ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to best 'right size' lights?  (Read 3971 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: How to best 'right size' lights?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »

I have a Cen-Tech P98674 multi-meter that has a lux meter and a dB meter on board.
It wasn't that expensive.
Different situations call for different amounts of light, so you could determine what's right for you.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 08:06:59 PM »

Hi Tim, if true outdoor wet location use is needed, I’d look towards either the Elation SixPar Series or Chauvet COLORdash Par H12IP.  Oftentimes the direct from China fixtures that claim to be IP65 don’t actually hold up properly in wet location uses.  Another thing to keep in mind is that even though you’ll be outside at night, the amount of ambient light you’ll have to content with isn’t zero.  Getting four of these types of fixtures on each tripod/totem would probably be about right as a point of departure.

As far as the whole “blinding” issue goes, in addition to what Dave said, getting your angles right really helps too.  If the fixtures are pointed too “head-on”, yes, your talent will complain.  Getting the lights up in the air and off to the side can work wonders in this regard.  Hope this helps!

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »

1) all those scenarios, potentially.
2) Situationally dependent on client budget
3) that is the crux of my inquiry. How much light/lux etc do I need to put on performers to achieve various levels of illumination and visibility?
4) again situationally dependent.

I understand the inverse square law and know about beam angle and such, I have no idea how much light I need hitting the performers to achieve various results. As such, it's not possible for me to calculate anything meaningful, since I don't know the desired end state or "how much light do I need on the performers?".
Do you think you need more or less light than this:

My very basic setup, rgba hotbox * 4 out front and 8 Chauvet units at the back (half t12 half Pro q)
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »

Do you think you need more or less light than this:

My very basic setup, rgba hotbox * 4 out front and 8 Chauvet units at the back (half t12 half Pro q)

That's seems to be about where I'm headed. I just lit a small two piece act this weekend with a pair of 70w LEDs on the ground and it was quite a bit more light than what I was expecting for $50 Solana lights. Something like 10 of those on a 32x16 stage will hopefully be adequate.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.