Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Help Identifying Light Bar and DMX Control Assistance

(1/3) > >>

Brad Giles:
Hello.  I am looking to attempt to control the lights below, but need assistance.

#1 Iím trying to identify I what these are.  Theyíre not LED and pretty old.  I know the light board uses a 5 pin DMX if that helps.

#2 Iím trying to control these via a USB to DMX using Freestyle Software.  Does anyone know if these types of lights can be controlled that way or do they need a full light board?  There are multiple rows.

The full dedicated  lightboard plugs into a single 5 Pin DMX outlet and all is controlled from there.

Any help in direction would be helpful!

Thanks!
Brad

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Drum2001 on October 12, 2019, 04:33:04 pm ---Hello.  I am looking to attempt to control the lights below, but need assistance.

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Steven Cohen:
Those are Altman boarder lights. They require dimmer packs in addition to a lighting board to operate. Or you can just plug them into a wall socket if you don't need them to dim. Each color will have its own plug. For example, all four of the red lights will be on the same circuit plug, all four of the blue lights will be on the same circuit plug.

The type of lamp you need for these lights is a PAR 38 or R 40. They can be replaced with dim-able LED versions if you want to use less power.

--- Quote from: Brad Giles on October 12, 2019, 04:33:04 pm ---Hello.  I am looking to attempt to control the lights below, but need assistance.

#1 Iím trying to identify I what these are.  Theyíre not LED and pretty old.  I know the light board uses a 5 pin DMX if that helps.

#2 Iím trying to control these via a USB to DMX using Freestyle Software.  Does anyone know if these types of lights can be controlled that way or do they need a full light board?  There are multiple rows.

The full dedicated  lightboard plugs into a single 5 Pin DMX outlet and all is controlled from there.

Any help in direction would be helpful!

Thanks!
Brad

--- End quote ---

Steve Garris:

--- Quote from: Steven Cohen on October 13, 2019, 04:10:04 pm ---
The type of lamp you need for these lights is a PAR 38 or R 40. They can be replaced with dim-able LED versions if you want to use less power.

--- End quote ---

I just replaced the bulbs in my front-wash Par 38's with the Cree brand 150W equal. It uses 19W, and produces the nicest 40 degree wash beam of any I've used. The dimming works flawlessly. They're super lightweight now, and no heat. I highly recommend using these. About $10 each at Home Depot.

Brad Giles:

--- Quote from: Steve Garris on October 14, 2019, 01:55:54 pm ---I just replaced the bulbs in my front-wash Par 38's with the Cree brand 150W equal. It uses 19W, and produces the nicest 40 degree wash beam of any I've used. The dimming works flawlessly. They're super lightweight now, and no heat. I highly recommend using these. About $10 each at Home Depot.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the information!  That was really helpful!  The entire setup is there already at the school where I intend to use them.  Do you know if these could be controled via USB to DMX using virtual lightboard software (freestyle) or does it need the full physical lightboard.

If it scan be used on the software lightboard, do you know what configurations I would use to be able to run them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version