ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC TouchMix 30 Pro  (Read 3515 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
QSC TouchMix 30 Pro
« on: October 30, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »

I've had this desk a while, and I've had chance to use it for a few gigs and some recording work. I upgraded to the TM30Pro from a TM16. For me, the QSC TouchMix desks tick a lot of boxes, and the boxes they don't tick aren't a particularly high priority for me. In short, they're a compromise, but one I can live with.

Things I like:
- The workflow suits me - it still feels fairly analogue in a lot of ways.
- The USB-B connector on the back lets you feed all desk inputs straight to a laptop, independent of what the mixer is doing. I use that for backup recording, but I suspect I could do more if I wanted to.
- More flexible routing, in the form of input patches, side-chain processing, and subgroups
- The screen is much improved over the TM16. You've now got multi-touch and smooth movements. The TM16 screen was only suitable for poking at to select a parameter, which you'd then have to adjust with the wheel.
- Lots of analogue I/O with 14 mono monitor mixes on something the size of a 12-16 channel analogue desk.
- 3x pages of 8x custom fader banks. Actually came in handy for a small gig recently, where I had everything (instruments, vocals, FX, monitor send) on one page, which felt like luxury.

Things I don't like:
- Analogue gain controls. It's not a big deal for me, though - I'm usually at side-of-stage (with the desk) for line checks etc, so I set the analogue gains then. It's rare that I need to make a return trip to change those controls.
- I wish they'd followed the TM16's example of having 16x XLR inputs. The TM30Pro has 24x XLR inputs, and then 3x stereo inputs. I'm thinking of picking up another 6x channels of preamps so I can run 30x mics.
- No Dante or other digital I/O

I'm very pleased with the TM30Pro so far, and find it more intuitive than the A&H SQ5 that I spent a few days mixing on recently.

There are a couple of features I haven't tested yet, like external faders, but when I do I'll report back.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: QSC TouchMix 30 Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:17:58 AM »

Just a quick note to say that the QSC-recommended faders (iCon Platform M+) are on their way. Stay tuned...

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »

The faders arrived. Plugged the fader unit into the desk, switched the desk on, and then panicked - faders 7 & 8 weren't responding, and most of the other faders would snap back to a different position as if they only infrequently transmitted data to the desk.

Updated the firmware on the faders (who knew?) and all seems well - everything works as expected, including mute, record and cue buttons.

Lovely.

I also had a play around with some of the USB functionality of the desk. Turns out you can route audio straight from the mic preamp, through the laptop (running a DAW), put it through any plugins you like, and send that back to the desk which can then apply the usual in-box processing.

The last thing for me to try will be plugging the faders into an iPad, and connecting to the desk via WiFi. With a 12v battery pack to power the faders, I'll have a FOH that doesn't require cables running to/from the stage - really useful for some of the gigs I do.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

John P. Farrell

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 09:31:23 AM »

Just curious why you decided to go this route?  By the time you spend 2,100 for the desk and 400 for the fader bank (plus peripherals like battery power etc) you've gotten to a budget where you could have a true 32 channel desk with recallable headamps and real faders.  It seems to me a backward move to take an iPad-esque desk and add faders as opposed to get a more feature rich product from the start. 

Also, I agree, I hate "console math" where the amount of inputs advertised is far different from the reality of mic cables you can plug in!

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »

Hi John,

There was a bit of discussion here: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,171788.0.html

The short version is that I've used a TM16 for years, and I like the workflow. The TM30Pro adds a load of features, more I/O, and options to add faders (which can be used over WiFi - not many manufacturers support this) for gigs that'll be more involved from a mixing point-of-view. For me, then, it was a no-brainer to continue with the QSC TM line.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.