ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Awkward Sub placement options  (Read 5810 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Awkward Sub placement options
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »

So in short, it's a lose lose deal. Fingering ( comb filtering ) is not even, and SPL that is slightly off is not even, so neither wins. Front fills can be used to reduce disparity in SPL in the middle in either situation, so none is the leader there either. And because the zone of highest coupling occurs in the center with stereo deployed subs ( ala power alley ) you have again uneven SPL if no front fills are used for the near field listeners.

It's 6 to one 12 the other with subs. Which deployment has the least compromise given the situation is the one to go with. I am agnostic to deployment type, I just don't settle on stereo deployment as being what is a standard.
It is all a matter of compromise.

It is important to understand the pros and cons of different type of sub deployments.

Each situation is different, often with unique needs.  Some like a lot of bass on stage, other no bass on stage. etc

I have done all different types of setups, each with thought of "What am I here to do today", as the governing factor., or what is most important for THIS gig.  Tomorrow may be a different type of need, with a different setup.

I don't subscribe to the "I do this all the time and it is the best" mentality.  Unless you are doing the same gig in the same place all the time.

You have to look at the WHOLE picture, not just one little part of it.

Often there are other factors that people on the outside are not aware of, that cause a particular setup to be used, even though it may not look ideal for those who are judging who don't have all of the information.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Awkward Sub placement options
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:03 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.