Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

ULXD4Q, cascading 3 units

<< < (2/4) > >>

Luke Geis:
The literature says 2 units, but it also says you can do more if you don't mind potential issues.

Per Shure's website:

Note: The RF cascade ports continue to operate if more than two units are cascaded.  However, the issue is RF signal degradation (IMD and RF noise)that will occur each time the signal passes through an RF cascade circuit.  At some point, the RF signal will become too distorted/corrupted to be useful.  Thus, Shure recommends the conservative approach to cascade only two units.  No damage will occur if more than two units are connected in cascade. 

Bob Charest:

--- Quote from: Brian Adams on November 06, 2019, 09:37:37 am ---I need to squeeze 3 receivers into a 4 space rack...

--- End quote ---
Hi Brian,

We used to have 12 channels of ULXD as well. We cascaded the 1st two into one set of the front-mounted 1/2 wave antennas and let the 3rd unit use its own set.

On the smaller stages that we would play on (24'-36' x 12'-16') wee had excellent coverage just using the front-mounted 1/2 wave antennas.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Scott Helmke:
If you really want to squeeze out as much performance as possible, cascade the A and B antenna chains differently.

Something like antenna A starts in receiver 1, then 2, then 3, but antenna B starts in receiver 3, then 2, then 1.

Keith Broughton:
I spoke with a Shure tech a while back, and he said a cascade of 3 is workable.
One suggestion I read was to use the middle frequencies on the 3rd unit, rather than ones at the high and low end.

Jason Glass:

--- Quote from: Scott Helmke on November 07, 2019, 10:38:41 am ---If you really want to squeeze out as much performance as possible, cascade the A and B antenna chains differently.

Something like antenna A starts in receiver 1, then 2, then 3, but antenna B starts in receiver 3, then 2, then 1.

--- End quote ---

An excellent tip!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version