ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PSA - Do NOT Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet  (Read 10536 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: PSA - Do NOT Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »

Yamaha CL/QL Editors and some Audinate stuff is still 32bit.
StagePlotPro is 32bit, but supposedly a new version is imminent.
Some MOTU software/drivers are 32bit.

Thanks Andrew - saw that the legacy and older MOTU interfaces are affected; I have my fingers crossed that Avid will update the drivers to allow the Eleven Rack to continue to be an audio interface, but development stopped years ago and the team that worked on it is long gone. It's been a great interface, and will live on as a hardware guitar/bass front end for silent recording, but does mean probably having to bite the bullet and get a new interface in 2020.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »

Except the path to all 64-bit has been laid out for YEARS for developers - this isn't a "surprise!" announcement...

I remember this from the Windows world. Windows 3.1 supported 32-bit apps way back in 1992. Windows me dropped some of the 16 bit support -- 8 years later, in 2000. At the time, many many vendors suddenly had to scramble to port their apps to 32-bit support.

Your warning that support for a bitness-level is about to be deprecated is when the next bitness-level comes out. So, when 128-bit OSes are released, that's the time to start porting -- not waiting until there's announcement that 64-bit is about to be dropped.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Kent Clasen

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »

Thinking about upgrading to MacOS Catalina? Download the freeware app Go64 first to see what apps or parts of apps you have that will be broken by Catalina, which no longer supports 32-bit apps, like older versions of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or music apps like Pro Tools or Ableton Live.  The list is longer than you think... and while Pro Tools is 64-bit, the Video Engine is not. Various plugins are also still housing 32-bit code. For the fullest picture, choose Scan for "All Executables" https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

There are other non music/Adobe apps that are also impacted - dumb but useful things like Logitech's MyHarmony remote programming app, Wondershare AllMyTube, etc.
[/size]
[/size]Edited to change back to bigger font - not sure what happened.

I am waiting for SMAART to upgrade. I will download this app you suggest to look for others...[edit: Also found in Go64 scan the Midas Pro2 editor also to be 32bit. Guessing that will not be updated]

From Rational Acoustics:

October 4, 2019 -We’ve been informed that macOS Catalina is rolling out to Mac users at some point in the next week. Please be aware that at this time the official release of Smaart v8 (up to and including v8.3.1) is NOT compatible with Catalina. If you own Smaart v8, and want to install Catalina, you’ll need to download the v8 Beta build from the Downloads section within your account at http://my.rationalacoustics.com.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:25:35 PM by Kent Clasen »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »

I remember this from the Windows world. Windows 3.1 supported 32-bit apps way back in 1992. Windows me dropped some of the 16 bit support -- 8 years later, in 2000. At the time, many many vendors suddenly had to scramble to port their apps to 32-bit support.

Your warning that support for a bitness-level is about to be deprecated is when the next bitness-level comes out. So, when 128-bit OSes are released, that's the time to start porting -- not waiting until there's announcement that 64-bit is about to be dropped.

Of course, if there were a significant improvement in real world experience developers would jump on board and consumers would be glad to pay the difference.

From my chair, for years the main reason I have upgraded hardware is that it no longer supports the current supported OS-be that MS or Fruit Co.  Now, we are being forced to update software to run on a new OS on new hardware.

At the end of the day, I still end up waiting for pages to load and programs to crunch the 4K display changes that demand large amounts of data I/O that perhaps the guy running photoshop needs, but really don't make my word processor/ email editor/calendar function any better.  And, I still have to find work arounds because of all the security patches and concerns.

Sorry for the cynical rant-I don't want it to "just work"-I want it to work the way I want to and be able to allocate resources the way I want to without having to get a college degree level of understanding of the OS.  I program PLCs-even the "Made in SouthEast Asia" ones that require a more granular understanding of the programming structure-but am locked out of basic things because I don't want to do what the OEM thinks I should want to do.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »

Well, for me, I am stuck at my current os as 2 of the macs we have can’t upgrade anyway.
My big frustration is that my laptop, a late 2010 model is 17” and have never done another big screen model. I like it for recording as I can see all 24 channel faders at one time.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 06:53:05 PM »

Well, for me, I am stuck at my current os as 2 of the macs we have can’t upgrade anyway.
My big frustration is that my laptop, a late 2010 model is 17” and have never done another big screen model. I like it for recording as I can see all 24 channel faders at one time.

You can run Catalina (if that's what you want) on most any Mac.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

See my old doorstop below...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 01:48:15 AM »

That limitation has been removed with virtualization.  With a Mac you can run different versions of Mac OS in different containers.  Makes backup a snap too.   It's easy technology to learn with huge benefits.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 12:18:58 PM »

I like it for recording as I can see all 24 channel faders at one time.

What's your DAW? I have a Reaper setup that shows me 32 channels on an 11" Macbook Air.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »

What's your DAW? I have a Reaper setup that shows me 32 channels on an 11" Macbook Air.

I should have said “and I can see it”.

It is Reaper but I am over 70, hence I like the big screen. And no, I don’t have a phone with the giant buttons.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »

Tracks Live says Catalina not supported, but I don’t remember seeing it in the list of 32-bit apps.
Anyone tried it?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.