ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on DBX PA2 Crossover settings with JBL PRX812's  (Read 1511 times)

Mike Collatos

Questions on DBX PA2 Crossover settings with JBL PRX812's
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »

Hey all, I just made the move from passive mains to powered mains now that I have retired and moved from the Northern VA area out to Nebraska, my current JBL MP415's are just to large for the smaller venues out here so I purchased a pair of JBL PRX812's. I plan on getting a pair of PRX818XLF subs after the first of the year for some of the larger events and just retiring my current bulky JBL MP415 and SRX4715 rig, but until then I want to use my current DBX PA2 crossover and single SRX4715 passive sub with the PRX812's.

I only see a setting for the PRX612M speaker in my list of speaker presets on the PA2. Is this an acceptable setting for the PRX812’s or should I go with a custom setting to high pass the new PRX812’s? Google search isn't turning up much in the way of custom tunings for the PRX812's and the DBX PA2, although I did see one link about setting up the PRX715 series with the PA2 crossover which stated to start with the PRX615M setting and tweaking it from there.

Anyone else using the PRX812's with a DBX PA2 crossover that can give me some direction?

When used with the sub the mains will be for a 4 piece band, fully mic'ed for crowds up to about 50-100 within a 50' distance. Will also do some house music as well before and after band but no heavy DJing or anything like that.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:33:05 AM by Mike Collatos »

Thomas Le

Re: Questions on DBX PA2 Crossover settings with JBL PRX812's
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »

I would find a way to just do a basic crossover function since the tops already have processing built-in.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:18:57 PM »

I would find a way to just do a basic crossover function since the tops already have processing built-in.

This is the answer.  Also, once you get the subs, you can ditch the processor altogether as the sub can give you a hi-pass out.  For now, my suggestion is a basic 100Hz hi-pass and EQ to taste.  I like to take a little of the JBL icepick in the forehead sound out when I can but dance folks actually like it.  YMMV.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »

Ditch the DBX - you do not need it. As also mentioned, once you get the subs you won't need it then either - just use the built in HP. I have been using the same system and it is truly plug and play!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »

Except for a few bi-amp configuration EQ processing and band pass level adjustments for some JBL systems (I think the mp400 series is one).  The other "presets" in the Wizard are ultra generic with hi and lo pass settings (most of those are less than optimal) and nothing more.  Either load presets until you see if you like the slopes and frequencies or Go custom and set to what you want.  100hz LR24 for sub to top is pretty standard and a good starting point.  Hi pass for the sub can be at the -3db freq to be conservative or at the -10db freq to be more aggressive.  BW18 is popular here.
The limiter setting procedure in the PA2 manual (IIRC) is an improvement from the PA instruction (which was pretty bad with miss-information) is more of a "keep the amps from clipping" instruction (IIRC). 
I wouldn't ditch it.  It is still an EQ and if used properly the AFS (feedback) can be a benefit.  Another use is IF you need to alter a band pass level you can without having to work your way to the speakers.  One more is system delay to match to the backline.  Maybe you have all this in you digital mixer or analog rack.

Mike Collatos

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »

I tinkered with a few different configurations using the PRX app and then the DBX and decided to just go ahead and use the DBX crossover to high pass them for now.  I set it at 100hz with the LR24 slope as David suggested and they sound amazing there with the SRX4715 sub crossed at 95hz BW18.

The PRX812's sound 10x better then the MPro415's did, much cleaner and articulate sound.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:45:52 PM by Mike Collatos »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.