Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Breaking Out an L5-30

(1/3) > >>

Jeff Lelko:
Hi all, simple question here that Iím struggling to find a solution for.

A number of venues I work at have L5-30s available (and occasionally the 30A trailer hookups).  Iím looking for a code-compliant way to break this out to a pair of 20A circuits, understanding that Iíd be limited to 30A total draw by the upstream OCPD.  For some reason I canít seem to find this in an off-the-shelf UL Listed product.  I want a stand-alone box and not something that lives in a rack.  Would it be acceptable to use something like this and only energize one phase via an L5-30 to L21-30 cable?  Along those same lines, would a standard 50A distro (HHNG) be acceptable if wired in the same configuration?  Thanks!

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on October 13, 2019, 08:12:15 pm ---Hi all, simple question here that Iím struggling to find a solution for.

A number of venues I work at have L5-30s available (and occasionally the 30A trailer hookups).  Iím looking for a code-compliant way to break this out to a pair of 20A circuits, understanding that Iíd be limited to 30A total draw by the upstream OCPD.  For some reason I canít seem to find this in an off-the-shelf UL Listed product.  I want a stand-alone box and not something that lives in a rack.  Would it be acceptable to use something like this and only energize one phase via an L5-30 to L21-30 cable?  Along those same lines, would a standard 50A distro (HHNG) be acceptable if wired in the same configuration?  Thanks!

--- End quote ---

What about this?
https://www.motionlabs.com/product-variation/product-variation-698/

Rob Spence:
Just cause it is rack mountable doesnít mean you gotta put it in a rack.

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on October 13, 2019, 08:12:15 pm ---Hi all, simple question here that Iím struggling to find a solution for.

--- End quote ---

I too amp in the process of breaking out of an L5-30 to a distro.
My need stems from a way to get power from my two Honda eu3000is generators (L5-30 outlet) to the distro.
The distro that I have was made by ampshop (which I believe is out of business).  It has two L14-30 inlets with each inlet going to two 20 amp/breaker'd circuits.

I have a former student that is a licensed electrician.....time to look him up.

There are a few sketchy(?) L5-30 breakout adapters such as: https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords-3-Prong-Tri-Outlet-Generator/dp/B07S2DKWRN/ref=asc_df_B07S2DKWRN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366282008862&hvpos=1o24&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12005883587645981778&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-802740272293&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=84691875748&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366282008862&hvpos=1o24&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12005883587645981778&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-802740272293      but they only break out to 15 amp females.

As far as UL listing..............?   

Mark Cadwallader:
There are several which purport to be UL listed. They appear to typically use SJOW cord, so that's an issue if you run them on the deck of your stage.  Run through cable ramps to the edge of the stage, and then using SO cord might be OK (depending on your AHJ, of course).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version