ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX keeps disconnecting  (Read 4717 times)

Josh Berens

Wireless DMX keeps disconnecting
« on: November 05, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »

I have a Donner Silver DMX512 wireless transmitter and 7 wireless receivers. They have worked in the past. However, when I try to use them now they do not work. When I turn them on, the transmitter flashes red and the receivers flash green as they should. As soon as I send a signal from my controller, the receivers stop flashing green and reset to the blue color I have them set to. If I turn the signal from the controller off, the receiver will reconnect and flash green. If I leave the signal on, the receiver light goes off and then blue, then off, then blue. It will repeat this until I turn the signal off. It will then reconnect and flash green. All 7 of my receivers do this. Please help.

Josh Berens

Re: Wireless DMX keeps disconnecting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »

Sorry for this being locked all morning, I should have read more carefully.  I picked up a DMX cable that I'm going to try tonight just rule out a bad controller.  Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »

Have you tried switching the wireless dongles to a different channel? There should be a small hole where you can poke a button with a paperclip to do that.

Barring that I'm not sure what else to try, we've never run into that issue with ours.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 02:31:35 PM »

Sorry for this being locked all morning, I should have read more carefully.  I picked up a DMX cable that I'm going to try tonight just rule out a bad controller.  Any other suggestions are appreciated.

For simple testing (or short runs) an XLR mic cable will work perfectly fine.  Before I went wireless I've run up to 100' on mic cable with no problem controlling simple RGB pars.

Your description implies you are, but are you powering up the transmitter before the receivers?  It can only be a few things if ALL 7 receivers are doing the same thing.  7 rec failures, trans failure, controller failure, maybe heavy interference.

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

What Taylor said is a good try.  You mentioned Blue.  I think Green (or Red) are the most stable and strongest channels.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »

I believe these are 2.4gHz radios.
Perhaps a new device in that band is in use?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Josh Berens

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »

I did try switching channels once, but it had no impact.  I'll try switching to red tonight.  I guess I'm leaning toward the controller or the transmitter.  The controller is a Chauvey Obey 40.

I do have a 2.4 WiFi mesh in the house. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »

Another thing to try is only try one to one  transmit to one receiver.  also have the terminator on the receiving light for test.   do you have terminators on the end of all receivers. 

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 04:53:00 PM »

I'd say the 2 top possibilities are a faulty controller or radio interference. I really don't like the Chauvet DJ stuff.. really poor quality control with the internal soldering from what I have seen. But this is fixable if you have an iron, usually it just needs some spots reflowed or some solder added. A strong wifi signal can walk all over a weak DMX signal too but you should be able to find 1 channel that will work.

Josh Berens

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 07:21:15 PM »

Guys, I’m relieved it was something stupid, but also pissed I didn’t think to try it before. I flipped the polarity switch on the controller and everything works fine. Thanks for all the input!

David Allred

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »

Guys, I’m relieved it was something stupid, but also pissed I didn’t think to try it before. I flipped the polarity switch on the controller and everything works fine. Thanks for all the input!
Intelegence is knowing when you've made a mistake, admit it, and correct it.  :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.