ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low volume on QSC KW 153?  (Read 3958 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Low volume on QSC KW 153?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »

I agree with Scott that 2 KW181's per Kw153 is the right ratio for most events.  At one time I had 3 Kw153's per side and 12 KW181's.  As expected, the KW153's didn't couple perfectly, but I only used that many when I needed 180+ degree coverage, and two per side carefully splayed weren't too bad.  I still have some KW181's from that era in my rental stock that I use as drum subs.  The QSC stuff really holds up well and sounds decent.  One caution with KW181's - be careful when "flipping" them from their casters onto the floor.  My only problem ever came from customers (or stage hands) breaking the 18"s magnet loose doing just that.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 09:29:19 PM »

I agree with Scott that 2 KW181's per Kw153 is the right ratio for most events.  At one time I had 3 Kw153's per side and 12 KW181's.  As expected, the KW153's didn't couple perfectly, but I only used that many when I needed 180+ degree coverage, and two per side carefully splayed weren't too bad.  I still have some KW181's from that era in my rental stock that I use as drum subs.  The QSC stuff really holds up well and sounds decent.  One caution with KW181's - be careful when "flipping" them from their casters onto the floor.  My only problem ever came from customers (or stage hands) breaking the 18"s magnet loose doing just that.

I can also tell you the magnet breaks lose when you let one roll of the back of the truck too!  With the cover on there was no external cosmetic damage!

I can also tell you to set the brakes on your road cases carefully.  Had a load staged in front of the bay door in the parking lot.  It has a good pitch.  Went inside and a trunk had gotten free, rolled into a ladies car in the parking lot as she was backing out.  I came out of the office and this lady is hanging out her window trying to push the trunk off her car.  She was not amused. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 07:35:39 AM »

One more thought, are you daisy chaining the speakers or using a L-R inputs? 

Alan Gibson

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »

One more thought, are you daisy chaining the speakers or using a L-R inputs?

Daisy chained through the subwoofer. I'm Actually wondering how I can chain up all the speakers to the subs if I go ahead and add 3 extra subs to the setup..

At any rate, I've taken the speaker to the shop. It kicks back on and off, so it's obviously something fiddly with it's insides. Thanks everyone for your input!

Mal Brown

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »

I run 1 181 under 1 153 but throttle the 153 back a bit on lower volume gigs.  1 153 over 2 181's per side is a nice healthy rig.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »

Hmmm... very interesting! I have 2 KW153's and 4 KW181's. I've had a couple magnets break free. I replaced them with Celestion FTR18-4080FD and haven't had any problems with those. It seems the adhesive used on original speakers eventually got brittle and let loose. I was wondering why this was happening. What do you do with the speakers once the magnets break free? Do you rebuild them?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »

I suspect that the KW181 magnet problem can be fixed. Here's my quick-and-easy way to do it:

- M6 threaded rod, 1" shorter than the gap between magnet and cabinet wall
- 2x T-nuts hammered into...
- 2x Wood discs, drilled centre for the T-nuts. I'd use 18mm ply.
- 2x M6 nuts

Make a miniature dumbbell: disc, T-nut, M6 nut, M6 nut, T-nut, disc.

You'll have it so that rotating the wooden disc separates or contracts them. Set the gap so it'll fit between the magnet and the cabinet, and rotate one of them until the assembly is firmly wedged in place.
Grab a spanner, tighten up the M6 nuts so the wooden discs can't rotate any more.

Job done.

Bonus points for gluing one side to the cabinet, and a bit of foam between wood and magnet.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »

I suspect that the KW181 magnet problem can be fixed. Here's my quick-and-easy way to do it:

- M6 threaded rod, 1" shorter than the gap between magnet and cabinet wall
- 2x T-nuts hammered into...
- 2x Wood discs, drilled centre for the T-nuts. I'd use 18mm ply.
- 2x M6 nuts

Make a miniature dumbbell: disc, T-nut, M6 nut, M6 nut, T-nut, disc.

You'll have it so that rotating the wooden disc separates or contracts them. Set the gap so it'll fit between the magnet and the cabinet, and rotate one of them until the assembly is firmly wedged in place.
Grab a spanner, tighten up the M6 nuts so the wooden discs can't rotate any more.

Job done.

Bonus points for gluing one side to the cabinet, and a bit of foam between wood and magnet.

Chris

Remember to drill/rout out the front wooden disc to preserve any voice coil venting on the back of the driver..... this may affect t-nut placement.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 01:08:27 PM »

Remember to drill/rout out the front wooden disc to preserve any voice coil venting on the back of the driver..... this may affect t-nut placement.

I had always thought about a strip of plywood width of magnet with high density foam.  Never did anything about it as we have only had two magnet disasters in as many years as I have been on the forums (I think 7)

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:37 PM »

Speakers can be reconed, but when the magnet shifts or breaks loose, they have to degauss the speaker to get thing apart, and then re-energize the magnet.  Very few reconer's can do this, and with modern adhesives taking things apart gets really difficult.  I just buy new drivers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.