ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick power amp ohms question  (Read 760 times)

Sam Saponaro Jr

Quick power amp ohms question
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:38 pm »

I should probably know this,but am not sure. ??? I've allways either run amps bridged or 8,4 or 2 ohms a side in stereo mode. Is it safe to run say 8 ohm on one channel and 4 ohm on the other channel.

duane massey

Re: Quick power amp ohms question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:56:53 pm »

Yes.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 12:30:28 am »

Thanks I figured as much,but figured I'd ask before I made problems for myself.

Bob Stone

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:22:07 am »

For most amps this is perfectly fine. I believe there's a few out there that don't like unbalanced loads, but quite unlikely from the typical big names (qsc, crown, lab gruppen, etc.)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:19 am »

For most amps this is perfectly fine. I believe there's a few out there that don't like unbalanced loads, but quite unlikely from the typical big names (qsc, crown, lab gruppen, etc.)
I have never heard of "amps that don't like unbalanced loads".

Once you start to think about it a bit more, unless you are running the same model speaker on each channel, it is very likely that the loads will be "unbalanced".

impedance is NOT a single number (although many would like to think it is).  It varies QUITE A BIT, based on freq.

it is not uncommon to be 4 ohms at one freq, and 30 ohms at another.

So how would you "balance" the loads playing music?  Unless it is single sine waves.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 10:13:35 am »

What model amp or amp do you have?

In bridged mode what load do you run the amps at, generally 4 ohms is the lowest to go.

In addition to unbalanced loads per channel a lot of systems run different audio band passes per channel.

Bob Stone

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »

I have never heard of "amps that don't like unbalanced loads".

Once you start to think about it a bit more, unless you are running the same model speaker on each channel, it is very likely that the loads will be "unbalanced".

impedance is NOT a single number (although many would like to think it is).  It varies QUITE A BIT, based on freq.

it is not uncommon to be 4 ohms at one freq, and 30 ohms at another.

So how would you "balance" the loads playing music?  Unless it is single sine waves.

I forget where I read it but it's unlikely to apply to anything in the pro space these days. If I remember right (don't quote me on this) but it was something to do with increased current on certain parts of the circuit. Sort of similar to how if you draw current from only one leg of a dual pole single phase line, the neutral sees more power than if you draw from both legs evenly.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 07:43:37 pm »

I forget where I read it but it's unlikely to apply to anything in the pro space these days. If I remember right (don't quote me on this) but it was something to do with increased current on certain parts of the circuit. Sort of similar to how if you draw current from only one leg of a dual pole single phase line, the neutral sees more power than if you draw from both legs evenly.
That ONLY applies because of the PHASE of the current.

Since the 2 legs are out of phase, the total current through the neutral is zeroed out.

But in an amplifier, each channel has its own circuit, and the only that might be shared is the power supply.

Some amps have separate power supplies, other have a common one.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 01:15:42 am »

What model amp or amp do you have?

In bridged mode what load do you run the amps at, generally 4 ohms is the lowest to go.

In addition to unbalanced loads per channel a lot of systems run different audio band passes per channel.
Crest 7001

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 01:15:42 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.