ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: generator help for newby  (Read 3773 times)

Guy Holt

Re: generator help for newby
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »

... did my math and i will need 12 kw all in , so the 15 kw whisper should work just fine. my cable has cs 50 plugs so i can use cable and distro. plug and play, thanks for your advice  charles.

There is another option that has not been discussed yet and that is paralleling two Honda EU6500s or EU7000s (or some combination of the two) and then step down the combined 240V output to a single 120V circuit. This option was discussed extensively in this forums first TechTalk at https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,150582.0.html.

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »

I will be running sound on a generator for the first time and need some help on choosing the right one for the job. My rig consist of (monitor rack)  2 x plx 3150  ( mains biamp )  plx 3602 and 2502  ( sub )  ma 5000  ( foh )  m32  +  2 DL16  NOT sure about backline. was told it would be a rock act.  lighting is 8 led par cans. Thank you for your time, Charles.

I just did a small street fair, running 2 SM80 over 4 Th118 on a DNA20k with 6 RCF monitors and backline on a Yamaha EF6300.
Plus some lighting at the end.
Up to loud rock levels.  The power output meter on the genny was only on the second of ten bars.
Ran the whole event on one tank of gas.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 01:05:53 AM »

Whisperwatts are great, but in my jurisdiction they require permitting and procuring the generator plus permit and inspection pushes close to $1000 for a one-day show, whereas I can rent the Honda EU 6500 for $150 for a day, no permit needed since it’s under 10KW.

Well Tom, this post prompted me to call my local authority. Apparently genesis are covered in the event permit and I don't have to worry about it if it's in there. It will be inspected with the rest of the site per NEC, so grounding and appropriate cables.

I ended up making a great contact at county who was very encouraging for me to do events and the fire marshall gave me some great info and inside tips.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 12:52:08 PM »

Thanks Tim. did my math and i will need 12 kw all in , so the 15 kw whisper should work just fine. my cable has cs 50 plugs so i can use cable and distro. plug and play, thanks for your advice  charles.

"Doing the math" can be misleading. If you're going by the electrical spec labels on each piece of equipment, be aware that that is the MAXIMUM current draw, and in most situations you'll never get anywhere near that total -- unless, like in Mike Sokol's experience, you get a final "hit" of every instrument at once or your doing and EDM show.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 12:52:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.