ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Identifying Light Bar and DMX Control Assistance  (Read 2929 times)

Brad Giles

Help Identifying Light Bar and DMX Control Assistance
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »

Hello.  I am looking to attempt to control the lights below, but need assistance.

#1 I’m trying to identify I what these are.  They’re not LED and pretty old.  I know the light board uses a 5 pin DMX if that helps.

#2 I’m trying to control these via a USB to DMX using Freestyle Software.  Does anyone know if these types of lights can be controlled that way or do they need a full light board?  There are multiple rows.

The full dedicated  lightboard plugs into a single 5 Pin DMX outlet and all is controlled from there.

Any help in direction would be helpful!

Thanks!
Brad

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »

Hello.  I am looking to attempt to control the lights below, but need assistance.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Steven Cohen

Re: Help Identifying Light Bar and DMX Control Assistance
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 04:10:04 PM »

Those are Altman boarder lights. They require dimmer packs in addition to a lighting board to operate. Or you can just plug them into a wall socket if you don't need them to dim. Each color will have its own plug. For example, all four of the red lights will be on the same circuit plug, all four of the blue lights will be on the same circuit plug.

The type of lamp you need for these lights is a PAR 38 or R 40. They can be replaced with dim-able LED versions if you want to use less power.

#1 I’m trying to identify I what these are.  They’re not LED and pretty old.  I know the light board uses a 5 pin DMX if that helps.

#2 I’m trying to control these via a USB to DMX using Freestyle Software.  Does anyone know if these types of lights can be controlled that way or do they need a full light board?  There are multiple rows.

The full dedicated  lightboard plugs into a single 5 Pin DMX outlet and all is controlled from there.

Any help in direction would be helpful!

Thanks!
Brad

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »

The type of lamp you need for these lights is a PAR 38 or R 40. They can be replaced with dim-able LED versions if you want to use less power.

I just replaced the bulbs in my front-wash Par 38's with the Cree brand 150W equal. It uses 19W, and produces the nicest 40 degree wash beam of any I've used. The dimming works flawlessly. They're super lightweight now, and no heat. I highly recommend using these. About $10 each at Home Depot.

Brad Giles

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 09:37:44 PM »

I just replaced the bulbs in my front-wash Par 38's with the Cree brand 150W equal. It uses 19W, and produces the nicest 40 degree wash beam of any I've used. The dimming works flawlessly. They're super lightweight now, and no heat. I highly recommend using these. About $10 each at Home Depot.

Thanks for the information!  That was really helpful!  The entire setup is there already at the school where I intend to use them.  Do you know if these could be controled via USB to DMX using virtual lightboard software (freestyle) or does it need the full physical lightboard.

If it scan be used on the software lightboard, do you know what configurations I would use to be able to run them?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »

So they don't flicker at all throughout their dimming range? We've been testing a couple different bulbs lately to do the same retrofit but haven't found any yet that don't flicker noticeably when changing intensity.

Thanks for the information!  That was really helpful!  The entire setup is there already at the school where I intend to use them.  Do you know if these could be controled via USB to DMX using virtual lightboard software (freestyle) or does it need the full physical lightboard.

If it scan be used on the software lightboard, do you know what configurations I would use to be able to run them?
So long as you also have a dimmer pack for the fixture that is DMX-ready (and not using some old proprietary signal) then yes, you'll be able to use any physical or app-based DMX controller.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Kurt J Nemer

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »

i was thinking of the same thing when I saw they were compatible with triac dimming. What color temperature did you use? (sorry for the topic swerve)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »

Does the school have a lightboard with a 5pin output? And are you just trying to replace that with your own freestyler pc?

Then yes, I’d say you can do this. 5 pin dmx is the same as 3 pin dmx. Just get an adaptor and go to town.

If the school does not already have the ability to run those lights, then it will take more stuff.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »

i was thinking of the same thing when I saw they were compatible with triac dimming. What color temperature did you use? (sorry for the topic swerve)

https://thd.co/2BdCV69

Brad Giles

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »

Does the school have a lightboard with a 5pin output? And are you just trying to replace that with your own freestyler pc?

Then yes, I’d say you can do this. 5 pin dmx is the same as 3 pin dmx. Just get an adaptor and go to town.

If the school does not already have the ability to run those lights, then it will take more stuff.

Yes, the school has a full lightboard that controls the lights, and yes, a 5 PIN DMX connection.  I have my own lights that I am adding for our production.  I would prefer to have a source of control (my laptop) of all the lights (mine + the schools light bars) vs. two lightboards.

This has been very helpful!  Thank you all!  Now that I have this information, I'll be giving it a test run in the next week or so. I'll keep everyone posted!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.