ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha PM1D Dual Engine Help  (Read 1379 times)

Jim Shriver

Yamaha PM1D Dual Engine Help
« on: November 04, 2019, 07:20:33 PM »

As an introduction, I am a studio engineer, not live sound.  Filled in on some live gigs over the years, but my forte is recording. 

We recently acquired defunct audio company assets, and part of their business was rental.  They had a TON of clean Yamaha PM1D equipment......3-4 big systems worth. After inventory, my techs opened all the road cases yesterday and set up a CS1D control surface, DSP1D-EX engine and 128 various analog/digital i/o channels on several AIO/DIO rack units.  All are version 2.x software and this stuff sounds AWESOME.  I mean WOW......the audio fidelity is really good through the LMY2-MLAB analog in and LMY4-DA outs. Compared to our old Neve Capricorn, the big Yamaha console is a cinch to get around on.

Question:  We are experimenting with various configurations and trying to get 2 engines to work with one console to scale more than 96 channels.....not working.  Any pro's around here with knowledge of these old systems who could lend some guidance on getting this to work?

We have a CS1D properly connected to 2 DSP1D-EX units over ethernet + the digital i/o's.  Only engine A can be seen.  Engine B registers as the B unit, but, on the console display, only engine A is active.

Any help would be most appreciated!!

Mike Eiseman

Re: Yamaha PM1D Dual Engine Help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »

Jim - if i remember correctly the PM1D System with the DSP1D-EX engine maxes out at 96 mono inputs and 8 stereo inputs.  adding the second Engine B adds DSP/System redundancy - it doesn't increase the channel count.

it was possible to have more inputs that this (up to 320?) connected to the system - but only could mix 96mono/8st (112 total) at any given time.

Mike

Jim Shriver

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »

I found this link: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/proaudio/1860.html + I've read about dual engine installs using 96 (48x2) bus outputs.  It's not clear in the documentation how this is achieved or the cabling required.

PM1D Input Channel Configurations

PM1D SYSTEM

MONO INPUT CHANNELS    STEREO INPUT CHANNELS    TOTAL INPUT CHANNELS
Basic System                                                                                                              48      4      48 + (4x2)   = 56
Basic System with Expander Card*                                                                               96      8      96 + (8x2)   = 112
Basic System with Expander Card*, plus 2nd Processor Engine                                      144    12    144 + (12x2) = 168
Basic System with Expander Card*, plus 2nd Processor Engine with Expander Card*       192    16    192 + (16x2) = 224

* For each DSP1DEX expander card used, additional analog or digital input cards are required to provide input to the additional channels.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.