ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Alan Jackson at Red Rocks.  (Read 7349 times)

Al Rettich

Alan Jackson at Red Rocks.
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »

Quick question.  I wS on a flight today and was watching Alan Jackson at Red Rocks. Quite. Few times they did a close up of him with his mic stand.  Beta 58 with what looked like a RTA mic taped to the stand.  I know he uses wedges, is it just to catch frequencies that take off?? Any ideas??

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Alan Jackson at Red Rocks.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »

Quick question.  I wS on a flight today and was watching Alan Jackson at Red Rocks. Quite. Few times they did a close up of him with his mic stand.  Beta 58 with what looked like a RTA mic taped to the stand.  I know he uses wedges, is it just to catch frequencies that take off?? Any ideas??
What is a "RTA mic"?  HA-HA

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »

was it pointed back at him ?  waist high ?   possible dreadnaught or mandolin mic.   I've done some bluegrass where it was rhythm section gathered 'round the LDC supplemented with a waist high KM-184 for the guitar.   Also a second 'lead position with an LDC on a straight stand.  up for fiddle, down for mando, banjo.

Chattam County Line uses that setup with Ear Trumpet LDC's

haven't seen the AJ at RR video. so.... only a possibility

Ok, skip all that... I expect you mean the second XLR underneath his vocal mic.  maybe the monitor guy is using it to cancel the effect of his hat ;-)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:08:10 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »

What is a "RTA mic"?  HA-HA

anything that has the look...  from a Behringer exm-8000 to an Earthworks...  I mean you produce the mic you get to adver/monetize the standard that you ah... reference against ;-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:47:14 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Al Rettich

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »

was it pointed back at him ?  waist high ?   possible dreadnaught or mandolin mic.   I've done some bluegrass where it was rhythm section gathered 'round the LDC supplemented with a waist high KM-184 for the guitar.   Also a second 'lead position with an LDC on a straight stand.  up for fiddle, down for mando, banjo.

Chattam County Line uses that setup with Ear Trumpet LDC's

haven't seen the AJ at RR video. so.... only a possibility

Ok, skip all that... I expect you mean the second XLR underneath his vocal mic.  maybe the monitor guy is using it to cancel the effect of his hat ;-)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »

anything that has the look...  from a Behringer exm-8000 to an Earthworks...  I mean you produce the kic ypu get to adver/monetize the standard you ah... reference against ;-)
And how did RTA get to be so prevalent? 

OH, because they are cheap, inaccurate, simple to use and most don't understand what they are reading or what the limitations are, or what to do about what they are reading.  But somehow, all measurement mics are "RTA mics".

I almost never use my measurement mic as an RTA.  Maybe 1 in a couple of thousand measurements (OK maybe ten thousand or more)do I look at an RTA.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »

Quick question.  I wS on a flight today and was watching Alan Jackson at Red Rocks. Quite. Few times they did a close up of him with his mic stand.  Beta 58 with what looked like a RTA mic taped to the stand.

Here's a close-up photo of this setup (or an older version of it; recent photos put the 58 on top using some kind of custom clip), and now I'm curious too. Sure does look like an omni of some kind. Some kind of recording reference, maybe? A different vocal feed for the band's IEMs?

I almost never use my measurement mic as an RTA.  Maybe 1 in a couple of thousand measurements (OK maybe ten thousand or more)do I look at an RTA.

What do you have against pretty waterfalls? :D

-Russ

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 03:04:38 PM »

Here's a close-up photo of this setup (or an older version of it; recent photos put the 58 on top using some kind of custom clip), and now I'm curious too. Sure does look like an omni of some kind. Some kind of recording reference, maybe? A different vocal feed for the band's IEMs?

What do you have against pretty waterfalls? :D

-Russ

The one Alan Jackson show I crewed on...there was a lot of Lake processing at the monitor rig and I'm pretty sure that this mic was for the analyzer they were using with the lakes.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »

And how did RTA get to be so prevalent? 

OH, because they are cheap, inaccurate, simple to use and most don't understand what they are reading or what the limitations are, or what to do about what they are reading.  But somehow, all measurement mics are "RTA mics".

Semantics,

I have now run into enough people that just casually call all measurement systems a "RTA",   yes even that laptop running SMAART.

However historically, most actual RTA's were sold with a microphone and most of them took on a similar form, there were very few, if not many, floating around in that era that did not start life arriving in the same packaging as a new shiny RTA.  Once "measurement" or "instrumentation" mics started being marketed independently they unfortunately looked very much like the older RTA mics and so the name stuck.

I have even found myself using the term, although I usually put the word "type" between "RTA" and "mic"

If someone comes to me looking for an "RTA mic" then I don't interrupt the sale with a lesson on RTA's and how they are the "worst thing ever in the history of pro audio", I just quote them the Earthworks or [lower-budget functional equivalent] with a smile and ask them if  "there's anything else along with that you may need?"
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »

If someone comes to me looking for an "RTA mic" then I don't interrupt the sale with a lesson on RTA's and how they are the "worst thing ever in the history of pro audio", I just quote them the Earthworks or [lower-budget functional equivalent] with a smile and ask them if  "there's anything else along with that you may need?"

Yes, do you have a podium mic I can use?    ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.