purpose for this acquisition is to take with me on vacations and use it to play music from sources such as phones, laptops, and other such music player sources.
This speaker may also potentially be used for a secondary purpose as a personal monitor with the band, but the primary purpose is much more of a consideration.
The speaker needs to have some minimal mixer capabilities built in so that it can accept the sound level output by music players or my bluetooth receiver. Minimal tone controls are highly preferred, but not absolutely required.
It does not need to have bluetooth, built in, but that would also be a plus.
Size is also a big consideration. The SRM150 is width: 11.5 in, depth: 7 in, height: 8 in.
I am willing to go a little bigger, but not too much.
I am hoping to purchase the item used, but will consider new.
I don't know what my real budget is right now, but I will make sure it is sufficient.
As a comparison, on one particular vacation, a friend brought a K8 and we could hear the K8 side by side with the SRM150. The K8 would definitely be an upgrade.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: small speaker recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »

The primary purpose for this acquisition is to take with me on vacations and use it to play music from sources such as phones, laptops, and other such music player sources.
This speaker may also potentially be used for a secondary purpose as a personal monitor with the band, but the primary purpose is much more of a consideration.
The speaker needs to have some minimal mixer capabilities built in so that it can accept the sound level output by music players or my bluetooth receiver. Minimal tone controls are highly preferred, but not absolutely required.
Size is also a big consideration. The SRM150 is width: 11.5 in, depth: 7 in, height: 8 in.
I don't know what my real budget is right now, but I will make sure it is sufficient.
As a comparison, on one particular vacation, a friend brought a K8 and we could hear the K8 side by side with the SRM150. The K8 would definitely be an upgrade.

Yamaha DXR8 is similar to the K8.
Also look at AudioEngine home speakers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »

The EV ZXA1 makes a decent small monitor, and has separate mic and line inputs, but no tone controls.

They're a little pricey new (~$500), but I did find one at a pawn shop for $200, and snapped it up right away.

GTD

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 04:15:22 PM »

The EV ZXA1, QSC K8, and Yamaha DXR8 are all great speakers. All 3 are about 18 x 11 x 11. I was hoping someone might have come up with a smaller size cabinet to hold an 8 inch speaker. All are within an acceptable price range.
While I indicated earlier that the primary consideration is quality music playback and band use is only secondary, being able to use it for band use helps me to fool myself into rationalizing a justification for such a purchase. As such, while AudioEngine may be a consideration, it eliminates some of my said ability to justify the purchase, no matter how non-rational such justification may be. (Yes this purchase may be just another manifestation of GAS.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

Has anyone heard the Mackie DLM8, and if so, how does it compare to the K8 etc? (And has Mackie returned to being a reliable brand again?)
Steve Loewenthal

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 08:25:13 PM »

Hi Steve,

Take a look at the DBTech K300.

Good health,  Weogo

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »

Take a look at the DBTech K300.

I like that it is smaller than the other pa speakers mentioned thus far. Have you heard it and can you compare it to any of the others?
Steve Loewenthal

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 12:31:24 AM »

The QSC K8.2 blew me away when I heard it, punched way above its size IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the same could be said of the Yamaha DXR8 but I haven't heard it. The DXR8 may be the best value right now because the original models are currently selling much less than the new mk2 version ($150 less at Sweetwater, for example).

I'm not a big fan of Bose but their S1 Pro system could fit the bill if you want something that can run off an internal battery. It won't come close to the above 8" cabs in volume but if you don't need that kind of output then it could be a good choice.

All of the above options have decent in-out options.

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 03:58:36 AM »

The QSC K8.2 blew me away when I heard it, punched way above its size IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the same could be said of the Yamaha DXR8 but I haven't heard it. The DXR8 may be the best value right now because the original models are currently selling much less than the new mk2 version ($150 less at Sweetwater, for example).

I'm not a big fan of Bose but their S1 Pro system could fit the bill if you want something that can run off an internal battery. It won't come close to the above 8" cabs in volume but if you don't need that kind of output then it could be a good choice.

All of the above options have decent in-out options.

For what you’re describing the Bose S1 would be a great fit. I busk, and brought it primarily for that, but it’s a great Bluetooth speaker as well.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 02:46:34 PM »

For what you’re describing the Bose S1 would be a great fit. I busk, and brought it primarily for that, but it’s a great Bluetooth speaker as well.
we have a couple of these in hire stock and they seem to do well with buskers and the like. I heard a Mackie dlm8 a few years ago and I thought it sounded good for it's size and price

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 02:46:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.