ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade or add?  (Read 4424 times)

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
Upgrade or add?
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »

Ok, so I’m fighting with myself over my next lighting upgrade or addition. So first let’s describe my current situation. One band I work with I only use front trees with 4 led pars per tree. These are a mix of blizzard and ADJ pars. Another band I work with was getting the same, however last year has asked for more “production”. They used to own equipment and sold everything off and now just hire out(usually me). I bought their complete lighting rig which basically consists of 16 pars, similar to my ADJ pars. I use 3 trees of 4 pars each for backlight using the pars I bought from them. Since then I’ve upgraded my controller to a vista rig to handle any upgrades since my little nsi dinosaur couldn’t cut it anymore.

So here’s my dilemma.
Option 1
I can replace my front wash lights to get a better white and better colors. This option probably won’t get noticed as much by audience members, but would be useful on all of my shows.

Option 2
Add a batten light to the trees vertically with individual pixel control to get more movement from the light rig.

Option 3
Add some small movers to the rig. This option has lots to think about. I’ve got control for them but I don’t have atmosphere and I don’t think most venues will allow it. Also it has the greatest price point. So I was leaning towards a wash fixture if I go this route but that’s also open for debate since I have a bunch of static wash.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. This will most definitely be next years purchase.

David

Mal Brown

Re: Upgrade or add?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »

just enough front light to wash the stage and get everything else in the back.  I want to be able to mix it up a bit show to show as for as movement goes.  One show will have some cheap movers on the floor mostly behind the drum kit set to sound active.  I'll scatter some Chauvet Freedom sticks and use the IR to trigger some of the auto programs.

Next time the movers might be up high with the pars and above a motion drape setup.

for me the key is - I'm a sound guy that does some lighting, not a lighting guy or a lighting guy that does some sound...   work the auto programs and develop some basic scenes on your controller.  Include a default scene for front light only.   Hit that to kill the movement between songs.  Maybe include a couple of the rear pars in it if they are up high.  Keep the front lights in brightness lower than you think.  The 'scene' is a little moodier that way and you can vary the mood with color selection...   

Save a little for the dance floor.  The band wants to see some audience...

If you are in a really big room, forget all that and just get the band seen!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »

just enough front light to wash the stage and get everything else in the back.  I want to be able to mix it up a bit show to show as for as movement goes.  One show will have some cheap movers on the floor mostly behind the drum kit set to sound active.  I'll scatter some Chauvet Freedom sticks and use the IR to trigger some of the auto programs.

Next time the movers might be up high with the pars and above a motion drape setup.

for me the key is - I'm a sound guy that does some lighting, not a lighting guy or a lighting guy that does some sound...   work the auto programs and develop some basic scenes on your controller.  Include a default scene for front light only.   Hit that to kill the movement between songs.  Maybe include a couple of the rear pars in it if they are up high.  Keep the front lights in brightness lower than you think.  The 'scene' is a little moodier that way and you can vary the mood with color selection...   

Save a little for the dance floor.  The band wants to see some audience...

If you are in a really big room, forget all that and just get the band seen!

This^

Another thing you probably already know, but aim front lights at the chest - not the face.

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 04:14:18 PM »

This^

Another thing you probably already know, but aim front lights at the chest - not the face.

That’s actually something I haven’t been doing. Thanks for that tip. I am a sound guy first, but I do enjoy the lights as well. However in the past all my clients just want a general stage wash, which means I’m bringing a pair of trees for a front wash and that’s it. So now that I have a client wanting more, I’ve got 12 pars across the back plus the front wash. My question is more about what to add next since I can’t have haze, or should I upgrade my front wash to quad or even a hex leds as opposed to the individual color leds I run now. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »

Hi David, here’s my two cents.

While few things bother me more as an LD than an RGB-mixed white, I doubt your average client will care or notice the improvement.  As you move higher up the totem pole of Pars you also increase in cost, and while the benefits might be useful in some situations, I don’t think that will have the best return on investment.

Batten lights (or LED bars) can help, but one thing I try to avoid with my setups is a very disjointed look to the system. If you go this route, you’ll want the bars to be programmed in concert with your other lights and not just doing their own thing for the sake of having more lights.  Along those lines, adding moving lights to your rig can be useful if done right, but similar to RGB-mixed whites - drives me nuts as an LD when I see trusses full of cheap lights all in auto mode.  Tasteful programming here is a must.

When some of my clients ask for “more” than just the basics, they’re often asking for a larger visual presentation than just fixture count.  Uplighting, truss, and truss warmers can work wonders here.  Replacing tripods with uplit truss totems, replacing Guitar Center I-Beams with truss arches, and programming all the lighting to be in synch with everything else going on adds to your presentation value without necessarily investing in expensive fixtures or relying on the ability to use fog.  That’s the route I’d consider.  Hope this helps! 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 12:14:35 AM »

FWIW, I am a fan of using the same fixture for all of my wash lights. If you have a few "oddball" lights, consider moving those out of your inventory sooner rather than later.  Having less than four of the same fixture seems like a waste to me, unless it is a specialty item (like a gobo projector) that isn't part of the general lighting plan. I find that having 8 of the same fixtures is more flexible (and nicer looking) than two different sets of four.  YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »

Hi David, here’s my two cents.

While few things bother me more as an LD than an RGB-mixed white, I doubt your average client will care or notice the improvement.  As you move higher up the totem pole of Pars you also increase in cost, and while the benefits might be useful in some situations, I don’t think that will have the best return on investment.

