ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF TT20-CXA opinions?  (Read 5664 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
RCF TT20-CXA opinions?
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »

I need some new wedges for the fall season. Has anyone heard the RCF TT20-CXA? Are they worth the upgrade from NXL-12 SMA?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Geert Friedhof

Re: RCF TT20-CXA opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »

Nick Andrews

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:01:14 AM »

I need some new wedges for the fall season. Has anyone heard the RCF TT20-CXA? Are they worth the upgrade from NXL-12 SMA?

I own both ,

I owned 12 ) nx15sma and nx12sma for about 4 years and did a ton of shows and events on those boxes so I know them very well.

I made the jump to tt25cxa and tt20cxa this summer and The difference is amazing. They are for sure very pro sounding boxes, I've mixed on and performed on d&b m2 m4 m6 and L acoustic hi q among other stuff like meyer , Martin, Clair, fulcrum... so on

To answer your question about the tt20cxa. It is a great size and weight. It is a smoother sounding box than the nx12sma and def alot more stable. I would call the tt20cxa an amazing vocal wedge but I would not reccomend it if you needed to put any kick , snare or bass in them. Acoustic instruments and vocals sound great though and I've had great luck so far for a keyboard wedge as well.

I'm still waiting to try them as mains and fills or even with a sub on sticks kinda deal. I would say they are useable to about 75hz and then they roll off pretty fast. Nx12sma def do "full range" better
But there is no denying the sound quality upgrade in the tt20cxa for sure, they are alot less harsh and more stable when you really lay in to them. I will also mention the tt25cxa and tt20cxa seem to spill less  (rear rejection) into front of house in comparison to my nx12sma and nx15sma boxes.

When I need rip your faceoff i go to my tt25cxa though... not that these dont get very loud ... but just saying...

Hope that helps !
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:54:13 PM by Nick Andrews »

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 09:17:08 PM »

I own both ,

I owned 12 ) . . .

When I need rip your faceoff i go to my tt25cxa though... not that these dont get very loud ... but just saying...

Hope that helps !

Thanks Nick, that helps a bunch. If I had the money I'd just jump to the TT45CXA, which is incredible. I don't have many gigs that would require the TT25CXA, so I'm hoping the TT20CXA will fit the bill for what I'm doing. I' generally on small stages so nobody asks for bass guitar in the wedges. Generally it's just a bit of KSH and whatever VOX or acoustic instrument they need to hear.

Sounds like the TT20CXA is well worth the extra $ over the NX12SMA.

Any thoughts on the NX10SMA?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Nick Andrews

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:48:56 AM »

Thanks Nick, that helps a bunch. If I had the money I'd just jump to the TT45CXA, which is incredible. I don't have many gigs that would require the TT25CXA, so I'm hoping the TT20CXA will fit the bill for what I'm doing. I' generally on small stages so nobody asks for bass guitar in the wedges. Generally it's just a bit of KSH and whatever VOX or acoustic instrument they need to hear.

Sounds like the TT20CXA is well worth the extra $ over the NX12SMA.

Any thoughts on the NX10SMA?

I think it will fall short on the KSH part honestly , consider pricing the tt25cxa ,its only slightly slightly bigger than an nx12 footprint wise.

Nx10 is cool but I would prefer any of the tt boxes if you can swing it financially lol

Cheers man and hope that helps ! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions ...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:21:48 AM by Nick Andrews »

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 01:28:33 AM »

I have TT25cxa, and use them on small and big stages, and together with sub8004 as DJ monitors or drumfill. I use them as FOH speakers or infills. They are fairly light (40lb?), and not that big. The 60x60 degrees projection lets you put them close together, with very litle spill to the next one.

They are a bit more expensive, but much more versatile i think.

Nick Andrews

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »

I have TT25cxa, and use them on small and big stages, and together with sub8004 as DJ monitors or drumfill. I use them as FOH speakers or infills. They are fairly light (40lb?), and not that big. The 60x60 degrees projection lets you put them close together, with very litle spill to the next one.

They are a bit more expensive, but much more versatile i think.

That's also something to mention about the tt20cxa , you can rotate the horn to get either 90×70 or 70x90 so you have options...  and it actually has a larger compression driver then the tt25cxa... also you have to do alot less work and cleaning things up with the tt stuff compared to the nx boxes.

What I've been noticing is once I get someone dialed in with the tt20cxa I will not hear from them the rest of the night at all, I wonder If that has to do with the dispersion maybe .... just thinking out loud ...

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:39:02 PM by Nick Andrews »

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »

Maybe a larger form factor than would be appropriate for you but I got mileage out of Yamaha DSR-112’s last summer.   Reasonable monitor placement angle, they would have to be maybe 6” further out than the RCF’s you mention - just based on the look.  They are quite clear for this level of box.  I used them in place of my old but good Renkus 12 and horn wedges for much of the summer.

This weekend.  Harvest Fest in a tent it’s been K10’s.  I think it is the best sounding of the K series.   They would definitely want to be high passed if there was screaming kick and bass guitar in the mix though.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »

Maybe a larger form factor than would be appropriate for you but I got mileage out of Yamaha DSR-112’s last summer.

.... I do love me some DSR112s as all-purpose utility speakers, but if I were buying dedicated monitors I'd look at something else.

Tim, if you find yourself trying to unload some NX-12 SMAs, let me know - I'm working on a space where I think they belong...

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »

That's also something to mention about the tt20cxa , you can rotate the horn to get either 90×70 or 70x90 so you have options...  and it actually has a larger compression driver then the tt25cxa... also you have to do alot less work and cleaning things up with the tt stuff compared to the nx boxes.

What I've been noticing is once I get someone dialed in with the tt20cxa I will not hear from them the rest of the night at all, I wonder If that has to do with the dispersion maybe .... just thinking out loud ...

Cheers

Well, I just ordered up 3 tt20's and 2 tt25's, will see how they work out on the big band shows I have coming up.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.