ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DiGiCo SD series Alt Input  (Read 4415 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
DiGiCo SD series Alt Input
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

Typically the gain of the preamp for the "alt" input is separately selected, and is not necessarily the same as the "main" input preamp.
I know that you could gang the gains between the main and alt preamps to have them track, but is there a way to have the alt input gain "automatically" copy from a selected channel (perhaps using a macro)?

My thought is what if you had a spare input connected to a high input preamp, and then if any other channel's input cabling go down, plug this spare cable into the source, and hit the alt input on the affected channel, but the spare input's gain sets itself to the preamp it's replacing.

That way, you could have the alt input for every channel set to this spare input, and in the case of a cabling issue, just replace the bad cable with the spare, no chasing snake channels or subsnakes or whatever. Allows for a very fast replacement of a cable without having to have a bunch of spares or repatching the male ends of the cables.

e.g. channel 1-12 have alt input set to input 48. Any of those channels have a bad cable, just pull the cable out of the mic and plug in 48. Hit alt input on the bad channel, and channel 48 is now patched to that channel. BUT I need channel 48's gain to match the channel where the alt input was pressed. Can it be done with a single macro?
e.g. select channel, hit macro which copies that channel's gain to channel 48, then switches the alt input on that selected channel...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: DiGiCo SD series Alt Input
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:16:46 PM »

Typically the gain of the preamp for the "alt" input is separately selected, and is not necessarily the same as the "main" input preamp.
I know that you could gang the gains between the main and alt preamps to have them track, but is there a way to have the alt input gain "automatically" copy from a selected channel (perhaps using a macro)?

My thought is what if you had a spare input connected to a high input preamp, and then if any other channel's input cabling go down, plug this spare cable into the source, and hit the alt input on the affected channel, but the spare input's gain sets itself to the preamp it's replacing.

That way, you could have the alt input for every channel set to this spare input, and in the case of a cabling issue, just replace the bad cable with the spare, no chasing snake channels or subsnakes or whatever. Allows for a very fast replacement of a cable without having to have a bunch of spares or repatching the male ends of the cables.

e.g. channel 1-12 have alt input set to input 48. Any of those channels have a bad cable, just pull the cable out of the mic and plug in 48. Hit alt input on the bad channel, and channel 48 is now patched to that channel. BUT I need channel 48's gain to match the channel where the alt input was pressed. Can it be done with a single macro?
e.g. select channel, hit macro which copies that channel's gain to channel 48, then switches the alt input on that selected channel...

I believe there is a selected channel option in macros but I’m not near a desk (or offline software) right now to check.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »

I believe there is a selected channel option in macros but I’m not near a desk (or offline software) right now to check.
Selected channel is * instead of a channel number, but that could only be used to turn 48V on/off and secelcting main/ alt input. There seems there is no way to copy gain from main input and pasting it to the alt.

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »

Selected channel is * instead of a channel number, but that could only be used to turn 48V on/off and secelcting main/ alt input. There seems there is no way to copy gain from main input and pasting it to the alt.

The asterisk is one of those poorly documented (or not at all) secrets that I was told about and then forgot and had to relearn. I believe you just turn the touch 'n turn knob backwards from the starting point (1?) to get to the asterisk.

Your idea seems like an elegant solution to cable issues, and one that I certainly had not thought of before. That said, in real life work I would assume that while the cable is being replaced the A1 could mute the channel (if a cable is being unplugged this should happen anyway!), check the amount of gain on current channel, switch to the alt input, and turn up the gain to the previous level, all while the cable is being replaced - really it should only take a few seconds for the FOH engineer to do this on the console and doesn't seem like too much to ask, especially since he is already in troubleshooting mode.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:12:53 PM »

I would imagine a macro set up like this:

1. Select a channel
2. Press the macro button. It mutes the selected channel, copies the gain from the selected channel's main input to the alt input and then switches to the alt input.
3. When the cable is swapped, unmute the channel.

For even slicker operation:

1. Select a channel
2. Press the macro button, it mutes the selected channel, copies the gain from the select channel's main input to the alt input, but -10db down. (ON function of the macro key)
3. When the cable is swapped, press the macro button (OFF function of the macro key), and the channel unmutes, and gently fades up 10db until it matches the main input gain.

How cool would that be?
-Andy

Al Rettich

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »

Why not just make a macro that would recall your head amp or digital trim to a certain place?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »

Why not just make a macro that would recall your head amp or digital trim to a certain place?
How would that work? The gain is (of course) different for every channel. I'm not sure you are understanding what I'm looking to do?
-Andy

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »

You could probably accomplish all of this using OSC and then tie it in to a streamdeck for firing off.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 11:34:02 AM »

You could probably accomplish all of this using OSC and then tie it in to a streamdeck for firing off.
Oh - DiGiCo recognizes OSC?
-Andy

Gunther Mai

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

Oh - DiGiCo recognizes OSC?

Yes it does and you can fire as many OSC commands and combinations of those as you like by SD remote.  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.