ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminair Wifi and Hardware Advice  (Read 736 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Re: Luminair Wifi and Hardware Advice
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:35 pm »

Hi Peter.  Just to ask the question, if this is for a permanent installation, why not consider a true hardware-based controller versus a tablet?  Luminair is a decent product for its intended market, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for an installation.  Most mainstream hardware boards, PC software, and everything in between such at the ETC Nomad Puck accept remote control via a tablet without the worries of a tablet going missing, broken, or reset and taking your shows with it.  Just my thoughts...  Good luck!

Valid Question. I was previously looking at an ADJ Operator controller instead.  I've used the Chauvet Obey series and the Blizzard Kontrol before - very basic and stripped down tactile controllers.  But, I find them a pain to program, a but clunky, and not-any-cheaper than Luminair (notwithstanding the cost of the tablet itself).  Then, I have a bit of experience with a Martin M-touch and Onyx software, which I find to be more complex and powerful than I need or know how to wield.  So, hoping Luminair will strike a middle ground between ease of operation and functionality.

Since they'll use a tablet to control lots of other functions in this space (including, I believe, Lutron-controlled house lights), I figured that putting stage light control there as well would be more convenient, rather than having another physical interface.  We have a tech 'booth' in a loft accessed by very steep and narrow stairs, and I'll have a proper audio console up there.  However, I suspect that the majority of the time, we'll be mixing audio by tablet on the main floor as well.

Thanks for the hardware rec's.  I'll probably get a DMX King device and see how that plays...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 09:13:33 pm »

Thanks for the hardware rec's.  I'll probably get a DMX King device and see how that plays...

No worries - and that’s a valid response too.  Everything definitely has its place.  The DMX Operators and Obey boards are not what I had in mind - I agree that they’re difficult to program and often more trouble than they’re worth.  Something along the lines of a Mac Mini running QLab (with the new lighting upgrades) is more what I was thinking, but there are many good solutions out there.  Best of luck!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 02:15:23 am »

Hi Peter.  Just to ask the question, if this is for a permanent installation, why not consider a true hardware-based controller versus a tablet?  Luminair is a decent product for its intended market, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for an installation.  Most mainstream hardware boards, PC software, and everything in between such at the ETC Nomad Puck accept remote control via a tablet without the worries of a tablet going missing, broken, or reset and taking your shows with it.  Just my thoughts...  Good luck!

I first setup luminair at a church a few years ago in a youth space after the end controller they had died.  For RGB fixtures, conventionals, and very simple movers it was a far better product at the under 1K price point than any hardware controller out there.  If they could improve the handling of movers it might become a really great single universe control solution.  At this point I’d take luminair over a cheap but hard to use dedicated solution every day of the week.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 02:15:23 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.