ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Furman conditioner on TrippLite double conversion UPS  (Read 3941 times)

Paul Miller

Furman conditioner on TrippLite double conversion UPS
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »

I currently have a Tripplite double conversion UPS. I have access to a Furman PL-PRO DMC.

To help clean up my AC wiring, plus gain some rack lighting and a USB charger, I'd like to utilize the Furman. Wall receptacle --> UPS --> Furman --> equipment. But I get the feeling this isn't a great idea. Can someone help me understand why I shouldn't plug a power conditioner into a UPS?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Furman conditioner on TrippLite double conversion UPS
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »

I currently have a Tripplite double conversion UPS. I have access to a Furman PL-PRO DMC.

To help clean up my AC wiring, plus gain some rack lighting and a USB charger, I'd like to utilize the Furman. Wall receptacle --> UPS --> Furman --> equipment. But I get the feeling this isn't a great idea. Can someone help me understand why I shouldn't plug a power conditioner into a UPS?

No reason not to.

After all, for the most part, the Furman is only a rack mountable power strip. It doesn’t really “condition “ the power (what ever that means).
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »

*Most* of the Furman rack mount "power conditioners" are waiting for rack mount Power Shampoo... ;)

They are fancy rack mount power strips with MOV surge protection and lights, maybe a volt meter.  Other than the form factor and possible meter, they are not different from the $10 outlet strips you get at Target.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses guys. And hey I totally understand the disdain for the modern audio "power conditioner" and how they're marketed. ::) Been preaching the same thing myself. But since I already have it...

Basically just wanting to make sure there are no electrical reasons to avoid this setup. I can't recall the details why, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it advised to not plug a UPS into a power conditioner (the opposite of what I'm considering).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses guys. And hey I totally understand the disdain for the modern audio "power conditioner" and how they're marketed. ::) Been preaching the same thing myself. But since I already have it...

Basically just wanting to make sure there are no electrical reasons to avoid this setup. I can't recall the details why, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it advised to not plug a UPS into a power conditioner (the opposite of what I'm considering).

It it did anything, I might agree, but power conditioners typically do NOTHING to the power except slap a couple of MOVs in the current path.  There is no "conditioning" and hence my joke about "power shampoo" coming first.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »

For the sake of being thorough. Would the same apply to a proper surge suppression unit from SurgeX. I also vaguely remember something about UPS and Surge protection not working well together and want to find out if this is BS or if it's something to keep in mind.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Paul Miller

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »

I also vaguely remember something about UPS and Surge protection not working well together and want to find out if this is BS or if it's something to keep in mind.

This is exactly where I'm at. Right now I've just got a simple, sturdy metal 6 outlet power strip with no MOVs plugged into the UPS to give me the extra outlets I need. So, switching from that, to the Furman. I've been reading for the past hour and most of the answers I'm coming across are pretty vague. I like solid explanations that I can confidently relay to others down the line, without further spreading myths or misinformation.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:58:13 AM by Paul Miller »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »

For the sake of being thorough. Would the same apply to a proper surge suppression unit from SurgeX. I also vaguely remember something about UPS and Surge protection not working well together and want to find out if this is BS or if it's something to keep in mind.

In high lightning areas I have seen installs which place a surgeX before, and another after a UPS.

You are likely remembering that UPS’s and generators don’t mix, not likely surge protection.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »

In high lightning areas I have seen installs which place a surgeX before, and another after a UPS.

You are likely remembering that UPS’s and generators don’t mix, not likely surge protection.

I haven't seen SurgeX after a UPS, what is the rationale behind that?  Curious.

For our installs we split 'power stuffs' into three categories.  Surge protection most upstream (SurgeX), then UPS for the devices that need it, such as anything networking, DSP's, audio consoles, etc; lastly IP controlled outlets for remote monitoring and control.  Everything is IP so we can 'see' and cycle power wherever needed. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 10:13:37 PM »

I haven't seen SurgeX after a UPS, what is the rationale behind that?  Curious.

For our installs we split 'power stuffs' into three categories.  Surge protection most upstream (SurgeX), then UPS for the devices that need it, such as anything networking, DSP's, audio consoles, etc; lastly IP controlled outlets for remote monitoring and control.  Everything is IP so we can 'see' and cycle power wherever needed.

The rational (as I was told by the consultant) was to provide an additional layer of security in the event the UPS went squirrelly.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »

The Furman model in question is a little more than a couple of MOV's across the line.
It will power down with over and under voltage power issues.

Unless you need the multiple extra outlets no need to use it.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »

You are likely remembering that UPS’s and generators don’t mix...

Please explain this? I've never heard such a thing, unless you are somehow powering the generator from the UPS, which would be counterintuitive at best but more likely nonsensical.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »

Please explain this? I've never heard such a thing, unless you are somehow powering the generator from the UPS, which would be counterintuitive at best but more likely nonsensical.

Apparently there are a number of UPS designs that view line frequency variations as a "failure" and switch to battery.  Finding this out at a gig will leave a mark. ;)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »

Apparently there are a number of UPS designs that view line frequency variations as a "failure" and switch to battery.  Finding this out at a gig will leave a mark. ;)

Try ALL of them. (well, my experience is with mostly with APC 1000VA and up)
Line freq in not "in range", and they trip.
An almost adequate Genny on a good solid bass hit will trip the UPS.
Should be no problem with inverter Genny's
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.