ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW RS Series  (Read 11665 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: EAW RS Series
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »

I didn't ask the EAW tech specifically but I have seen -6 dB specifications measured down from the peak amplitude (eg at 70 Hz), and that could also be presented as a +/-3dB specification measured from the mean up to the peak and down to the amplitude at the stated frequency. Is there a standard convention that specifies how the -6dB figure is always calculated?

The best way is to look at the actual response graph yourself and determine what YOU would call the -3 or -6dB.

There is no absolute value for the "-3dB" spec.

I have seen specs in which the "Stated" -3dB point is one freq, but if you look at the published response graphs, it can ACTUALLY be 27dB down from the rated sensitivity.  Yes, that is an extreme, but there are others that are commonly 9dB down from the rated sensitivity.  I "assume" the marketing dept uses the +/-3dB, to actually mean a 6dB range, which they subtract from the sensitivity to have a "flat" response.  THEN then take away 3dB more for the "-3dB".

Hence the reason to look at the graphs yourself.

It is (or should be) what it says, 3dB down from SOMETHING.  But unless that "something" is known, it could be anything.

It SHOULD be tied to the sensitivity (not a boosted low end response) to have any sort of real meaning.

If the manufacturer want as lower -3dB number, then the sensitivity MUST be lower as well.  If they want a higher sensitivity, then they must be willing to accept a higher -3dB number.

If the -3dB number is based on boosted low end response, then it is not -3dB.  You must take away the boost to get a real number.

Also remember that if the low end has a boost (10dB is not all that unusual), then you MUST subtract that level (at the boosted freq) from the maximum SPL to get a real number.  Let's say that the published response has a 10dB boost on the bottom, and a max SPL number of 135dB.  I am just making up numbers here.  Then at the boosted response, the maximum SPL is only 125dB.  Higher freq can get louder, but not the lower ones.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »

One of my RS 123's came in today, the other is still off in FedEx land.
Very nice looking box, Powercon connector instead of IEC. Basic DSP, either Main or Monitor setting.
I put it up against the JBL PRX712 I've been using for the past 4-years, and the one thing that jumped out at me was the high-end is much smoother on the EAW. Could be the 3" voice coil vs. a 1.5" in the JBL.
I bought a pair of JBL SRX812P to replace my 712's, but cannot lift them onto the sub poles comfortably. I discovered I have some tendonitis in my shoulders and the 10 lb difference was killing me.
The EAW's are about the same weight as the PRX712's, 45 lbs.
Have not had a chance to crank them up but will get to hear them in a band setting this weekend.
Street price looks to be around $1,099

Rob where are the RS series made?

ScottH

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »

Rob where are the RS series made?

ScottH
From the back of the speaker:
Designed in Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Made in China

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »

One of my RS 123's came in today, the other is still off in FedEx land.
Very nice looking box, Powercon connector instead of IEC. Basic DSP, either Main or Monitor setting.
I put it up against the JBL PRX712 I've been using for the past 4-years, and the one thing that jumped out at me was the high-end is much smoother on the EAW. Could be the 3" voice coil vs. a 1.5" in the JBL.
I bought a pair of JBL SRX812P to replace my 712's, but cannot lift them onto the sub poles comfortably. I discovered I have some tendonitis in my shoulders and the 10 lb difference was killing me.
The EAW's are about the same weight as the PRX712's, 45 lbs.
Have not had a chance to crank them up but will get to hear them in a band setting this weekend.
Street price looks to be around $1,099

It would be interesting to see how they compare to the RSX126/RSX129 series (I'm an owner of both). I really like the sound of those boxes, but when pushed to raise vocals above a loud band you definitely sense that you're pushing vocals from a 1.7" driver - not 'bad', per se but certainly not the more effortless sound of a larger diameter driver. If you get a chance to try these in the wild soon it will be interesting to get your report.

