ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gotta' love Apple... grrr!  (Read 3361 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Gotta' love Apple... grrr!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 12:53:07 PM »

I think we all agree that consumer electronics are a depreciating asset anyways, so I’d personally prefer something on the cheaper end with a lifespan of three years versus something very expensive with a lifespan of 10, everything else being equal.  They’ll both become obsolete around the same time.  Just my two cents though!

Since when does that apply to any Apple product??

I get the "new and improved"-I just wish they would allow for a more consumer friendly upgrade/path schedule.  I get tired doing things their way on their schedule.
Steve Swaffer

Bob Stone

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »

According to who?  These days it’s hard to find anything in the field of consumer electronics that’s built to last a half-decade or more, especially if it’s more than a desk ornament.  Can it happen?  Sure!  Being realisting though, the days of a MacBook lasting 10+ years are gone.  Consumers demand smaller, lighter, longer battery life...  All that comes at a price.  While Apple is certainly in business to make money (and is very good at it), they don’t hide the fact that their devices are limited life.  Reading between the lines in their white papers will reveal an anticipated iPad life of 3 years.  You get a 1yr warranty for free.  AppleCare extends that to two plus coverage for accidental damage.  Beyond that, you’re on your own, but are also free to sell or trade your device to recoup the cost of purchase whenever you like.  Apple products also tend to hold value better than most electronics too. 

I think we all agree that consumer electronics are a depreciating asset anyways, so I’d personally prefer something on the cheaper end with a lifespan of three years versus something very expensive with a lifespan of 10, everything else being equal.  They’ll both become obsolete around the same time.  Just my two cents though!

They are conditioning consumers to want the new one because "better" but aren't really offering much for that $1000/year upgrade price. As mentioned, I have several devices that are 5+ years old that are still going strong hardware wise. It's entirely possible to do at reasonable prices but it's not good for business, so apple isn't doing it. Hell, apple release updates that purposely cripple devices (see the battery scandal) so people go out and buy the new one.

Also, since when is apple cheaper? They're one of the most expensive brands out there. My $500 blackberry has lasted 6 years now without fault other than one cheap $30 replacement battery that is removable myself. My wife has had a $800 Galaxy S3 and a $1000 iPhone 7 (on it's second screen) and is thinking about a new iPhone again because the battery life is getting shorter and it's getting slower without anything you can do about it. The kicker is, she got the S3 within a month or two of me getting my BB.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 01:58:00 PM »

According to who?  These days it’s hard to find anything in the field of consumer electronics that’s built to last a half-decade or more, especially if it’s more than a desk ornament.  Can it happen?  Sure!  Being realisting though, the days of a MacBook lasting 10+ years are gone.  Consumers demand smaller, lighter, longer battery life...  All that comes at a price.  While Apple is certainly in business to make money (and is very good at it), they don’t hide the fact that their devices are limited life.  Reading between the lines in their white papers will reveal an anticipated iPad life of 3 years.  You get a 1yr warranty for free.  AppleCare extends that to two plus coverage for accidental damage.  Beyond that, you’re on your own, but are also free to sell or trade your device to recoup the cost of purchase whenever you like.  Apple products also tend to hold value better than most electronics too. 

Sad that all my life the "consumer electronics" industry has just been one giant "make-work" project to dig or drill materials out of the ground, refine & process them then just smash them and bury them back in the ground not too long after.
It would be nice to see that flow slowed-down a bit, but unfortunately I feel it's only speeding up.

Maybe that's why I collect and restore a few old things (cars, tractors, tools, radio and hi-fi -even my home) It's penance for all the electronics I've had to displace landfill volume with over the years!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 10:09:38 PM »

Since when does that (a cheaper product) apply to any Apple product??

Let me rephrase the point I was making, as I agree that Apple is definitely not an economy product - I would prefer to pay a lower price for a given item knowing that life-limiting compromises were made with the design compared to paying substantially more for the same item that’s only marginally future-proof.  I’m thinking of the late 90s/early 2000s laptops here that cost an arm and a leg with the promise that they could be upgraded and whatnot, only to still be obsolete within a few years. 

They are conditioning consumers to want the new one because "better" but aren't really offering much for that $1000/year upgrade price.

That’s a whole other debate entirely that touches on the overall mentality of our society and economic priorities.  I use Apple products for business only (and the occasional personal use, such as writing this response), but to me for only personal use it’s a tougher sell.  Do I need a $1000 iPhone?  Of course not!  Just like I don’t need a $3000 MacBook Pro to only send email and browse the web with.  That said, for my company I need computers that boast strong reliability, tablets that work with the equipment I own (iPads running the iOS-only dLive app), and the assurance that my products are guaranteed to be there for me for the next 2 years regardless of if I accidentally smash it or drop it off a stage.  When actually added up for my situation, Apple wasn’t substantially more expensive than non-Apple solutions, so it was worth it to me despite being a Windows/Android user prior to 2016.  Your mileage will vary of course!       

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »

I agree with the reliability things-and I am slowly being won over to Apple use by my pastor and few others (though I enjoy the friendly ribbing when the Apple product that just works doesn't!).  My frustration with your comment regarding life limiting compromises/lower cost is this:  for our media setup/install my only choices are a Macbook (why pay for a battery that WILL fail-especially if charged all of the time), an iMac (why do I need a 27 inch 4K screen to cue slides-it's obnoxious in this setup, but tied to the powerful processors), or I can do a Mac Mini-which seems to be the best compromise, but the Mini end up with a tangle of adaptors to real work interface with it and ends taking up more space than a small form factor PC-and costing significantly more than the "MSRP" of the mini by the time you can actually interface with it.

Steve Swaffer

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »

Apple has created a marketing Ploy and proprietary Loop that's very seductive.
Their stuff is really no better, their prices are super high, their losing market share they had
The Apple Kool-Aid is very addictive to some.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »

I agree with the reliability things-and I am slowly being won over to Apple use by my pastor and few others (though I enjoy the friendly ribbing when the Apple product that just works doesn't!).  My frustration with your comment regarding life limiting compromises/lower cost is this:  for our media setup/install my only choices are a Macbook (why pay for a battery that WILL fail-especially if charged all of the time), an iMac (why do I need a 27 inch 4K screen to cue slides-it's obnoxious in this setup, but tied to the powerful processors), or I can do a Mac Mini-which seems to be the best compromise, but the Mini end up with a tangle of adaptors to real work interface with it and ends taking up more space than a small form factor PC-and costing significantly more than the "MSRP" of the mini by the time you can actually interface with it.

The Apple closed-loop of hardware and software is biting you.  You have my sympathy.

Of the choices dictated by the church's choice of software I suggest the Mini, even with the kluge of adapters, as being the best candidate for your use.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 06:17:12 PM »

I feel quite fortunate that, here in the UK, there's a chain of shops that sell 2nd-hand DVDs and tech. They also put a 2-year warranty on most of the tech stuff, with some stuff (iPhones) being 1 year.

I buy iPads that are a couple of generations old, and use those for running the mixing desk apps. They don't cost much, and they work fine.

With Apple's iCloud etc enforced on every iDevice, I'd rather buy from a bricks-and-mortar shop than 2nd hand privately or online - it's good to have somewhere you can take the product back, pop it on the counter and say "It's not working. Here's the receipt."

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 06:17:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.