Batten lights (or LED bars) can help, but one thing I try to avoid with my setups is a very disjointed look to the system. If you go this route, you’ll want the bars to be programmed in concert with your other lights and not just doing their own thing for the sake of having more lights.  Along those lines, adding moving lights to your rig can be useful if done right, but similar to RGB-mixed whites - drives me nuts as an LD when I see trusses full of cheap lights all in auto mode.  Tasteful programming here is a must.

When some of my clients ask for “more” than just the basics, they’re often asking for a larger visual presentation than just fixture count.  Uplighting, truss, and truss warmers can work wonders here.  Replacing tripods with uplit truss totems, replacing Guitar Center I-Beams with truss arches, and programming all the lighting to be in synch with everything else going on adds to your presentation value without necessarily investing in expensive fixtures or relying on the ability to use fog.  That’s the route I’d consider.  Hope this helps!

I’m currently working on this aspect. I usually bring trees to the shows due to ease of transport and setup however I do have 2 sticks of triangle truss that I have brought out on occasion. I agree that just upgrading my front wash will probably only be noticed by me and not make the best ROI. That said, my front wash is not all the same fixture and I could see that looking more professional but I’m  still not sure that’s the best allocation for my current funds. As far as the programming, I’ve never run my lights on auto, I’ve always had some sort of DMX control. My old NDI MLC-16d just couldn’t handle more fixtures so I was forced into an upgrade and decided to make a big jump and get something I won’t outgrow anytime soon. That decision, made early this year was to get into a vista MV with single universe with a new PC. So I’ve got plenty of control for anything I want to use so long as I don’t go over 1 universe for now. Although the dongles are stackable so should I need more channels I can just purchase an additional license as I grow. As far as the batten lights, I’m looking at fixtures that I would be able to control individual pixels and not just change the whole fixture as a whole. I figure that fixture would then lend itself to some color, blinder action, or plain up lighting depending on usage. The only thing the band has requested is to be able to light up a singer if and when they jump out on the dance floor with the audience, other than that it’s just “ more production” which I take as controlled with the music and not in auto mode!

Thanks for the input, this is great advice for someone that’s not new to lights but stuck on what to do next!
David

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »

FWIW, I am a fan of using the same fixture for all of my wash lights. If you have a few "oddball" lights, consider moving those out of your inventory sooner rather than later.  Having less than four of the same fixture seems like a waste to me, unless it is a specialty item (like a gobo projector) that isn't part of the general lighting plan. I find that having 8 of the same fixtures is more flexible (and nicer looking) than two different sets of four.  YMMV.

And that’s why 1 option was to upgrade my current front wash lights, since I have such a mismatched set right now. However I’m not sure if anyone besides me would notice!

David

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »

That’s actually something I haven’t been doing. Thanks for that tip. I am a sound guy first, but I do enjoy the lights as well. However in the past all my clients just want a general stage wash, which means I’m bringing a pair of trees for a front wash and that’s it. So now that I have a client wanting more, I’ve got 12 pars across the back plus the front wash. My question is more about what to add next since I can’t have haze, or should I upgrade my front wash to quad or even a hex leds as opposed to the individual color leds I run now.

I was going to suggest light bars - now I see they're called "Batten Lights" - thanks Jeff!

When I can't use haze I've found these to be the best at providing a sense of movement. I have some that have the 4 in 1 diodes, and some that have the little light-bright leds. I program my scenes, and for movement I use the light's built in auto setting triggered by my dmx controller. I flip the light over to mirror the other side of the stage, so that they work in unison. When choosing an auto program, be careful not to choose one that is sound activated, as the lights won't work in unison. I don't make too many scenes using this, just a few "specials".

Another way to create movement with fixed pars, is to create some scenes where some of the lights are not on at all. Followed with another scene that has different lights that are off. That's how you did it back when they were gel'd par cans - still works today.

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »

I was going to suggest light bars - now I see they're called "Batten Lights" - thanks Jeff!

When I can't use haze I've found these to be the best at providing a sense of movement. I have some that have the 4 in 1 diodes, and some that have the little light-bright leds. I program my scenes, and for movement I use the light's built in auto setting triggered by my dmx controller. I flip the light over to mirror the other side of the stage, so that they work in unison. When choosing an auto program, be careful not to choose one that is sound activated, as the lights won't work in unison. I don't make too many scenes using this, just a few "specials".

Another way to create movement with fixed pars, is to create some scenes where some of the lights are not on at all. Followed with another scene that has different lights that are off. That's how you did it back when they were gel'd par cans - still works today.

One thing I’ve noticed with the battens, not all have individual pixel control. Some only control sections at a time. I’m sure they will integrate with my software, but since I haven’t used them I’ll have to figure that out. I know Chauvet has one, colordash batten and I’ve seen those on a show. Blizzard just came out with one that’s a little different called the spektACL. looks interesting to say the least.
As far as movement with pars, I’ve been doing that some. The vista software has some FX built in so I’ve been using those for now and need to spend more time messing with it to get more proficient. My biggest problem is that I start with the idea that I’ll do x, and then I see that for a little more money I can do y, and then if I’m going to spend that much I might as well just do z. They I realize I’m planning on spending 3 times my original amount and start all over. So right now the general consensus is the battens with upgrading my front wash soon thereafter to have a common fixture across the whole front and then look into more truss totems for additional lights. Sounds like I have a plan!

Thanks guys,
David

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.