ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp watts vs speaker watts  (Read 3727 times)

Akram Saif

Amp watts vs speaker watts
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:05:04 AM »

I have (Onkyo TX-8270 , 100 watts) amplifier with 2 outputs channels and want to do 6 zones stereo speakers in my house through 6 zone switch that I already have. My concern does the number of speakers or watts matters here? Should the total speakers wattages be less than amplifier. Note, it’s ohm system amp.

Geert Friedhof

Re: Amp watts vs speaker watts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 01:35:46 AM »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »

I have (Onkyo TX-8270 , 100 watts) amplifier with 2 outputs channels and want to do 6 zones stereo speakers in my house through 6 zone switch that I already have.
Is your zone switch only one pair of speakers connected at a time? If yes that sounds straight forward. Just connect 8 ohm speakers to the feeds for your different zones.
My concern does the number of speakers or watts matters here?
speaker watts and amplifier watts are somewhat different animals, to complex for a easy short answer but in general you want rough agreement.

the number of speakers matter if they are all connected to the amp at the same time... the amp is rated for 100W at 8 ohm load. Two pairs of speakers at the same time (in parallel is 4 ohms), 6 pairs of speakers all connected at same time is < 2 ohm and likely to load down the amplifier to possible failure.
Should the total speakers wattages be less than amplifier.
no in fact the other way around, speaker wattages should exceed possible amp wattage output.
Note, it’s ohm system amp.
Sorry that term does not mean anything. It looks like a consumer amp that will likely drive as low a 4 ohms but not all 6 sets of speakers at the same time.

To do that you would need a fixed install "constant voltage" (don't ask) amp designed to drive higher voltage into multiple higher impedance speaker loads.

Good luck, you have much reading ahead of you.This is professional sound forum. The closest to your request might be the installed sound sub forum.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Akram Saif

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »

Is your zone switch only one pair of speakers connected at a time? If yes that sounds straight forward. Just connect 8 ohm speakers to the feeds for your different zones. speaker watts and amplifier watts are somewhat different animals, to complex for a easy short answer but in general you want rough agreement.

the number of speakers matter if they are all connected to the amp at the same time... the amp is rated for 100W at 8 ohm load. Two pairs of speakers at the same time (in parallel is 4 ohms), 6 pairs of speakers all connected at same time is < 2 ohm and likely to load down the amplifier to possible failure.no in fact the other way around, speaker wattages should exceed possible amp wattage output. Sorry that term does not mean anything. It looks like a consumer amp that will likely drive as low a 4 ohms but not all 6 sets of speakers at the same time.

To do that you would need a fixed install "constant voltage" (don't ask) amp designed to drive higher voltage into multiple higher impedance speaker loads.

Good luck, you have much reading ahead of you.This is professional sound forum. The closest to your request might be the installed sound sub forum.

JR

[Thank you Jhon for the reply,
The zone switch has 2 pair of speakers L/R as output for each zone, so I guess this is ok to connect speakers to it’s gonna be 2 only for 5 zones and as I understand from your reply the 100 ohm speaker will work fine.
The issue now is with the zone #6 which is for a big hall that needs maybe 8 speakers, I think I need to connect them  parallel/series methods to end up with 8 ohm going to the switch, right?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

Is your zone switch only one pair of speakers connected at a time? If yes that sounds straight forward. Just connect 8 ohm speakers to the feeds for your different zones. speaker watts and amplifier watts are somewhat different animals, to complex for a easy short answer but in general you want rough agreement.

the number of speakers matter if they are all connected to the amp at the same time... the amp is rated for 100W at 8 ohm load. Two pairs of speakers at the same time (in parallel is 4 ohms), 6 pairs of speakers all connected at same time is < 2 ohm and likely to load down the amplifier to possible failure.no in fact the other way around, speaker wattages should exceed possible amp wattage output. Sorry that term does not mean anything. It looks like a consumer amp that will likely drive as low a 4 ohms but not all 6 sets of speakers at the same time.

JR

Thank you Jhon for the reply,
The zone switch has 2 pair of speakers L/R as output for each zone, so I guess this is ok to connect speakers to it’s gonna be 2 only for 5 zones and as I understand from your reply the 100 ohm speaker will work fine.
The issue now is with the zone #6 which is for a big hall that needs maybe 8 speakers, I think I need to connect them  parallel/series methods to end up with 8 ohm going to the switch, right?
Ohms law will help you calculate impedance of speakers in parallel.

8x100 ohm speakers in parallel will present a 12.5 ohm load to the amplifier which should keep it happy (and magic smoke inside).

100 ohm speakers by themselves will not get very loud on a 100W @8ohm amp, but that may be OK.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »

If your speaker switcher is impedance matching, listed as such and set up correctly, you should be fine.  This is common in the residential audio world, but not all switchers are created equal.  If it's not, your amp will go into protect mode until the fault is corrected, if you're lucky.  If you're not lucky, your amp will blow, taking out several components in the process.  Post the exact model of your switcher for more/better advise.
This space for rent

Akram Saif

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »

Hi Lee
The speaker switch I already got is OSD-SSVC6D. It has 6 zones. I just got a good deal from somebody for 8 ceiling speakers (Micca m-8c)  but don’t know if they would work well with the onkyo 8270.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »

Product info...
IMPEDANCE PROTECTION: Impedance-matching frequency protection circuitry allows one amplifier to safely power multiple pairs of speakers without your amp or receiver overheating or damaging to the equipment.
POWER: This speaker selector allows you to distribute an amplified signal for up to six zones throughout the house, letting you choose which source is playing in each designated zone.
It seems the switch has some kind of pasive resistance in line with each load to prevent amp overload due to low impedance.
From the view of the front panel, each of the 6 zones can be on at once and each has a level control.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »

In the manual it states that each zone has an internal jumper that can be set to 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x corresponding to the number of speaker pairs attached to each zone. Default setting is 4x. If each zone only has 1 pair of speakers you would want to open up the case and adjust the jumper to 1x.

Akram Saif

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »

In the manual it states that each zone has an internal jumper that can be set to 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x corresponding to the number of speaker pairs attached to each zone. Default setting is 4x. If each zone only has 1 pair of speakers you would want to open up the case and adjust the jumper to 1x.

Thank you for the valuable info, you really made my day, :) :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.