ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic theater lighting through a DMX Controller...is that possible?  (Read 2266 times)

Catie HauffU

Are you able to do fade to a blackout or fade the lights up and down with a DMX controller?

I am going to be lighting a dance performance and we are converting a space into a stage so I am starting from scratch with the lighting. I thought the best way to go would be DMX controller with LED lights but I am running into issues. I have the DMX ADJ controller and I am unable to fade to a black out or fade the lights up and down. Without these basics it won’t work. Am I missing something or do I need a new controller? Any recommendations? Thank you so much!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Popsting Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »

Any recommendations? Thank you so much!

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Basic theater lighting through a DMX Controller...is that possible?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »

Hi Catie, seeing as Mac unlocked the thread, I’ll assume your username passes and respond. 

The short answer to your question is yes - you can definitely fade lights in and out with a DMX controller.  This will be by utilizing the “Dimmer” or “Intensity” channel on your fixtures, if equipped.  Do you have the right DMX controller?  Maybe.  Assuming that you bought a DMX Operator, it’s far from my first choice, but it can work.  You’ll need to read the manual for both your lights and your controller to make things work though.  Sharing exactly what you bought for both fixtures and controllers will help.

To be bluntly honest though, based on how you asked your question and that you’re trying to start from scratch, you will likely save a tremendous amount of time and probably money by hiring a professional.  This can either be to design and run your show, program your show, or just help set things up for you.  What’s “worth it” to you will depend on your expectations and timeframe, having someone in person to teach you can work wonders.  Hope this helps!

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »

Are you able to do fade to a blackout or fade the lights up and down with a DMX controller?

I am going to be lighting a dance performance and we are converting a space into a stage so I am starting from scratch with the lighting. I thought the best way to go would be DMX controller with LED lights but I am running into issues. I have the DMX ADJ controller and I am unable to fade to a black out or fade the lights up and down. Without these basics it won’t work. Am I missing something or do I need a new controller? Any recommendations? Thank you so much!

Which controller do you have?
I did some extensive research on controllers a few years ago. Can you give us a model number?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »

There is a similar thread over at Controlbooth.com about using a Chauvet Obey 40.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »

When you say "LED lights", are you refering to purpose-built stage/entertainment lights, or just a regular fixture that has an LED "bulb" in it?  If it is the former, then yes; it should work when the lights are correctly addressed for DMX control. If it is the latter, it will not work as presently configured.

If you will identify the specific LED lights you are using we can probably be more helpful.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

Most "DJ" type controllers don't do dimming in a theatrical sense.  Use the right tool for the job and dispense with the DJ controller.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.