ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matching up TS specs for horn loaded 18" driver  (Read 1060 times)

Sam Saponaro Jr

Re: Matching up TS specs for horn loaded 18" driver
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 01:00:06 am »

This is what the responses looke like with my SIM .... this may not be the response you get (it was just a guess on the box design) but I suspect it may still be useful for comparison
Seriously, thanks for taking the time to do this for me.It really does help me out. :)
 I figure you must be close as B&C suggested the pzb as a replacement for the 851 and you are getting similar results. 8)
The RBX actually looks slightly meatier between 60 and 100(less sharp slope) to me with a slight attenuation around 150-250 area but not much. The PZB is near the same as RCF. Seems either would be pretty near the same as you said.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:15:45 am by Sam Saponaro Jr »

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 07:11:32 am »

Peter: Can you post the max SPL curves and a block of 4 SIM ?

Sam: How many of these basshorns do you want to use?

from Peters simulations, it looks like you will need every single Hz, which you can extract from these boxes down low.
Also adding kick fillers makes no sense IMO, these boxes are already kick fillers.

One of the reasons the band I mix carries their own monitor system now: We were offered in one location a double 15" horn loaded drum "sub", barely bigger than a vented design.
 This thing did nothing under 60Hz and my drummer was heavily disapointed.

So in my experience for the thud sound of the kick I need at least solid 50Hz and then I take horns happily

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 01:51:56 am »

Yea kick fillers was an idea kicking(no pun intended)around,may not end up doing it. When I ran these as part of a three top three bottom system I didnt feel anything was lacking and I loved the kick sound(why I like these cabs) and the smooth way the vocals and guitars cut on the MH102s.
For now I will start off with one stack aside,till I can locate or clone another set of BHs. The end goal is two stacks aside.
Seems of the 4 by those sims the RBX would extract ever so slightly every Hz...I like the RBX 80-100 area best of the 4 sims.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:19:16 am by Sam Saponaro Jr »

Peter Morris

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 06:04:06 am »

Peter: Can you post the max SPL curves and a block of 4 SIM ?

Sam: How many of these basshorns do you want to use?

from Peters simulations, it looks like you will need every single Hz, which you can extract from these boxes down low.
Also adding kick fillers makes no sense IMO, these boxes are already kick fillers.

One of the reasons the band I mix carries their own monitor system now: We were offered in one location a double 15" horn loaded drum "sub", barely bigger than a vented design.
 This thing did nothing under 60Hz and my drummer was heavily disapointed.

So in my experience for the thud sound of the kick I need at least solid 50Hz and then I take horns happily

This is the BH800 SIM in eigth space - more or less the same as 4 boxes in half space.  The final response may be different due to the resulting directivity ... but its 3dB down at 44Hz.

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »

This is the BH800 SIM in eigth space - more or less the same as 4 boxes in half space.  The final response may be different due to the resulting directivity ... but its 3dB down at 44Hz.

Thanks Peter, that confirmed my thoughts

Sam:
This basshorn was designed as a 4x 18" unit and then cut into 4 pieces for transport reason, very much the same like the 15" Martin bin ( the one with the very akward outer shape )

You are making the same mistake like many others before including me:
Basshorns cannot be scaled down, use them in the intended way, block of four, maybe get away with three, but do not use less.

You have been warned

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 02:11:57 am »

http://eaw.com/docs/2_Legacy_Products/Loudspeakers/BH/BH_L%20Series.pdf
 Found a frequency response chart for the BH800L,shows single and 2x array figures on um,for anyone interested. Its down on page 13.
They claim +/-3db from 50-400hz allthough the trace is so wide its hard to be exact.

Also spec info on BH880 and others too on this file. 8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:22:35 am by Sam Saponaro Jr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 02:11:57 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.