ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hearing Assistance FM72 vs Induction Loop  (Read 5425 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Hearing Assistance FM72 vs Induction Loop
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »

Loop systems have been known to cause intractable problems with single coil pickups.  If you use any instruments with pickups this should be an important consideration.

If you exclude the stage from the loop (and keep the loop wire a respectable distance from the stage) you can minimize the effect.

We don't have a worship band..no electric instruments used during service..
Although I could be tempted to whip out my beloved 1967 Strat and play my Hendrix inspired version of How Great thou Art....   😂😂   that would be my finale as I leave the church due to stress caused
from working on church audio/tech.     

You might not use them during regular worship, but what about special events like weddings and memorial services? There is often a desire to have special music, and that *may* include performers using instruments with pickups. Be aware of where your loop is, and instruct performers to stay outside of the loop.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Eileen Krause

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »

Valid points Jonathan.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 05:49:15 PM »

Hi Mike,
Wow, I had not considered.   Adding to the list of considerations.  So do you have personal experience working with the Listen Tech 216 system?

Yes I do. The installs I have used them work and sound great. As far as range and coverage in those installs I set the power output to the mid level setting and still had great coverage inside. On the high setting I could walk outside around the parking lot and still have good reception.

All of the systems have the neck loop to plug into the body pack receiver for T coil hearing aids. The second report I heard about how those work said it was good.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 05:12:23 PM »

Eileen,

As another poster pointed out you can have a FM system where the receivers have a loop attachment that goes around the user's neck. Think of it as a "Personal loop." This is really the best of both worlds where people without Tele coil hearing aids can use FM receivers, while users with tele coil hearing aids that have the tele coil enabled can be given a receiver with the loop attachment. In fact, for profit venues must have a certain amount of "regular receivers" and a certain amount of "T-coil loop adapters." Listen Technologies has alot of good information on their site about assistive listening systems,

https://www.listentech.com/

Friends,
Firstly, thanks to those that take time to offer wisdom and share real world experience!  It's a great resource. 
My small church is looking to install hearing assistance system and I'm "caught" in the middle of the decision between FM system vs Induction Loop. 
Loop install is of course more expensive (although honestly from preliminary opinion the 50x45 sanctuary perimeter with wood pine floors and exposed rafter underneath etc.. would not be a extra extra expensive or problematic wire install)
BUT--  setting aside price difference

Do any of you have real world experience with usage of systems, problems with either technology?
My sound guy agrees with me that FM system is best course and the Williams Sound company rep recommended FM+wifi system .... BUT 3 or 4 of hearing aid members just say-- put in the loop..
for them it's automatic to their t-coil hearing aids and no gadgets or earpieces needed.

It's a tricky "church folks" decision to make as we want to respect the older group and their needs
but it seems like whichever decision we make "someone" will be unhappy ..

Any feedback, wisdom much appreciated..  it's stressful for me as I navigate but I do have assistant pastors assurance that HE will take the complaint department... LOL.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:15:00 PM by Steven Cohen »

Eileen Krause

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »

Eileen,

As another poster pointed out you can have a FM system where the receivers have a loop attachment that goes around the user's neck. Think of it as a "Personal loop." This is really the best of both worlds where people without Tele coil hearing aids can use FM receivers, while users with tele coil hearing aids that have the tele coil enabled can be given a receiver with the loop attachment. In fact, for profit venues must have a certain amount of "regular receivers" and a certain amount of "T-coil loop adapters." Listen Technologies has alot of good information on their site about assistive listening systems,

https://www.listentech.com/

Steve,
Thank YOU so much for your post.  I have an FM demo from Listen Tech folks they have been fantastic support and resource.
The FM works great in our smallish space.  My biggest "problem" is navigating with 8 or 9 people who have hearing aids but dont' really understand "how" their hearing aids work and how to turn T-coil on and off etc.. etc.

It leads to a lot of frustration on their part.. and I have been noticing that some of their audiologists are not super good at helping/advising them how to use in the real world.
I had one email me that she was "surprised" that the FM system with the neck loop lanyard could work with T-coil...  oh boy.. the technology has been around for 15 years at least.
I am trying to work one on one with each person and doing my best to be patient-- then again with xmas pageant week.. I am already burnt out.
BUT I have a younger engineer buddy who is supposed to help "grandma"
( aka me) out this week.. 
Full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes.  ;D

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »

Steve,
Thank YOU so much for your post.  I have an FM demo from Listen Tech folks they have been fantastic support and resource.
The FM works great in our smallish space.  My biggest "problem" is navigating with 8 or 9 people who have hearing aids but dont' really understand "how" their hearing aids work and how to turn T-coil on and off etc.. etc.

What frequency group did you get for the demo?

Eileen Krause

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 08:46:32 PM »

What frequency group did you get for the demo?
Hey Mike,
Thanks for asking.  I’m using 72Mhz demo.  Coverage is good.  No interference.  And for our 65 x 45 rectangular sanctuary seems good.

As mentioned above, my biggest hurdle is each of the hearing aid folks who don’t really understand functioning of their hearing aids.
Have you dealt with that issue? 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »

As mentioned above, my biggest hurdle is each of the hearing aid folks who don’t really understand functioning of their hearing aids.
Have you dealt with that issue?

Old folks struggling with technology? Say it ain't so!

I do find it troubling that their audiologists apparently struggle with technology, too, and don't understand how their own products work with induction loops. I guess that's just more proof of the disconnect between engineering and sales.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »

Trust me it's not always the "old folks" who struggle with technology.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »

I do find it troubling that their audiologists apparently struggle with technology, too, and don't understand how their own products work with induction loops. I guess that's just more proof of the disconnect between engineering and sales.

Jonathan,
I think a big part of the problem is that by the time someone gets the hearing aid there is a lot built up frustration- from years of losing hearing etc..

And then when they are at the audiologists getting recommendations for devices I also wonder how carefully things are laid out--  I mean in terms of communication.

It's like going to the doctor for a serious problem and they are talking and your brain is only taking in so much-- because you're upset that your losing hearing, getting old.. etc..  and when you leave the appointment you don't remember half of what they said..

So might be best to have someone with you who can be objective and get all the information.    I have sympathy for the folks.  As someone who has started facing my own serious physical "limits" in my life at 67 it is frustrating...  Losing, it plays games with your head.   Not able to do things that used to be a breeze.. well it's interesting, new phases of life.   I'm grateful to be here.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.