ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hearing Assistance FM72 vs Induction Loop  (Read 2028 times)

Eileen Krause

Re: Hearing Assistance FM72 vs Induction Loop
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 05:38:19 pm »

Trust me it's not always the "old folks" who struggle with technology.

Amen to that Mike!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 02:59:19 am »

Old folks struggling with technology? Say it ain't so!

I do find it troubling that their audiologists apparently struggle with technology, too, and don't understand how their own products work with induction loops. I guess that's just more proof of the disconnect between engineering and sales.

Back when I still did IT work one of my clients was an ENT practice.  They had audiologists on staff who did a lot of hearing aid work.  They were as technologically incompetent as any other general user.  You have to work hard to get one who understands more than their simple toolset and who really has any comprehension of adjusting aids for something other than picking up conversation.

HA programming software is universally a dumpster fire too BTW.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 11:03:27 pm »

Back when I still did IT work one of my clients was an ENT practice.  They had audiologists on staff who did a lot of hearing aid work.  They were as technologically incompetent as any other general user.  You have to work hard to get one who understands more than their simple toolset and who really has any comprehension of adjusting aids for something other than picking up conversation.

HA programming software is universally a dumpster fire too BTW.

Hi,
Regarding HA programming software -  yes I am seeing the nightmare with that..  its a shame.

I Wanted to report back that for our small church the Listen Technology FM72 system is really a good solution.  And the sales and tech people at Listen Tech were helpful and supportive. 
Another Cool thing is that I can easily move the system to our parish hall when we have large meetings, lectures there. .
thanks again for those who contributed here  as always a great resource.

Chuk Gleason

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2020, 09:31:54 pm »

Eileen, where are you located? 

A good source of information is often your state's disability services organizations.   I'm near Raleigh, NC, and several years ago attended a couple conference sessions for disability issues, pointed directly at hearing assistance esp. for churches.  Very instructive.

Fun fact:  Hearing loss and the attendant separation of the sufferer from interaction with their worship service is a major reason older people leave churches as their hearing deteriorates.  They get frustrated at not being 'up to speed' on things, at not being able to follow worship services, conversational flow, etc.   So, doing work for helping your hard-of-hearing members is a mizpah. 

In NC, it's https://www.ncdhhs.gov/assistance/hearing-loss/deaf-services

FWIW, I help sound at my church, and about 8 years ago a member family donated a hearing assistance system (think it's a Williams Sound VP-37; transmitter & receivers are switchable for frequency) and several of the receivers.  We just feed a separate mix-bus off our board to the transmitter.  We have a Midas M32R console, and can nicely tailor that feed in a separate mix-bus, similar to our floor monitors;

Good luck!

Steven Cohen

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 12:36:16 pm »

Just want to pass on some recent news. Bluetooth low energy products will be coming on-line over the next few years. I suspect that this technology will be used in assistive listening systems as hearing aids will use this technology. If you are in a position to wait a year to see how this technology integrates into assistive listening systems, I would wait. If you need to meet ADA requirements now, I would do so with the most inexpensive solution possible so you do not have a large investment when/if you want to change to Bluetooth LE. That being said the ADA may have to be amended with dropping the rule that businesses need to supply assistive listening receivers.

Friends,
Firstly, thanks to those that take time to offer wisdom and share real world experience!  It's a great resource. 
My small church is looking to install hearing assistance system and I'm "caught" in the middle of the decision between FM system vs Induction Loop. 
Loop install is of course more expensive (although honestly from preliminary opinion the 50x45 sanctuary perimeter with wood pine floors and exposed rafter underneath etc.. would not be a extra extra expensive or problematic wire install)
BUT--  setting aside price difference

Do any of you have real world experience with usage of systems, problems with either technology?
My sound guy agrees with me that FM system is best course and the Williams Sound company rep recommended FM+wifi system .... BUT 3 or 4 of hearing aid members just say-- put in the loop..
for them it's automatic to their t-coil hearing aids and no gadgets or earpieces needed.

It's a tricky "church folks" decision to make as we want to respect the older group and their needs
but it seems like whichever decision we make "someone" will be unhappy ..

Any feedback, wisdom much appreciated..  it's stressful for me as I navigate but I do have assistant pastors assurance that HE will take the complaint department... LOL.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 12:36:16 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.