ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to best upgrade this low end PA  (Read 5862 times)

Dan Moos

Re: How to best upgrade this low end PA
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »

Ok, looks like as of now we are getting a pair of QSC K12.2s, and a single QSC k118. Sound like a good setup?

Also, do I correctly perceive that both those units have crossovers, allowing me to eliminate the Berhinger rack mount crossover we currently use?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »

Great advice guys. The situation has changed in the last 24 hours. Drummer (band leader, and guy with the most funds by far) went rogue in a good way and bought some QSC powered mains, and some QSC powered subs.

Not sure exactly which mains (we've been texting, and not all has been clear), but the subs are KS112s. We are curious if a single KS118 would be better. Its for sure heavier, but inline with our old sub's weight. We play small/ sometimes medium/ sometimes outdoor gigs. I want a natural kick drum sound that you can feel. I believe our kick mic is the AKG d112.

We certainly got our money's worth out of the old rig many times over.

New console is a common thread I'm getting here. That's an eventual plan, but not yet. Thing is huge, but has worked well. We run our own sound (console is on stage), which has obvious disadvantages, but we get the whole band and rig on some pretty tight stages successfully. When we got it, digital consoles at our price point were not what they are now.

2-KS112W's placed tight together should get you around 134db's in output.   A single KS118 is rated at 136db's in output. The 118 does go deeper.  Not really a deal breaker other than with a single KS118 you can expand to another later. You'd have to have 4 KS112's to get around what 2 KS118's would give you.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 05:22:51 PM »

Ok, looks like as of now we are getting a pair of QSC K12.2s, and a single QSC k118. Sound like a good setup?

Also, do I correctly perceive that both those units have crossovers, allowing me to eliminate the Berhinger rack mount crossover we currently use?

It shows a sub setting in the tops and the subs takes the highs out.
https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/loudspeakers/powered-loudspeakers/qsc-k2-seriestm-new/k122/
Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:27:08 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly3EVtOLUMI&feature=emb_logo

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 02:28:33 AM »

In my experience having used K series subs and tops, the QSC K/KW series has the HP filter  in the tops - NOT the subs. Used together, it makes no difference but if you mixed brands, it might. eg. JBL PRX has the HP filter in the subs...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »

The short answer is yes, you can eliminate the rack mount XO.  Did you get the KW181 or the new KS118?  I presume the KS118 and that you simply left off the "S."  Both models have built-in crossovers.  The KW181 has a full range output, which means engaging the crossover in the K12.2s. 

What I cannot verify from QSC's documentation is whether the pass-through output on the KS118 is full range or not.  It simply states that the KS118 has an 80 Hz low pass filter optimized for K.2 series speakers and 100 Hz filter for legacy QSC speakers.  If the output on the KS118 is the high passed signal, you do not want to use the crossover in the K2.2s.  If it's full range (like the KW181), then use the XO in the tops.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.