ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking Out an L5-30  (Read 3891 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Breaking Out an L5-30
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:15 PM »

Hi all, simple question here that I’m struggling to find a solution for.

A number of venues I work at have L5-30s available (and occasionally the 30A trailer hookups).  I’m looking for a code-compliant way to break this out to a pair of 20A circuits, understanding that I’d be limited to 30A total draw by the upstream OCPD.  For some reason I can’t seem to find this in an off-the-shelf UL Listed product.  I want a stand-alone box and not something that lives in a rack.  Would it be acceptable to use something like this and only energize one phase via an L5-30 to L21-30 cable?  Along those same lines, would a standard 50A distro (HHNG) be acceptable if wired in the same configuration?  Thanks!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Breaking Out an L5-30
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »

A number of venues I work at have L5-30s available (and occasionally the 30A trailer hookups).  I’m looking for a code-compliant way to break this out to a pair of 20A circuits, understanding that I’d be limited to 30A total draw by the upstream OCPD.  For some reason I can’t seem to find this in an off-the-shelf UL Listed product.  I want a stand-alone box and not something that lives in a rack.  Would it be acceptable to use something like this and only energize one phase via an L5-30 to L21-30 cable?  Along those same lines, would a standard 50A distro (HHNG) be acceptable if wired in the same configuration?  Thanks!

What about this?
https://www.motionlabs.com/product-variation/product-variation-698/
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:56:32 PM »

Just cause it is rack mountable doesn’t mean you gotta put it in a rack.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »

I too amp in the process of breaking out of an L5-30 to a distro.
My need stems from a way to get power from my two Honda eu3000is generators (L5-30 outlet) to the distro.
The distro that I have was made by ampshop (which I believe is out of business).  It has two L14-30 inlets with each inlet going to two 20 amp/breaker'd circuits.

I have a former student that is a licensed electrician.....time to look him up.

There are a few sketchy(?) L5-30 breakout adapters such as: https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords-3-Prong-Tri-Outlet-Generator/dp/B07S2DKWRN/ref=asc_df_B07S2DKWRN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366282008862&hvpos=1o24&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12005883587645981778&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-802740272293&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=84691875748&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366282008862&hvpos=1o24&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12005883587645981778&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-802740272293      but they only break out to 15 amp females.

As far as UL listing..............?   

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »

There are several which purport to be UL listed. They appear to typically use SJOW cord, so that's an issue if you run them on the deck of your stage.  Run through cable ramps to the edge of the stage, and then using SO cord might be OK (depending on your AHJ, of course).
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 08:13:02 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.  I’ll definitely look into David’s suggestion as it appears to be exactly what I’m looking for.  I must have missed that when browsing the Motion Labs catalog.  I’m just still curious if there’s anything in the NEC about building a cable that would only energize one leg of a HHNG 50A distro...  I don’t inherently see anything wrong with this, but then again not everything electrical is intuitive.  Thanks again!.   

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:44:55 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.  I’ll definitely look into David’s suggestion as it appears to be exactly what I’m looking for.  I must have missed that when browsing the Motion Labs catalog.  I’m just still curious if there’s anything in the NEC about building a cable that would only energize one leg of a HHNG 50A distro...  I don’t inherently see anything wrong with this, but then again not everything electrical is intuitive.  Thanks again!.

I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't wire up a 120/240 distro (or 120/208 for 3P) using 3W cable and a 3W plug to a 4W receptacle and just not utilizing the second hot leg.  Half the receptacles on the distro won't work and none of the 208/240 receptacles will work.  If you're OK with that then you're good to go.  I wouldn't want to try it on any gig where anyone else was working because they'd invariably plug into the dead receptacles.  Of course you could label the dead ones as "Catering/Coffee Pot" and have some fun too....

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 06:21:31 AM »

I wouldn't want to try it on any gig where anyone else was working because they'd invariably plug into the dead receptacles.  Of course you could label the dead ones as "Catering/Coffee Pot" and have some fun too....
or better yet, label the dead receptical: "lead singer tablet charging".
That would make for an interesting gig... :)

/end odd early-morning-pre-coffee-humor

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »

I like the way you two think  ;D

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »

or better yet, label the dead receptical: "lead singer tablet charging".
That would make for an interesting gig... :)

/end odd early-morning-pre-coffee-humor

Mike, no shit I had this happen at a wedding for at least 600 right in the middle of speeches.  The lead singer comes up to monitor world, I was handling playback duties and had video on the intercom.  As typical with the wedding band I was working with the horn section had shown up late for call and tossed their shit Samson wireless at me so I had quite the rats nest of crap made worse because I had tried to hide it all with a black tablecloth because we ran out of drape as the wedding planner couldn't measure.  Sorry for the mini-rant but at these huge weddings I am always way out of scope fixing every last minute oversight made by people making a whole lot more money that I will that night.

Anyway the lead singer comes up and starts rooting around in this pile of electronic death during speeches to you got, plug in his phone.  He was pissed at me for the whole night because I batted the charger out of his hand as I could not under the circumstances verbally communicate the urgency of leaving my shit alone.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.