ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: ULXD4Q, cascading 3 units  (Read 3963 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
ULXD4Q, cascading 3 units
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:37:37 AM »

I normally use a UA844 to distribute my antennas, but I have a rental going out this week (local high school theatre), and I need to squeeze 3 receivers into a 4 space rack. This means I'll have just enough room in there for either a Furman or a distro, but not both. I'd like to have the Furman in the rack to manage the power and keep things looking clean, but this would mean I'd have to cascade all 3 ULXD units. I know this is theoretically possible, and people have done it, but I've never cascaded more than the recommended 2 units. What are the real-world negative implications of cascading 3 units, and are the disadvantages great enough that I should avoid doing this?
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Scott Helmke

Re: ULXD4Q, cascading 3 units
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »

Are they all the same frequency band?  Generally the cascade outs are band-limited.

Brian Adams

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »

Are they all the same frequency band?  Generally the cascade outs are band-limited.

Yes, all of my ULXD is G50 band.
Brian Adams
Vermillion, SD

Aram Piligian

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:19:07 PM »

I haven't noticed any significant ill effects in real-world use. If I were in a tough RF environment I might think twice, but for average uses with good antenna placement and SNR it seems fine.

Brian Adams

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »

I haven't noticed any significant ill effects in real-world use. If I were in a tough RF environment I might think twice, but for average uses with good antenna placement and SNR it seems fine.

Thank you, Aram. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'd say this is an average environment, but I'll definitely be cautious in more challenging spaces. Thanks again!
Brian Adams
Vermillion, SD

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »

The literature says 2 units, but it also says you can do more if you don't mind potential issues.

Per Shure's website:

Note: The RF cascade ports continue to operate if more than two units are cascaded.  However, the issue is RF signal degradation (IMD and RF noise)that will occur each time the signal passes through an RF cascade circuit.  At some point, the RF signal will become too distorted/corrupted to be useful.  Thus, Shure recommends the conservative approach to cascade only two units.  No damage will occur if more than two units are connected in cascade. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »

I need to squeeze 3 receivers into a 4 space rack...
Hi Brian,

We used to have 12 channels of ULXD as well. We cascaded the 1st two into one set of the front-mounted 1/2 wave antennas and let the 3rd unit use its own set.

On the smaller stages that we would play on (24'-36' x 12'-16') wee had excellent coverage just using the front-mounted 1/2 wave antennas.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »

If you really want to squeeze out as much performance as possible, cascade the A and B antenna chains differently.

Something like antenna A starts in receiver 1, then 2, then 3, but antenna B starts in receiver 3, then 2, then 1.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »

I spoke with a Shure tech a while back, and he said a cascade of 3 is workable.
One suggestion I read was to use the middle frequencies on the 3rd unit, rather than ones at the high and low end.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »

If you really want to squeeze out as much performance as possible, cascade the A and B antenna chains differently.

Something like antenna A starts in receiver 1, then 2, then 3, but antenna B starts in receiver 3, then 2, then 1.

An excellent tip!

Neil White

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »

An excellent tip!

This is my standard way of cascading units too - also gives you the redundancy that loss of any single unit (PSU fail / turned off etc) only kills half the diversity to the downstream units.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »

i just remembered i used to do this all the time.  i've no idea why/when i forgot this tip.

Ah, brain cells.  how i miss thee...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »

Would this still work if you have 2 on one band and 1 on another? Curious and asking in case my distro dies. Or I could just cascade 2 and put the other on it's own antennas.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »

Would this still work if you have 2 on one band and 1 on another? Curious and asking in case my distro dies. Or I could just cascade 2 and put the other on it's own antennas.
They must be the same band.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 09:56:05 PM »

Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »

When someone mentions how much they love the Stones, I always ask them if they've heard of Brian Jones. Sadly, most are clueless.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.