ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should a Sound System frequency response look like?  (Read 7480 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: What should a Sound System frequency response look like?
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »

Consider these couple of situations.

When used for playback, often people want the HF to be rolled back a bit, a sloping downward response, and a bass hump.

But why?  Why would you want to alter what the original artist did?  They mixed it so that it sounded right to them?

But if you roll off the highs and boost the bass, you are altering the sound that the artist spent a lot of time working on.

You should want something that is a "white canvas" so that the picture the artist intended is accurately displayed.

Who are you to change what they did/wanted you to hear?

In a live situation, you have control over the tone of each and every microphone.  So if the sound system is flat (a white canvas), you can accurately "paint" the tone/sound that you want.

If the canvas is already colored, then you have to "counteract" that color/response in order to get the sound you are looking for.

I go for a flat response, and love it when the engineer says to me "WOW, I didn't have to fight the system".

To me, the sound system should "disappear" as much as possible, and not present any "sound" of its own.

But I know some people like for a speaker system to have a particular "sound".  I guess it makes it easier for them to pick out different systems.  I prefer it to not have a "sound" and to be as transparent as possible.

Maybe that is just me
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2019, 12:42:09 AM »

Ivan, back in the 70's when we were building massive front-loaded horn systems we always tried (and mostly succeeded) in delivering a system that was accurate even at extremely high SPL's. What went in came out. So many systems, even today, just don't meet that criteria.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 08:31:28 AM »

I haven't had a chance to read the thread.

But this is a trace from an EDM/Dance event my company provided sound & lights for.

The traces are from two times during the night. The mic is midroom on a balcony ~40ft from the mains.

Sounded really good with a +20dB sub haystack :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:34:05 AM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 08:31:28 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.