ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub to match mains  (Read 3979 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Sub to match mains
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »

Thanks for all of the feedback!

At this point I am not able to replace the mains, and out of the speakers I do have, the PRXs sound many times better than the Peaveys do.

The general consensus from the majority of the leadership of the church is that our mains are good enough, so if I ask for money to replace them it will be shot down, but I think they will agree to adding a sub make our musicians happy.

That being said, since the mains are not going to be replaced anytime soon, should I look at a cheaper sub more inline with the PRX sound quality?
I wouldn't hamstring yourself any more than you already are. If you get a good quality sub now, you can always run it well below its full output until something else breaks, or leadership decides that the mains need updating. When/if that occurs and you have a "weak" sub with newer mains, then the disparity could be very apparent and then you're stuck with either a horribly unbalanced system or having to upgrade everything at the same time.
One thing I would push for is to relocate the existing mains. At the very least get them higher up or even investigate hanging them if they have proper fly points and the building can handle it. Their current location isn't doing your room any favors like others have said.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Derek James

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »

Not if you want to have some thing to build on when there is an upgrade in the future.

As for your comment about getting subs to keep the musicians happy....will getting subs keep the congregation happy?

Most members won't care either way, but there are some who would appreciate some low end.  Mostly younger members.

I wouldn't hamstring yourself any more than you already are. If you get a good quality sub now, you can always run it well below its full output until something else breaks, or leadership decides that the mains need updating. When/if that occurs and you have a "weak" sub with newer mains, then the disparity could be very apparent and then you're stuck with either a horribly unbalanced system or having to upgrade everything at the same time.
One thing I would push for is to relocate the existing mains. At the very least get them higher up or even investigate hanging them if they have proper fly points and the building can handle it. Their current location isn't doing your room any favors like others have said.

That is a good point.  I will move forward with purchasing the used TH118 and flying it.

The floor is sloped forward a few degrees, which does help even though the mains are not that high.  They do have fly points so I will look into relocating them as well.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »

Thanks for all of the feedback! 

I agree that we could have much better sound quality with different mains in a different locations, but at this point I am not able to replace the mains, and out of the speakers I do have, the PRXs sound many times better than the Peaveys do.

The general consensus from the majority of the leadership of the church is that our mains are good enough, so if I ask for money to replace them it will be shot down, but I think they will agree to adding a sub make our musicians happy.

That being said, since the mains are not going to be replaced anytime soon, should I look at a cheaper sub more inline with the PRX sound quality?

Is any of this leadership qualified to make design decisions on the audio system?  Audibility of the spoken word is of the utmost importance, basically they have said the kick drum is more important than that.  Sad.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »

Hopefully you have read the specs on the danley
A decent quality 3600 watt amplifier is recommended plus you will have to buy a decent processor or  amplifier with built-in processor
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Derek James

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 02:56:50 PM »

Is any of this leadership qualified to make design decisions on the audio system?  Audibility of the spoken word is of the utmost importance, basically they have said the kick drum is more important than that.  Sad.

While the leadership aren't sound technicians by any means, we haven't had any problem understanding what the speaker is saying.  I agree that the sound quality of the mains could be better, but we are not placing the kick above intelligibility.

Derek James

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »

Hopefully you have read the specs on the danley
A decent quality 3600 watt amplifier is recommended plus you will have to buy a decent processor or  amplifier with built-in processor

Yes, I am looking at a used I-Tech4000.  Maybe not as good as powersoft, but I have seen a few around or even under $1000.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 08:26:59 PM »

Yes, I am looking at a used I-Tech4000.  Maybe not as good as powersoft, but I have seen a few around or even under $1000.

You'll have to weigh that price against buying a new Danley 10k4 (for example), which has processing and power for not only the current speakers/sub but also future speakers and potential second sub.  I've worked with many churches that 'didn't need a subwoofer' - until they heard what they had been lacking.  Same with speakers - as long as the person on the platform is louder when they talk through a mic, the system is 'fine'.  Until they hear a quality speaker and A/B the two.  I wouldn't discount future upgrades. 

Side story - had a smaller church (200-ish) with a similar cluster.  They asked if they could use a demo system live for a Sunday since 'the old system is fine'.  They were only blocks from my house and the setup was simple, so we did, and I mixed that service for them.  At the end of the service, the pastor mentioned the demo system (no one seemed to have noticed it was in use the whole time), so I went back and forth a couple times between the two systems.  Most people shook their heads and laughed at how drastic the difference was, and the next day they had a signed contract waiting for us. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 08:26:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.