ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice and critique wanted for a plug in host as alternative to Waves.  (Read 7087 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: Advice and critique wanted for a plug in host as alternative to Waves.
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »

So help me out. I need a PC with at least one PCI-e slot, that is spec'ed out to run a double handful of plug ins, and hopefully be reasonably priced. I know I can spend 1500+ and get good results, but I'm going to pay for all of this by selling my current Impact servers with Yamaha cards. A PC closer to 500 bucks would be a lot better.

So how much PC do I really need for this?

I am not sure if you mentioned building, if so I would not recommend that, home brewed machines are not the most stable.

For machines I would recommend checking out Dell Outlet. They run pretty good discounts all the time, and roughly once a month they have an additional big sale (get on the email list). Specifically check out the commercial series stuff. About a year ago I bought $2k laptop for about $900ish once I added all the coupons together. It can run over a 100 plugins at 4% processor capacity. Sure not the Dell stuff I grew up with! Get us much computer as you can afford.

Keep in mind I usually use an Extreme C Server when live, just for the sake of safety, but if not live I don't usually bother getting the server out.

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

John P. Farrell

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »

My idea is to use Live Professor which seems like a solid, well thought out host. I want to build a computer just for LP and route audio to it via Dante. This would make my world 100% Dante, so management and troubleshooting gets easier and hopefully reliability goes up as well.

Where I'm baffled is how much PC do I need to run 16 channels of plug ins? Right now I'm using mostly dynamics plugs, some EQ, several multibands, and waves tune real time. No reverbs, and there will probably never be any reverbs used via plug ins. The desk verbs are sufficient for me.

My concern wouldn't be that it would work (I haven't played with LP in a while) but more that the latency would be too great given the type of plug ins you're using.  Stuff like verb or delay on Dante would be fine, but I'd be wary to insert dynamics that way even at FOH.  The beauty of multirack SG for me has been the round trip speed.  FWIW I run my SG and Dante on the same network, but there is no other traffic and the IT dept is myself and Sound Image lol. 

Following along as I'm always interested in new solutions and ideas for this as there are several non-waves plug-ins I like....
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »

My concern wouldn't be that it would work (I haven't played with LP in a while) but more that the latency would be too great given the type of plug ins you're using.  Stuff like verb or delay on Dante would be fine, but I'd be wary to insert dynamics that way even at FOH.  The beauty of multirack SG for me has been the round trip speed.  FWIW I run my SG and Dante on the same network, but there is no other traffic and the IT dept is myself and Sound Image lol. 

Following along as I'm always interested in new solutions and ideas for this as there are several non-waves plug-ins I like....

I'll be using a Dante PCI-e card which touts sub 2ms latency.

Also this will be used on a broadcast desk. I could have ten full seconds of latency and it wouldn't matter. Seriously. No one is using this for monitoring.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:28 AM »

I think you needed a multi rack license to get the deal (not sound grid studio). I was given a 32 digit code to apply at checkout, that I assume is tied to my account.

I have a MultiRack license; did they e-mail you the code? I didn't get one...

-Russ

Justin Segbers

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »

I'll be using a Dante PCI-e card which touts sub 2ms latency.

Also this will be used on a broadcast desk. I could have ten full seconds of latency and it wouldn't matter. Seriously. No one is using this for monitoring.

My concern was if you were trying to use DVS which would kill on latency.  However yes if your using the PCI-e you should be fine.

Live professor has a forum with some guys that have used this for a good while. 

As long as your show doesn't stop without it, it will be fine.

Gary Weller

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »

I have a MultiRack license; did they e-mail you the code? I didn't get one...

-Russ

If you didn't get the code (a lot of people didn't) contact Waves and they will provide it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.