ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with DMX controller and addresses  (Read 5238 times)

Dallas Kruse

Help with DMX controller and addresses
« on: October 09, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »

I have an EBDMX1.

I have 8 LED lights and a few Par Cans in my studio.

The LEDS are RED, GREEN, BLUE, UV BLACKLIGHT. So, 4 channels per fixture.

I have addressed:
Light 1 = DMX 001
Light 2 = DMX 005
Light 3 = DMX 009
etc etc etc

I have a dimmer pack set to start on Channel 33 since the LEDS take up the first 32 channels.

On my DMX controller, I turn on the "Scanners" buttons on the left panel to be able to communicate with the fixtures.

Scanner 1 controls fader channels 1-16
Scanner 2 controls fader channels 17-32
etc etc

When I turn OFF the scanner (depress the button), the lights assigned to that Scanner button will turn on. Even if I turn on the scanner and turn off the faders to those fixtures, the moment I turn OFF the scanner, the lights turn on.

My Par Cans are plugged into the Dimmer Pack so they start at channel 33.

So, let's say I have Scanners 1 & 3 turned on. I bring up fader channel 1 and RED from the LED fixture #1 turns on AND the Par Can. Which is fine because I have Scanners 1 & 3 on so I'm controlling essentially Fixture #1 on DMX 1 and Par Can Fixture on channel 33.

The issue is, if I turn OFF Scanner 3 so be able to ONLY control LED Fixture #1, the Par Can will turn on. The moment I turn off the scanners, it will illuminate whichever fixtures are assigned to the scanner I've turned off.

I'm a noob to this and can't figure out WHY when the scanners are turned off (deactivated), the lights go on.

Only the Par Cans are plugged into the Dimmer Pack. The LEDs are plugged into the DMX controller.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I tried setting fixture #1 to DMX 001, fixture #2 to DMX 017, etc etc. That changed nothing.

I think it has to do with something in the DMX controller but I'm not too keen on the ins/outs of DMX lighting.

ANY help is appreciated.

**edited for an error
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:53:51 PM by Dallas Kruse »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Help with DMX controller and addresses
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »

I have an EBDMX1.

I have 8 LED lights and a few Par Cans in my studio.

The LEDS are RED, GREEN, BLUE, UV BLACKLIGHT. So, 5 channels per fixture.

I have addressed:
Light 1 = DMX 001
Light 2 = DMX 005
Light 3 = DMX 009
etc etc etc

I have a dimmer pack set to start on Channel 33 since the LEDS take up the first 32 channels.

On my DMX controller, I turn on the "Scanners" buttons on the left panel to be able to communicate with the fixtures.

Scanner 1 controls fader channels 1-16
Scanner 2 controls fader channels 17-32
etc etc

When I turn OFF the scanner (depress the button), the lights assigned to that Scanner button will turn on. Even if I turn on the scanner and turn off the faders to those fixtures, the moment I turn OFF the scanner, the lights turn on.

My Par Cans are plugged into the Dimmer Pack so they start at channel 33.

So, let's say I have Scanners 1 & 3 turned on. I bring up fader channel 1 and RED from the LED fixture #1 turns on AND the Par Can. Which is fine because I have Scanners 1 & 3 on so I'm controlling essentially Fixture #1 on DMX 1 and Par Can Fixture on channel 33.

The issue is, if I turn OFF Scanner 3 so be able to ONLY control LED Fixture #1, the Par Can will turn on. The moment I turn off the scanners, it will illuminate whichever fixtures are assigned to the scanner I've turned off.

I'm a noob to this and can't figure out WHY when the scanners are turned off (deactivated), the lights go on.

Only the Par Cans are plugged into the Dimmer Pack. The LEDs are plugged into the DMX controller.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I tried setting fixture #1 to DMX 001, fixture #2 to DMX 017, etc etc. That changed nothing.

I think it has to do with something in the DMX controller but I'm not too keen on the ins/outs of DMX lighting.

ANY help is appreciated.

Nobody can help you until you update your display name to your real name as requested when you signed up.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »

Nobody can help you until you update your display name to your real name as requested when you signed up.
dallas kruse  (together) seems legit (like many allowed before him).

Dallas,
#1 - 5 channels per fixture would be 1 (1,2,3,4,5), 6 (6,7,8,9,10), 11, 16, etc.
#2 - RGB+UV and master does not always mean 5 channels
#3 - Exactly what lights do you have?  Do they have DIP switches or digital controls?
#4 - Chinese generics are often 9, or more channels... with odd control characteristics (channel assignments).

Set a single light for dmx address 1. 
Turn on scanner 1 button.
Make sure "Blackout" is not active.
Set all 16 faders (assume 2 banks) to about 50%.   Anything?
Play with the fader settings.  You probably have (but not limited to) ... a shutter (on/off), strobe, R, G, B, Macro, master, sound active, pre-programmed steps & fades, etc.

Dallas Kruse

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »

dallas kruse  (together) seems legit (like many allowed before him).

