ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: New X32?  (Read 5900 times)

Caleb Dueck

Re: New X32?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 12:33:14 pm »

If Behringer is coming out with a new console, has anyone heard of a corresponding Midas board?

I hope not, it's one of the reasons the Midas name is tarnished.  I'd like more separation between the brands, not less. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:03 pm »

I hope not, it's one of the reasons the Midas name is tarnished.  I'd like more separation between the brands, not less.

How is the Midad brand tarnished?  The M32 turned out to be immenaely popular, quality product that introduced who.knows how many to the brand and primed the pump for a mid-range console for their new you d market.  They actually have fan pages setup speculating on the new products.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Roland Clarke

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 06:45:34 pm »

If Behringer is coming out with a new console, has anyone heard of a corresponding Midas board?

I suspect processing power isn’t really that much of an issue these days, think about it in terms of Moore’s law, we’ve had several manufacturers even Behringer producing 32 channel console with all their features 8 years ago, how much further are we on in terms of power 8 years down the line?  Computing power, is becoming less and less of an issue.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:17 pm »

I think that it comes down to where you want to apply that extra computing power.

More channels requires more dsp. Better quality fx also requires more computing power. Lower latency and routing means that you need a faster dsp.

On the x32 the reason for not having vss3 was that the memory bandwidth wasn’t enough to cope with 4 vss3 engines, so there is that as well.

Add all this up and you need to pick what you want and/or need in the end.

I suspect processing power isn’t really that much of an issue these days, think about it in terms of Moore’s law, we’ve had several manufacturers even Behringer producing 32 channel console with all their features 8 years ago, how much further are we on in terms of power 8 years down the line?  Computing power, is becoming less and less of an issue.

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 07:02:19 pm »

How is the Midad brand tarnished?  The M32 turned out to be immenaely popular, quality product that introduced who.knows how many to the brand and primed the pump for a mid-range console for their new you d market.  They actually have fan pages setup speculating on the new products.

The X32 is a solidly Behringer device, while the Pro 1/2/3/6/9/X are solidly Midas.  Lipstick on the X32 does not make it a Midas, it simply makes it a slightly updated X32.  This isn't to say the X/M32 are bad products, just that the 'X32 version 2' didn't get pulled upward to Midas level.  From the sale to Uli until recently (?; Heritage D is yet to be seen) Midas didn't equal top level quality and support - instead it stood for 'tweaked Behringer'. 

It's like Ford Taurus/Lincoln MKS and the many other 'luxury twins' of common cars.  I prefer the nicer interior of the upscale car clone, and would prefer M32 over X32, but I'm not clueless about the higher priced version being in a different class. 

The X/M32 - the M32 doesn't work with the 'real' Midas stage racks, doesn't use the same firmware, doesn't have the same sound (phase alignment).  It does use the exact same firmware as the X32 last I checked and shares the Behringer stage boxes.  It's not nor ever will be a 96kHz platform, since it's an X32.  Even Behringer/Midas groups the X/M32 together when talking about Behringer, and Pro1 on up as Midas, at least the last few times I talked with them. 

Other than the AES50 issues (physically 'fragile' cabling care and ESD) - I liked the Pro2 and look forward to the Heritage-D.  I've used the X/M32 a lot and it never grew on me. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 06:00:51 am »

The X32 is a solidly Behringer device, while the Pro 1/2/3/6/9/X are solidly Midas.  Lipstick on the X32 does not make it a Midas, it simply makes it a slightly updated X32.  This isn't to say the X/M32 are bad products, just that the 'X32 version 2' didn't get pulled upward to Midas level.  From the sale to Uli until recently (?; Heritage D is yet to be seen) Midas didn't equal top level quality and support - instead it stood for 'tweaked Behringer'. 

It's like Ford Taurus/Lincoln MKS and the many other 'luxury twins' of common cars.  I prefer the nicer interior of the upscale car clone, and would prefer M32 over X32, but I'm not clueless about the higher priced version being in a different class. 

The X/M32 - the M32 doesn't work with the 'real' Midas stage racks, doesn't use the same firmware, doesn't have the same sound (phase alignment).  It does use the exact same firmware as the X32 last I checked and shares the Behringer stage boxes.  It's not nor ever will be a 96kHz platform, since it's an X32.  Even Behringer/Midas groups the X/M32 together when talking about Behringer, and Pro1 on up as Midas, at least the last few times I talked with them. 

Other than the AES50 issues (physically 'fragile' cabling care and ESD) - I liked the Pro2 and look forward to the Heritage-D.  I've used the X/M32 a lot and it never grew on me.

Not sure what you mean by "real Midas stage racks" but the M/X32's do work with several of the "blue boxes" out there. DL151, DL251 etc. Of course they have to be run at 48k which as we know is a down side.

Douglas R. Allen

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 07:09:34 am »

Are the Midas stage boxes compatible with AH, Yamaha and other manufactures digital boards?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 08:37:58 am »

Are the Midas stage boxes compatible with AH, Yamaha and other manufactures digital boards?
AFAIK, not AH or Yamaha.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 11:56:08 am »

You'd have to convert their network format from AES50. KT makes a product for that, the 9650.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »

You'd have to convert their network format from AES50. KT makes a product for that, the 9650.

...and then you'd have to figure out some way to control the preamps (gain, phantom power, etc.). Audio is audio and can usually be converted, but "compatible" tends to imply full-functionality.

The only cross-brand stage box compatibility I've heard of is that Focusrite RedNet boxes can be controlled directly by some Yamaha consoles, and I think there's some cross-brand control within a Waves SoundGrid network. Beyond that, stagebox-to-console is typically a closed ecosystem, even when the signals are being transported over the same protocol (e.g. I wouldn't expect a Soundcraft Vi console to control a DiGiCo SD-Rack).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.