ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Powered full-range 15" Live sound speaker around $1000  (Read 5047 times)

Ron Roberts

Best Powered full-range 15" Live sound speaker around $1000
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »

any advice on what is the best powered full-range 15" speaker around $1000 ?

Venue is small to medium sized; configuration is one on each side on a sub pole on top of a JBL PRX818XLFW

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Best Powered full-range 15" Live sound speaker around $1000
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 12:57:39 AM »

Venue is small to medium sized; configuration is one on each side on a sub pole on top of a JBL PRX818XLFW

Best is subjective, but the "best" pole mounted, powered top cabinet would likely not be a 15".

Why do you want a 15"?

And most importantly what is "medium sized" and for what purpose? Rock music? EDM? Spoken word?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ron Roberts

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:36 AM »

Best is subjective, but the "best" pole mounted, powered top cabinet would likely not be a 15".

Why do you want a 15"?

And most importantly what is "medium sized" and for what purpose? Rock music? EDM? Spoken word?

My apologies for omitting pertinent details.  Purpose is classic rock/pop rock/folk rock/southern rock.
The reason I prefer 15"-based cab is I am a lead singer and so the P.A. is my instrument like a Les Paul is to a guitar player and I have found over the years - at least its my *feeling* that vocals come through richer, deeper and purer through 15" speakers (as opposed to 12").

small to medium sized meaning club or restaurant with 100 to 200 people.

MikeHarris

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 01:52:52 AM »

If you have a sub you don’t need the extra lows that a 15 brings over a 12...and the 12 will usually sound better on vocals.
DXR 12 mkll is under budget..add the SPCVR DXR12 and you’re set

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 02:39:15 AM »

My apologies for omitting pertinent details.  Purpose is classic rock/pop rock/folk rock/southern rock.
The reason I prefer 15"-based cab is I am a lead singer and so the P.A. is my instrument like a Les Paul is to a guitar player and I have found over the years - at least its my *feeling* that vocals come through richer, deeper and purer through 15" speakers (as opposed to 12").

small to medium sized meaning club or restaurant with 100 to 200 people.

Vocals do not come through richer or deeper and pure not sure what that means through a 15 over a 12.  15" doesn't do as good of a job in the critical vocal frequencies and the speaker gets directional at higher frequencies.  12" is the sweet spot in performance over a sub. 

If good reproduction is important to you why straddle yourself to that budget.  You are at the very top end of that price range and within a couple hundred bucks of the Yamaha DSR12's.  Widely regarded (I own a pair so count me in the widely) as the the best 12" in the under 3k a box category.  Find the speaker you like then try and make it worth your while. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:03:16 AM »

If good reproduction is important to you why straddle yourself to that budget.  You are at the very top end of that price range and within a couple hundred bucks of the Yamaha DSR12's. 

DSR12s can be bought for well under $1000 ea. from any dealer.  Looks like OP's budget is up to $1000/speaker, not $1000 total.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:41:58 AM »

First I realize these are above you budget but if you think long term and view these as a business investment they may be right for you. Also I have as yet not heard them in person but I hear very good reports on them.  With a 4 inch Horn voice coil and a lower than average 650hz woofer to horn crossover point these are reported to give a great vocal reproduction as the horn does the lions share of the vocal range. Fir Filters in the crossover and even a manageable 52lbs they may be what your looking for. Again with whatever you purchase try to look long term and weigh the business plan in the purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/RCF-Two-Way-Speaker-Powered-Monitor/dp/B074P9XWGW/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=rcf+15+inch+speakers&qid=1571308251&sr=8-8

Douglas R. Allen

EDIT:  A good look at the horn driver here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ireX_kcQbkk
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:51:49 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 07:26:40 AM »

I do believe the DSR12 has been discontinued and replaced with DZR12 above..DXR12mkll below.

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »

If you stretch your budget up to the Yamaha DZR112 you will have better horizontal coverage than a 15" and a top speaker that you can build on.  What I mean by that is you can build quite a sub compliment under them and not outrun the tops as it's hard to beat the DZR output for up to double the price and even more.  DSR is discontinued but you can still find them and a gently used pair wouldn't be a bad option at the right price, but the new warranty is nice and the DZR elevated the DSR incrementally, so you'd be getting the best. 

RCF also a good option but higher still, perhaps harder to find service than Yamaha depending on where you live, no louder, and frankly I prefer the DZR (or RCF NX) to the Art series as the Art's are so dang ugly...  BTW: You'll find there is a DZR112-D which means the same speaker with Dante' onboard - you will likely never need that so just get the regular model. 

Dave Batistig

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »

RCF-HD12 or HD32 are both excellent boxes and close to your price range. THE NX series is the next step up and are also VERY good boxes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.