ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW RS Series  (Read 5530 times)

Ernie Montalvo

EAW RS Series
« on: October 24, 2019, 03:01:24 pm »

Doesn't look like these are out yet. Wondering if anyone has heard some demos anywhere? Looks like good competition in the 1,000-2,000usd range with 3" voice coils on the $1,200 box and FIR correction.

https://www.eaw.com/products-series/rs-series/

Rob Bernstein

Re: EAW RS Series
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 12:50:59 pm »

Doesn't look like these are out yet. Wondering if anyone has heard some demos anywhere? Looks like good competition in the 1,000-2,000usd range with 3" voice coils on the $1,200 box and FIR correction.

https://www.eaw.com/products-series/rs-series/

I have my EAW rep getting me a pair of RS 123's to demo. Will report back after I hear them.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 02:37:50 pm »

The RS115 looks like it might be a very nice powered 15" 63 lb mini-sub for small club portable systems. I just called EAW to ask what "operating range 40Hz-125Hz" means in the spec sheet, they told me -6dB at 40Hz and they will update the spec sheet soon. On my short list with JTR Captivator212.

Steve Litscher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 03:03:26 pm »

The RS115 looks like it might be a very nice powered 15" 63 lb mini-sub for small club portable systems. I just called EAW to ask what "operating range 40Hz-125Hz" means in the spec sheet, they told me -6dB at 40Hz and they will update the spec sheet soon. On my short list with JTR Captivator212.

JTR C212 will do 39Hz at -3db, as verified by Data-Bass.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 07:04:06 pm »

Not sure the -3dB at 39Hz for the JTR and the -6dB I was told for the EAW are really that different. The -3dB for the JTR212 in the Data-Bass evaluation seems to be  measuring amplitude drop from an imagined mean amplitude over the relevant bandwidth (eg, 39-110 Hz) to the measured amplitude at 39Hz. I didn't ask the EAW tech specifically but I have seen -6 dB specifications measured down from the peak amplitude (eg at 70 Hz), and that could also be presented as a +/-3dB specification measured from the mean up to the peak and down to the amplitude at the stated frequency. Is there a standard convention that specifies how the -6dB figure is always calculated?
Of course, a better way to do it would be to compare frequency response curves for each speaker, which are more informative than single point numbers like -6dB at 40Hz or +/-3dB. Most of the final EAW spec sheets include FR curves, hopefully the final RS115 spec sheet will too when the preliminary specs are finalized. Skilled listening comparisons would be even better but it will probably be hard to find a place to demo both subs side by side or even in different rooms, and round trip shipping of subs makes trial purchases much less attractive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:09:23 pm by George Friedman-Jimenez »

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 10:34:08 am »

I have my EAW rep getting me a pair of RS 123's to demo. Will report back after I hear them.
Interested to see how they perform. I wonder where their pricing will end up? Perhaps these are meant to break into the SRX/DXR/K-series type market of set and forget SOS rigs with minimal DSP (at least compared to their RSX line).
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 04:03:26 pm »

Um yeah what's the difference between this RS and the Redline?

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 05:51:45 pm »

JTR C212 will do 39Hz at -3db, as verified by Data-Bass.

How do you get to that in the Data-Bass measurements?
Just looking at the overview page shown below...and more detailed measurements,.......... -3dB @ 40Hz doesnt seem fair...

Pls don't get me wrong, it appears to be a great box, and Data-Bass is a most welcome measurement haven..
But i need help seeing the the 39Hz at -3 dB you're sayin..

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 10:32:07 pm »

One of my RS 123's came in today, the other is still off in FedEx land.
Very nice looking box, Powercon connector instead of IEC. Basic DSP, either Main or Monitor setting.
I put it up against the JBL PRX712 I've been using for the past 4-years, and the one thing that jumped out at me was the high-end is much smoother on the EAW. Could be the 3" voice coil vs. a 1.5" in the JBL.
I bought a pair of JBL SRX812P to replace my 712's, but cannot lift them onto the sub poles comfortably. I discovered I have some tendonitis in my shoulders and the 10 lb difference was killing me.
The EAW's are about the same weight as the PRX712's, 45 lbs.
Have not had a chance to crank them up but will get to hear them in a band setting this weekend.
Street price looks to be around $1,099

Steve Litscher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 02:17:47 pm »

How do you get to that in the Data-Bass measurements?
Just looking at the overview page shown below...and more detailed measurements,.......... -3dB @ 40Hz doesnt seem fair...

Pls don't get me wrong, it appears to be a great box, and Data-Bass is a most welcome measurement haven..
But i need help seeing the the 39Hz at -3 dB you're sayin..

If you go into the details for the C212Pro, there's a ton of extra info. Jeff rates the box at 39Hz at -3dB and it's validated through Data-Bass. Typically speaking, Jeff under-rates his stuff. No marketing team to help "massage" things. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 02:17:47 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.