ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade with new tops, what do you prefer?  (Read 8986 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Looking to upgrade with new tops, what do you prefer?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »

. . .
I was hoping to find a replacement for the outdoor events where I dont want to deploy the KF boxes (simply because I would also need additional power and amplification)
. . .

Why not get yourself a Powersoft T604 to power your KF300 rig. It will drive plenty of sub (has power sharing so you can send extra power to the subs from the top channels) and can load the greybox settings for the EAW stuff, takes up 2U and sips current. You can use it on the KF650's, as well.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a $1200 box that sounds as good as those KF's you already own.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 05:14:46 AM »

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172367.0.html

Loud, active, affordable and arrayable.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »

Sam,  we have explained to you about 1/2 million times why running two boxes per side is a lousy idea and now you think the problem is you need better boxes instead of the right boxes?

When you say greater coverage do you mean depth or width?

Scott, I know you have and I appreciate the previous info. I'm looking for something that will give me more depth/volume.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 11:52:59 AM »

Scott, I know you have and I appreciate the previous info. I'm looking for something that will give me more depth/volume.
When you say "volume" how much more?  3dB?  6dB? 10dB? 

And is that "usable SPL" or a simple calculated number?  Very often you don't want to actually listen to some loudspeakers at the "peak SPL" numbers.  Just  because it will produce those SPLs does not mean it sounds good.

Also "depth"  How much lower?

NUMBERS REALLY help to get USABLE suggestions.  General ideas can be very misleading.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »

Sam, I am tempted to keep my SRX815sp's but I am willing to sell them if you are interested. I have been using them over SRX818's and SRX828's for outside shows and the system sounds fantastic.
(I also still have the SRX828sp for sale - been let down twice by flaky buyers)
Having used QSC K series ( first series) I can tell you that the SRX800 tops are FAR superior in every way to the QSC - clearer, louder and can be pushed MUCH farther without any sound degradation.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 01:24:19 PM »

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172367.0.html

Loud, active, affordable and arrayable.

That listing is for L-track and covers, were you intending to post something else?

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I should also add, I don’t need to break the bank and would like to keep it to a moderate price as this would be something I would use a handful of times a year when needed.

JBL PRX735 was something I’m entertaining for a active FOH system.....

I've not had good long term reliability with my PRX700 series cabs and since the line is discontinued I'd not recommend investing in what JBL is not likely to continue to support.

-------

The best way to not break the bank is to utlize the KF cabs and power that you already have if it's only a handful of times per year, rather than trying to get the QSC K's to cover events for which they are not adequate.

Your stated price point of $1200 gets you a little more speaker, but not a lot more. Would you consider selling off a little of what you have to help offset the cost of a slightly more expensive option?

Something like the DB Tech IGT4 ($1800 MAP), which will likely outperform the 2 way speakers you own and anything in the $1200 'new' range. And you could always add a 2nd IG4T per side (they are designed to form a stacked array) when you need more output -  that setup may even approach the capability of your KF650 system.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »

That listing is for L-track and covers, were you intending to post something else?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post,  but I'm  reading  that as speakers with L-track and covers.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »

I've not had good long term reliability with my PRX700 series cabs and since the line is discontinued I'd not recommend investing in what JBL is not likely to continue to support.

I agree with not choosing something that is discontinued from a support standpoint BUT I must say I have had excellent service from my 4 PRX712's and my 2 x PRX718xlf's in particular - they have never let me down so you could look at the PRX800 series as this is the current version.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.