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »

It would be interesting to see how they compare to the RSX126/RSX129 series (I'm an owner of both). I really like the sound of those boxes, but when pushed to raise vocals above a loud band you definitely sense that you're pushing vocals from a 1.7" driver - not 'bad', per se but certainly not the more effortless sound of a larger diameter driver. If you get a chance to try these in the wild soon it will be interesting to get your report.
Gigging tomorrow, will see what these puppies can do.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »

How do you get to that in the Data-Bass measurements?
Just looking at the overview page shown below...and more detailed measurements,.......... -3dB @ 40Hz doesnt seem fair...

Pls don't get me wrong, it appears to be a great box, and Data-Bass is a most welcome measurement haven..
But i need help seeing the the 39Hz at -3 dB you're sayin..
I am going to make an "assumption" that the data on the page you showed was the CEDA2010 distortion tests.  Meaning it is how loud each of the freq can get before exceeding the distortion limit.

The "small signal" -3dB points are always that, small signal.  Not what the response is at maximum level.

These are usually taken at 2.83V input for the spec sheet.

This is why it is important to listen to loudspeakers at "show level" to see what they sound like.  The simple numbers on a spec sheet don't always match up at "war volume".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »

I am going to make an "assumption" that the data on the page you showed was the CEDA2010 distortion tests.  Meaning it is how loud each of the freq can get before exceeding the distortion limit.

The "small signal" -3dB points are always that, small signal.  Not what the response is at maximum level.

These are usually taken at 2.83V input for the spec sheet.

This is why it is important to listen to loudspeakers at "show level" to see what they sound like.  The simple numbers on a spec sheet don't always match up at "war volume".

Yeah, I think your assumption is correct....that the page was CEA-2010.  There are two tabs on that page, one for CEA, and another labeled Max Output.  Numbers change and go up a little for Max Output, so I take it that Max isn't distortion limited as much as CEA.

Anyway, I probably should have posted a Data-Bass small signal chart instead....been easier to scroll/read if nothing else...
In my judgement, which as you say we each have to make for ourselves, the 212Pro is down 5-8dB at 40Hz depending, in the small signal charts.

JTR itself specifies bandwidth down to 39Hz without reference to a -(X)dB number.
Plenty fair enough, given the excellent Data-Bass measurements, and JTR's willingness/helpfulness to let us see full testing results. 
I guess it just strikes me as an exaggeration and maybe unintentional sympathetic marketing, to hear the box claimed to be -3dB at 39Hz.
Steve, I don't mean to be nitpicking and not trying to be confrontational....just saying....

You know Ivan, all this judging sensitivity and -3dB crap would go away if folks just moved to measured sensitivity with processing in place,..... a conversation we've had before, eh brother?  ;)

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »

Ran the RS 123's last night over my RCF SUB-905AS MKII's with the 6-piece wedding band I work for.
Not a huge room so I wasn't really able to push the system. I like to keep my peaks around 105dB SPL so I'm not killing anybody.
Can't really speak to the difference between these and the Radius series, but I was impressed how these sounded as compared the JBL's I have been running. Smoother high-end for sure.
I do wish they had dual pole cups so I could angle them down a bit towards the dance floor, but I have some tilters I can use if needed.
They are keepers for me and I can lift them onto the poles without killing my already wounded shoulders.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »

Good to hear, we were originally going to get a couple pairs of the RSX129 after demoing them, but with the RS coming in several hundred cheaper we might go with them instead.

Would you be able to snap a picture of the back panel and give a quick rundown of the DSP options? Our rep hasn't gotten back to us yet with more info than what's on their site.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »

Good to hear, we were originally going to get a couple pairs of the RSX129 after demoing them, but with the RS coming in several hundred cheaper we might go with them instead.

Would you be able to snap a picture of the back panel and give a quick rundown of the DSP options? Our rep hasn't gotten back to us yet with more info than what's on their site.
Not much to see here...
Main/Monitor button.
I ran these indoors for 4-hours, they got warm but not hot. No fan, just large heat sink on the back

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.