ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Soundgrid/Network wizards out there?  (Read 5966 times)

Andrew Hollis

Re: Any Soundgrid/Network wizards out there?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:56:51 PM »

To be clear, I'm not having any problems (currently) with dante. It's getting soundgrid to live peacefully on the same network as Dante. Soundgrid is Waves' proprietary version of digital audio transport. As of right now I have to use soundgrid to connect the console to the servers and the imac host running the multirack host software.

Yes I understand. Ruling out a network by connecting devices directly works for any type of device.

Dante does not have any special mechanism to prevent other devices from appearing on a network, so it may be worth confirming WSG is happy standalone first. Other than viewing the switch config directly, there's little to go on here. You could pop Wireshark onto the switch to see if it's capturing any WSG packets.

It’s not officially supported by WSG, but I’ve converged WSG with Dante and other data without issues.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:38:30 PM by Andrew Hollis »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »

Ruling out a network by connecting devices directly works for any type of device.

It doesn't really work with SoundGrid devices, though, because there are at least three devices (I/O, SoundGrid Server, computer running MultiRack) that need to be able to talk to each other before anything will start passing audio.

For what it's worth, SoundGrid is a layer 2 protocol (like EtherSound and CobraNet) which is why it tends to be more switch-picky than Dante is. Unlikely Dante, to my knowledge Waves isn't pushing SoundGrid as a "whole-campus" audio solution, and most of the switches on the (very small) compatibility list are 16 ports or smaller.

I would echo the comments above that separating SoundGrid traffic onto its own dedicated switch is probably the easiest and fastest solution; it should be relatively cheap, too (especially if all of the Waves-related equipment is in the same room together).

-Russ

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »

It doesn't really work with SoundGrid devices, though, because there are at least three devices (I/O, SoundGrid Server, computer running MultiRack) that need to be able to talk to each other before anything will start passing audio.

For what it's worth, SoundGrid is a layer 2 protocol (like EtherSound and CobraNet) which is why it tends to be more switch-picky than Dante is. Unlikely Dante, to my knowledge Waves isn't pushing SoundGrid as a "whole-campus" audio solution, and most of the switches on the (very small) compatibility list are 16 ports or smaller.

I would echo the comments above that separating SoundGrid traffic onto its own dedicated switch is probably the easiest and fastest solution; it should be relatively cheap, too (especially if all of the Waves-related equipment is in the same room together).

-Russ

Well, I just had a mini epiphany. A dante mini-ygdai card is only 650 bucks. I have 2 impact servers with the yamaha cards to go with them to sell. Then I could use any host I want to.

The Dante card lets me have 16 channels in and out of the desk which I can dedicate to inserts. That and a copy of Live Professor effectively replaces all the soundgrid stuff that I have and it will sit on the regular dante network just fine. I fact, I could even share those plug ins with other consoles if the need arises. Not to mention it opens up my world to non-waves plug ins as well.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »

Well, I just had a mini epiphany. A dante mini-ygdai card is only 650 bucks. I have 2 impact servers with the yamaha cards to go with them to sell. Then I could use any host I want to.

The Dante card lets me have 16 channels in and out of the desk which I can dedicate to inserts. That and a copy of Live Professor effectively replaces all the soundgrid stuff that I have and it will sit on the regular dante network just fine. I fact, I could even share those plug ins with other consoles if the need arises. Not to mention it opens up my world to non-waves plug ins as well.

That's all true, with a couple caveats: your round-trip latency will increase by an order of magnitude, and your reliability will suffer (SoundGrid servers don't cough the way general purpose computers do).

-Russ

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 07:36:42 PM »

The Dante card lets me have 16 channels in and out of the desk which I can dedicate to inserts. That and a copy of Live Professor effectively replaces all the soundgrid stuff

I have never heard of the Live Professor Program before.... Interested to see what the plugin performance comparison is between this and the impact server. I am sure it depends on the computers processor..
That would still be one big advantage of running the server.. You can add processing power as you need with the waves servers..
Also if you do not have touring shows coming in and demanding the Waves Platform, then i would be less beholden.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »

LiveProfessor is really nice, I use it a lot for reverbs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »

That's all true, with a couple caveats: your round-trip latency will increase by an order of magnitude, and your reliability will suffer (SoundGrid servers don't cough the way general purpose computers do).

-Russ

This is for a broadcast mixer so latency isn't as much of a problem. And I will probably dedicate a computer just for this. Maybe a mac mini. I don't really do reverbs on my plugins. It's mostly dynamics and then some waves tune real time.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »

This is for a broadcast mixer so latency isn't as much of a problem. And I will probably dedicate a computer just for this. Maybe a mac mini. I don't really do reverbs on my plugins. It's mostly dynamics and then some waves tune real time.

I really think latency still will be a problem if you are adding processing to individual channel inserts.   If you use a Dante Accelerator card for the computer running your plugins that will help, but the latency hit with DVS is huge compared to soundgrid.   Before you sell off all the waves stuff,  I would try to figure out a way to test this setup, renting a Dante card maybe. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.