ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?  (Read 5822 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »

Dante Via or soundgrid soundcard or DiGiGrid series would also all work for this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:49:25 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »

DVS or soundgrid soundcard or DiGiGrid series would also all work for this.

Not sure about Mac, but on Windows DVS won't allow you to connect I/O devices to the Dante network, but Dante Via will.

-Russ

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »

Not sure about Mac, but on Windows DVS won't allow you to connect I/O devices to the Dante network, but Dante Via will.

-Russ

I'm familiar with all these. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Soundcraft UI/Behringer Xr style mixers. Having a little FOH surface for those would be more cool than necessary. But still, cool things are fun and keep me interested in the industry!

8 faders and a microphone....  WHERE ITS AT? 8 Faders and a microphone......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 02:49:10 PM »

-Russ

My bad, thanks for the correction.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 05:24:41 PM »

You've seen the dLive, right?

To quote one of my professors back in the day "Engineering is the art of doing for $0.50 what any damn fool can do for $10.00". The LTC brings monitoring and talkback to lower cost mixers. Yes it has limitations, but it doesn't cost much and will work with almost any system.

Mal Brown

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »

I found it useful in my ui-24 rig this summer.  As noted above, it doesn't run on ethernet but simply passes it through.  Being able to transmit playback from FOH would be more useful yet.  i can see where next season I may be stringing 2 cat 5 cables and adding in one of the audio over cat 5 setups from CBI or Radial or ...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »

As I think about it, if it could be full duplex and offer one stereo input for local playback, it would be perfect. Headphones, an ipod, and a talkback. All the IO you need at FOH.

Unfortunately once you exceed 4 channels you end up needing some sort of protocol converter.  If you could take the ipod mono then you'd be set and could just use off-the-shelf cat5e stp snake products.

Alternately you could go RF and use an IEM system for listen, a headset RF mic for talk with a PTT button, and then use any number wifi controllable tunes systems that just live with the mixer on/beside stage.  I often have pre-post show just constantly rolling via spotify.  I never hit play/pause, just bring the fader up/down and mute as needed.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:39 AM »

Unfortunately once you exceed 4 channels you end up needing some sort of protocol converter.  If you could take the ipod mono then you'd be set and could just use off-the-shelf cat5e stp snake products.

Alternately you could go RF and use an IEM system for listen, a headset RF mic for talk with a PTT button, and then use any number wifi controllable tunes systems that just live with the mixer on/beside stage.  I often have pre-post show just constantly rolling via spotify.  I never hit play/pause, just bring the fader up/down and mute as needed.

I hear what you're saying, but in the case of this box that won't work. It's using 2 pairs of the cat5 for analog signals and passing through the other 2 pairs for data. Neat trick on their part, but has the possibility to get messed up badly if you accidently plug into the wrong hole.

If you were willing to pull 2 runs of Cat5 to FOH you could use one of the many xlr to Cat cable solutions on the market. This would let you do stereo send to stage for iPod, and stereo return for headphones into a little headphone amp. Or go mono on the iPod and free up one channel for a talkback.

Or get downright crazy and use STP cable. Sheild + Pair 1 for unbalanced headphone return. Pair 2 for a talkback, Pairs 3 & 4 for stereo iPod Send.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »

Or get downright crazy and use STP cable. Sheild + Pair 1 for unbalanced headphone return. Pair 2 for a talkback, Pairs 3 & 4 for stereo iPod Send.

This!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »

8 faders and a microphone....  WHERE ITS AT? 8 Faders and a microphone......
dLive. Again.
https://www.allen-heath.com/dlive-home/dlive-wings/
Just use a wireless mic.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.