ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital mixer upgrade recommendations  (Read 2372 times)

jamie ashton

digital mixer upgrade recommendations
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »

Hi all. I currently have the soundcraft expression desk but becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of support for it. Something about the sound of it that I just dont like, the fx aren't great, and the app is almost useless.
I did have my heart set on the allen and heath sq5, but maybe it of my price range now. What would you recommend to look at?. Options I have in mind are: presonus rm16, midas m32r, allen and heath qu16, mackie dl16. Most important is sound quality, good fx, and an app that I can create and control custom view groups and mute groups.  I will have around £1200 2nd hand to spend. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: digital mixer upgrade recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »

Midas M32R or its larger cousin, Mixing Station Pro, a good WAP, and a large Android Tablet.

/thread

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »

Hi all. I currently have the soundcraft expression desk but becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of support for it. Something about the sound of it that I just dont like, the fx aren't great, and the app is almost useless.
I did have my heart set on the allen and heath sq5, but maybe it of my price range now. What would you recommend to look at?. Options I have in mind are: presonus rm16, midas m32r, allen and heath qu16, mackie dl16. Most important is sound quality, good fx, and an app that I can create and control custom view groups and mute groups.  I will have around £1200 2nd hand to spend. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I don't think any of your suggestions are an upgrade; except perhaps the SQ.

Look at Devcore's Mixing Station Pro for the Expression.
Super configurable.  Way too inexpensive for what it can do.

What don't you like about the FX?  That's not a complaint I hear about Lexicon.

I'm with you on the lack of support, though.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:44:17 PM »

What issues have you had that Soundcraft could not support you with?
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »

I think he just means that the Soundcraft Expression line has become a bastard child. It is the most confusing and overcrowded line in Soundcraft history. There are NO updates that are recent and the issues with remote control ( via ipad or otherwise ) have never been addressed. There are many limitations to the series and it feels more like working on an analog console with a few digital options to me. It is not an affordable and feature-full mixer if you ask me. It sounds fine and works well, that is about it.

Behringer, Midas, Allen & Heath all are better options I believe, but that isn't to say that the Expression is a bad or unusable mixer. What are you looking to do? I feel that the best money is spent on the Midas M32 in terms of having an acceptable and capable mixer. The SQ is no slouch either, I just really don't like the pay to play thing it has and it costs more to get the same as the Midas M32. You can get an M32 and DL32 for nearly the same price as just an SQ7. The SQ6 doesn't save you much either.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

scottstephens

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »

Jamie,

I really like my qu16 but it is kind of old. I would not invest (if you can call gear an investment) in technology that is that dated. I agree with Dave that the only actual upgrade on your list is the SQ. As I was asked lately, "why are you spending money?"

Will spending money get you more gigs? better paying gigs? Or do you have doubts about the reliability of the soundcraft?

Scott

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »

FYI soundcraft HAS released a minor update in the last month to adress the above bugs (especially with impact) and also some inconveniant labeling issue. https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/softwares/si-performer-software-v1-8-build-12-v1-8-build-12

rest of the connection "problems" i don't recognise with my performer 1, it does it's duties for me really reliable with 28 inputs. thinking ahead a bit in how you patch channels & layers makes the fixed Ipad `layout much more workable. it has to be said that the performer has VCA's which makes the ipad remote also better.

FX/dynamics can be personal but it's aint bad with the soundcraft.

that said: the SQ is the only step forward from the mixers you mention.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:48:22 PM by Joris Jans2 »

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »

FYI soundcraft HAS released a minor update in the last month to adress the above bugs (especially with impact) and also some inconveniant labeling issue. https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/softwares/si-performer-software-v1-8-build-12-v1-8-build-12

Maybe this is why I have not had any issues with my Expression 1 - the night I got it, I updated the firmware, and it was trouble-free for its first show afterwards. The only bug I discovered was a control lock-up after changing the mixer name, but that was prior to updating the firmware. (I updated the mixer name to the model number followed by the serial number, so I'm not sure if that's a possible cause. I was adjusting multiple settings, so it might have even been unrelated to the mixer name change.)
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Mike M

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 09:29:29 PM »

Midas M32R or its larger cousin, Mixing Station Pro, a good WAP, and a large Android Tablet.

/thread

What he said.
Less is more.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber