ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator Bonding Question  (Read 6998 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Generator Bonding Question
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »

So could I then add a jumper from my N to G in the 30 amp twist for the genny side and have my CS 50 on the other end that goes to my distro ? I understand that limits my 50 amp distro to 30 amp but does that get me a bonded neutral to ground at the genny ?             
   ( Drive a grounding rod in and I'm good to go. )

I would not do that. That produces an odd and not to code cable assembly.

Just make up the NEMA 5-15p I referred to above. Plug it in if you need the bonding.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

charles strickland

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »

Thanks Rob,  I made one and it looks almost as good as mikes. put it in my  box so i will have it when I need it. Thanks again. Charles

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »

Yep!

Mike Sokol had some comments here in this forum, IIRC, and he also posts about it in the recreational vehicle forums he participates in.

Yes, a simple "Edison" plug with the Neutral and Ground bonded together will effectively "bond" the floating neutral on most of these inverter generators. I developed this for  the RV industry first, then discovered that the Honda generators we were renting for small gigs had floating neutrals. The NEC allows this for powering a single appliance or tool without earth-grounding the generator, which is why contractors needing to run an electric saw can just throw and go. But once you start distributing power to multiple points (like a stage) then a neutral-ground bond is reuqired, along with an earthing grounding rod. You also need to bond any metal stage and stairs to this same neutral/ground bonding point. Now on larger generators there is typically an access panel and a place to install a shunt between the neutral and ground, but non of the small inverter generators have this option. That's why I developed the simple G/N bonding plug with you can purchase from Southwire on Amazon if you like, or just get a basic plug from a big box store and install a Ground-to-Neutral as indicated. https://tinyurl.com/s6e2o7t   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.