Dallas,
#1 - 5 channels per fixture would be 1 (1,2,3,4,5), 6 (6,7,8,9,10), 11, 16, etc.
#2 - RGB+UV and master does not always mean 5 channels
#3 - Exactly what lights do you have?  Do they have DIP switches or digital controls?
#4 - Chinese generics are often 9, or more channels... with odd control characteristics (channel assignments).

Set a single light for dmx address 1. 
Turn on scanner 1 button.
Make sure "Blackout" is not active.
Set all 16 faders (assume 2 banks) to about 50%.   Anything?
Play with the fader settings.  You probably have (but not limited to) ... a shutter (on/off), strobe, R, G, B, Macro, master, sound active, pre-programmed steps & fades, etc.

I added a space in between "dallas" and "kruse" ... which is my real name. :)

My LEDs don't have dip switches ... they have digital readouts and I set the DMX channels manually.

I have set all my lights to:
Fixture 1 - DMX 001
Fixture 2 - DMX 005
etc etc

My DMX controller, with scanner 1 on, controls Fixture 1 on channels 1,2,3,4. 1=RED. 2=GREEN. 3=BLUE. 4=UV.

The DMX IS controlling each light according to it's correct DMX number.

I think my main concern is that when I turn the Scanner button(s) OFF, the lights will illuminate. When I turn the scanner button OFF, the DMX controller is sending an "ON" message to my fixtures and I can't figure out why.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »

I added a space in between "dallas" and "kruse" ... which is my real name. :)

My LEDs don't have dip switches ... they have digital readouts and I set the DMX channels manually.

I have set all my lights to:
Fixture 1 - DMX 001
Fixture 2 - DMX 005
etc etc

My DMX controller, with scanner 1 on, controls Fixture 1 on channels 1,2,3,4. 1=RED. 2=GREEN. 3=BLUE. 4=UV.

The DMX IS controlling each light according to it's correct DMX number.

I think my main concern is that when I turn the Scanner button(s) OFF, the lights will illuminate. When I turn the scanner button OFF, the DMX controller is sending an "ON" message to my fixtures and I can't figure out why.

The current scene must have the fixtures on.  Once you release the fixture button the board is in scene mode.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dallas Kruse

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »

The current scene must have the fixtures on.  Once you release the fixture button the board is in scene mode.

OK. I get that.

But how do I "SET" the scene? Because in order to control the Par Cans, per se, I have to turn the Scanners On. And turn up fader 1, ALL the faders connected to "1" go on.
DMX Channel 1, DMX Channel 17, DMX Channel 33, Channel 49, Channel 65, Channel 81, et al.

That's what I don't understand. If the scanners are ON, fader 1 controls all of the above channels.

But yet when I turn the scanners OFF, certain channels automatically turn on.

Dallas Kruse

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »

OK. I get that.

But how do I "SET" the scene? Because in order to control the Par Cans, per se, I have to turn the Scanners On. And turn up fader 1, ALL the faders connected to "1" go on.
DMX Channel 1, DMX Channel 17, DMX Channel 33, Channel 49, Channel 65, Channel 81, et al.

That's what I don't understand. If the scanners are ON, fader 1 controls all of the above channels.

But yet when I turn the scanners OFF, certain channels automatically turn on.

OK, so when I turn off Scanner 1, Fixture 1 (DMX 005) goes/stays on to a certain setting.
When I turn off Scanner 2, Fixture 5 (DMX 017), goes/stays on to a certain setting.

So ... I'm thinking somehow there's DMX data being stored in the controller or faders or something that's causing it to stay/turn on?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »

If you are still set as 1,5,9, etc you need to fix that first.
If Fixture 1 is actually 5 channels, that's 1,2,3,4,5.
Fixture 2 should start at 6 : 6,7,8,9,10.
I usually set my fixtures at 1,11,21,31... so all the reds are x1 the greens are x2, etc.

You NEED to find what the ACTUAL channel count per fixture is. 
Many have more channels than you think.
For instance, the older Chauvet RGBs had RGB plus master as a minimum.
Not all fixtures will set to the minimum channel count.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dallas Kruse

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »

I think I'm figuring it out now  :-\

It just takes quite a long time to program a scene because I have to turn ON/OFF each scanner to ONLY control a specific light.

Dallas Kruse

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »

If you are still set as 1,5,9, etc you need to fix that first.
If Fixture 1 is actually 5 channels, that's 1,2,3,4,5.
Fixture 2 should start at 6 : 6,7,8,9,10.
I usually set my fixtures at 1,11,21,31... so all the reds are x1 the greens are x2, etc.

You NEED to find what the ACTUAL channel count per fixture is. 
Many have more channels than you think.
For instance, the older Chauvet RGBs had RGB plus master as a minimum.
Not all fixtures will set to the minimum channel count.

Unless I'm mistaken, each fixture is 4 channels.
When I only plug in the first fixture to DMX 001, fader 1 is RED, fader 2 is GREEN, fader 3 is BLUE, fader 4 is UV.

Fader 5 doesn't do anything to the fixture. So, using that, I'm assuming the fixtures are 4 channels?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.