ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?  (Read 5706 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »

I saw somebody post a link to a box to be used with headless mixers which would give you a headphone bus and maybe a local talkback or other IO down a Cat5 cable. Who knows what the name of this device is? I've been googling furiously and can't find it!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SM2-TLC-Ethernet-monitor-talkback-system-/323824320312

Be aware that it is a simplex audio connection: you can listen through the headphones or talk through the mic input, but you can't do both at the same time.

-Russ

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 01:06:34 AM »

Be aware that it is a simplex audio connection: you can listen through the headphones or talk through the mic input, but you can't do both at the same time.

-Russ

Didn't know that. But it's still neat. Thanks.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »

It looks like that doesn’t run over Ethernet rather it will transport Ethernet.  My bet is it’s a 10/100 device which makes 4 wired available for the comms stuff.  Plugging the a/b link into a switch could have interesting results depending on the voltages in use for the audio side.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:34:12 AM »

It looks like that doesn’t run over Ethernet rather it will transport Ethernet.  My bet is it’s a 10/100 device which makes 4 wired available for the comms stuff.  Plugging the a/b link into a switch could have interesting results depending on the voltages in use for the audio side.

Yeah I figured that too, but still. It's a handy thing, and a good start to building a "surface" for a headless mixer. With this, a laptop, and a midi fader board you could have some decent control down a Cat5. The nice thing is that it is completely independant from the mixer so you can unplug it and strike if you need to and just go wireless. Maybe build all of this in a nice wooden tray with a lid and connectors. You could have a mini surface that would look really pro with a little work.

I keep thinking back to this SAC surface I saw a few years ago.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »

As I think about it, if it could be full duplex and offer one stereo input for local playback, it would be perfect. Headphones, an ipod, and a talkback. All the IO you need at FOH.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »

Yeah I figured that too, but still. It's a handy thing, and a good start to building a "surface" for a headless mixer. With this, a laptop, and a midi fader board you could have some decent control down a Cat5. The nice thing is that it is completely independant from the mixer so you can unplug it and strike if you need to and just go wireless. Maybe build all of this in a nice wooden tray with a lid and connectors. You could have a mini surface that would look really pro with a little work.

I keep thinking back to this SAC surface I saw a few years ago.

You've seen the dLive, right?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »

As I think about it, if it could be full duplex and offer one stereo input for local playback, it would be perfect. Headphones, an ipod, and a talkback. All the IO you need at FOH.

A 4-in/4-out Dante box could do this (if your console speaks Dante), but it'd be pricy. Otherwise you're limited to whataver you can pass over the spare two copper pairs, which is really only two channels (three if you're willing to run unbalanced).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.